Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2014, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
Then why do you continually try to change peoples bad habits with no results? Isn't that Insanity too?

Posted via Mobile Device

Probably because not trying creates dinoinsanity! Plus its part of the job.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is also the most ethical and responsible thing to do. I will not entertain people who think my spray boom is supposed to fix incorrect mowing and irrigation. I also am realistic about what grass will do in shade. Can't tell people to cut down their house or their neighbor's house. But, either thin out trees and shrubs or accept areas where only ferns and foliage plants grow.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-07-2014, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ever have those customers who say. "Look how good my neighbors lawn looks and they never do nothing". It's not that they do nothing. They do allot wrong! They just don't overirrigate. The primary fault of most hard to manage landscapes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2014, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have the opposite problem many times. 1/4" of water is not enough when it has not rained in months and the daytime highs are near 90. There is also the issue of scheduling. Even a full inch of water can be harmful if it is applied in short waterings that are too often. But the main problem is that it will cost $400 per month in just water to keep 1/2 acre of landscaping healthy. Not enough water brings spider mites, mealybugs, and other insect pests that target drought stressed plants, as well as grassy weeds that take over dried out lawns.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Ever have those customers who say. "Look how good my neighbors lawn looks and they never do nothing". It's not that they do nothing. They do allot wrong! They just don't overirrigate. The primary fault of most hard to manage landscapes.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll bet you a beer that if you walk them over to their neighbors yard they will see that their own yard looks better from there.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-07-2014, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If something is being done wrong by the neighbor, it is only a matter of time before it catches up. I also do not buy into the "they don't do nothing". There is usually a lot of work done, just that it is not often seen.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
I'll bet you a beer that if you walk them over to their neighbors yard they will see that their own yard looks better from there.
80% of the time... Guaranteed. It's just because it hasn't been mowed in a while and from across the view it looks rictor. It's also easy to defeat that argument, but on rare occasion, you come across one. that does. That scenario is even easier to gain evidence that your cultural guidance is a necessary

Sorry I didn't take the beer bet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2014, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Then why do you continually try to change peoples bad habits with no results? Isn't that Insanity too?

The older clients 65+ are typically the ones who want the scalp mowing, gotta be bagged, water every or most every evening...

I'm considering cutting all clients loose who insist on driving driving me crazy with this kind of behaviour...problem is I need them for snow clients... ...then again maybe this is a wake up call to get out of the snow biz.

Parking lot plowing may pay decent but residential snow blowing is pretty iffy margin wise and the 24/7 plus holiday standby...makes it questionable...?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2014, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Maybe I didn't explain it fully but I don't try to change them anymore. I just take control of the controller. Most of them are happy for me to do this. The ones I don't mow and control irrigation I make an initial attempt to teach them but after a certain point I let it go.

To a certain point it's my way or the highway, but done in a nice professional way.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Whether someone allows me to handle the irrigation without interference is my test as to if I keep them. The smart ones do and reap the benefits. Water the wrong way in my area and it is very possible to have a dried out lawn that grows sedges. Controllers in locked up areas are a red flag. Most installing contractors prefer to have them on an outside wall. They do not put them in locked rooms or behind garage doors unless the customer insists. No customer with a locked up controller has been with me for very long.