Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2014, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Corn Gluten meal vs Baracade

I do spot spray herbicides but I'm clearly going the route of less chemicals on the turf for absolute turf health. I'm currently not set up for broadcast applications of any liquids at the moment.

So....what have been your experiences between the two different approaches.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since postemergent herbicides only focus on weeds that are emerged. Any where someone treats with herbicides where no weeds are present are only stressing out the turf. Even if it is ever so slight, it is happening. Minimal overall herbicide stress is proper application in my book.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2014, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Barricade is more effective and lasts a long time. It can also be harsh on existing turf roots.

Granular Corn Gluten can be effective short term when applied at 20lbs/k and if weather conditions cooperate, however it can't compare with Barricade for control. Corn Gluten is a great slow release (expensive) fertilizer.

IMHO, liquid corn gluten is more effective than granular if you have the equipment. It's less labor intensive and weather conditions are not as critical.

The cultural methods you are employing; top dressing, proper mowing height, irrigation and seeding will greatly reduce weed pressure.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-07-2014, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Since postemergent herbicides only focus on weeds that are emerged. Any where someone treats with herbicides where no weeds are present are only stressing out the turf. Even if it is ever so slight, it is happening. Minimal overall herbicide stress is proper application in my book.
Posted via Mobile Device
I totally agree. So do you offer chemical pre emergent in any form...? Corn meal?

I'll admit I'm taking chances with my marketing approach since I don't want just any client who wants a green lawn. Call it a lawn trainer approach.

I'm skating between the full chemical mode of ops and the Full organic camp. Just need the client base with the same needs/wants and or mindset.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2014, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PreM / Pendimethalin. Works great and not expensive. Timed right it works great, but only on lawns that have the potential to be weed problematic. I control weeds through irrigation ultimately. "I" adjust the irrigation to customize 1" every 5 days. I can do this because I'm going to push roots and density.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2014, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
I totally agree. So do you offer chemical pre emergent in any form...? Corn meal?

I'll admit I'm taking chances with my marketing approach since I don't want just any client who wants a green lawn. Call it a lawn trainer approach.

I'm skating between the full chemical mode of ops and the Full organic camp. Just need the client base with the same needs/wants and or mindset.
Posted via Mobile Device
Why decide exclusively between the two camps? We work with many LCOs in putting together natural based plant health care programs which perform well, are environmentally sound and reduce chemical inputs.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-07-2014, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Does the corn meal come from a pesticide free corn field? If it isn't, could it still be considered organic? Just asking,,, because I don't know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2014, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Why decide exclusively between the two camps? We work with many LCOs in putting together natural based plant health care programs which perform well, are environmentally sound and reduce chemical inputs.
Well...since I agree with what you said.....I guess there is no controversy...with the exception of the implications of less chemicals is less bad. This angle got a bit touchy in another thread...

I have decided to steer clear of the safety of pets and humans issue and more towards what's best for the grass, soil chemistry, beneficial insects and what's best for the birds and bees.

I'd Rather Be Flying
Always Looking for Greener Grass
Always Looking for Better Mower Blades ™
Say "YES" to higher mowing heights.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Does the corn meal come from a pesticide free corn field? If it isn't, could it still be considered organic? Just asking,,, because I don't know.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good question. Corn gluten is a by product of processed corn. Since almost all corn in the US is managed with pesticides and genetically engineered should it be considered organic?

Franklin D. Roosevelt