Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2014, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My echo 755T has been a tornado for six seasons now...no signs of slowing down at all...although I had to replace straps twice, but other than that...
Old 03-06-2014, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

For leaves, Backpack is the way to go. lots more power. Handhelds are good for touch up blowing and stihl has a nice gutter attachment. But the handhelds also seem to need more maintenance.

Tyler
20 Years Old 2005 Chevy 1500 silverado 2wd•1993 John Deere 425 customized•2013 Atlas 8’ By 20’ Enclosed trailer• 2011 Carry-On 5’ By 10’ Open trailer•Brush Bandit 65 Brush Chipper•Toro titan Zero turn mower •Tons of Stihl Equipment, tools, walkbehind equipment, and safety gear.
Picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=420600
Do what you love, and you never work a day in your life!
Old 03-07-2014, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

IF you are going to go handheld the Stihl BG86 is the only one worth having... 154mph with the round end and 190 with the flat. We've got both. For a long time all we ran were handhelds because they were "disposable". After disposing 2 or 3 at the end of each season, it adds up after awhile.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Need both.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A handheld serves zero purpose in our outfit...would never even consider...never will. It is a home owner tool, or a kids start up "mow the neighbors' yard for 15 bucks" type of deal. To each their own.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hand held blowers are great for homeowners...for commercial use they are pretty much pointless. Get a backpack or dont get a blower is basically what a handheld blower amounts to for commercial use...nothing...just save yourself the frustration and get the biggest back pack you can afford. You wont regret it
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 03-08-2014, 07:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^ wow ^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-08-2014, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Why do so many people on here speak in absolutes? "Handhelds are junk" ,"buy the biggest honkin air mover made". Not everybody has limitless resources or the need to have bragging rights. Obviously there is a huge market for handheld and the small/midsize backpacks, otherwise there wouldn't be such a vast arrray available. We don't do much leaf work here so the mid sizes have proved a cost, fuel and weight savings. It doesn't take the largest blower on the market to move grass clippings and a little dirt or debris. Which is what most guys are doing most of the time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2014, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My post was a little harsh. Handhelds have their place, dont get me wrong. They are great for getting in those tight spots when cleaning out mulch beds and what not. Me personally, I dont like using them, I would rather have the big backpack. If the OP is planning on doing any leave removal, I would definatley get the BP for the ability to move more leaves faster.
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 03-08-2014, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Why do so many people on here speak in absolutes? "Handhelds are junk" ,"buy the biggest honkin air mover made". Not everybody has limitless resources or the need to have bragging rights. Obviously there is a huge market for handheld and the small/midsize backpacks, otherwise there wouldn't be such a vast arrray available. We don't do much leaf work here so the mid sizes have proved a cost, fuel and weight savings. It doesn't take the largest blower on the market to move grass clippings and a little dirt or debris. Which is what most guys are doing most of the time.
Posted via Mobile Device

This,

Plus handheld is more maneuverable for gutting into corners of beds or under shrubs blowing out debris without clearing the entire bed of all mulch.

If most of what you're doing is cleaning up grass clipping from mowing and trimming, and/or debris from hedge trimming… the hand held blower is adequate.

For fall clean up, I never understand why guys got away from fradan/little wonder/ giant vac wheel blowers.
Ill use those and routinely run circles around guys doing "fall clean up" with back packs.
I always thought they were just standing there, staring at a windrow of leaves warming their hands?
Never really realized they thought they were cleaning them up?

Right tool, right job…. too many people try to buy one thing to do all things.

In truth, even the BIGGEST back pack, is an intermediate blower… there are smaller less effective ones and much more powerful more effective ones.

They all have their purpose.

I haven't personally owned a backpack in years.
I find Im either doing something large or small, not in-between.

Oddly, todays handhelds have about the power of yesterdays backpacks…so it's all relative.

Ill say this tho, some of the handhelds have enough torque to map your wrist hurt… this doesn't happen with backpacks unless your humping the mega big boys.

some people may find that just a simple, mid range back pack is best of all worlds, especially if not engaged in large cleanups.