Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2014, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Member

New business owner... Nervous! Anxious!

Hello all, I am just starting up in Central AL and my head is spinning: business licenses, taxes, equipment, signs, cards and websites. I cant sleep thinking about all the possibilities... And risk!

I was recently laid off from a decent sales job in the industry (many of you have probably purchased wholesale grass seed, fertilizer and chemicals from former employer), and I just couldnt stomach going to wirk for someone else again. At the age of 35 and recently married I am venturing out on my own to the lawn and landscape biz. Though it will be mostly lawn care at first, i intend to ease into the landscaping side of things quite quickly.

I have an Ornamental Horticulture degree from Auburn Univ (no Cam Newton jokes please), but I do lack the hands on experience that all of you guys have so I am open to advice regarding operations and office activities like invoicing and quote strategies. I also browse the forums for equipment advice as well.

I am geared up with the basic echo tools (backpack blower, trimmer, edger, hedge clipper, etc...)and I think I am going Grasshopper 48'' outfront on my first mower. Thats the only decent dealer within 25 miles of here, and i hope to get some aeravation biz going pretty soon. Thats me in a nutshell, so let me know if I can help you guys in any way, and I wont hesitate to ask you seasoned guys for some advice. Thanks in advance for the support--Im gonna need it!