Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2014, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by threepointchamp View Post
A double edged sword my friend. There is no reason to mowing a heat stressed lawn that is dormant and not irrigated, yet I see it all the time.
I agree, that's why I skip when it's dormant and heat stressed So I don't destroy it to make 40 bucks. I would appreciate the same courtesy from trugreen, but they don't give a sh!t about anything but making quotas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2014, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was a tech there for way to long. We were trained to be production machines, very little to do with lawn care. I admit they started trying to change things with the Advantedge training thing in early 2000's.. And it was great to finally take time to learn more. They even brought in a horticultrist from the local technical school to do training with about once or twice a month. I got to a point where i felt i was doing a great service for the customer and still hitting my numbers. Prices kept going lower each year while the goals went up. This seemed to be because of the new salespeople under high pressure who would lie on the square footage to give that $29 per app price for that 10,000 Sq. Ft. lawn. I had MANY like that. I finally said enoughs enough.

I don't feel like just because i worked there that i have carried on any kind of bad habits to my own business, if anything i learned how NOT to do things... Still, they do pretty good in my area. Most people that call me for estimates that have them are usually only concerned with one thing aoout trugreen and that is the price increase... Its about time some of these people reaslie how much it really costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenningsLandscaping View Post
I agree, that's why I skip when it's dormant and heat stressed So I don't destroy it to make 40 bucks. I would appreciate the same courtesy from trugreen, but they don't give a sh!t about anything but making quotas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2014, 06:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post

My problem is our local TruGreen finally got some really good managers. So for the past few years, they became a very good. No easy pickings for me anymore. (just my dumb luck) lol
The above statement sure doesn't say a whole lot for the quality of your work.

I tell my customers I am charging for RESULTS not treatment. As a result my prices are over twice that of TG/CL and I still take accounts from them.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgialawn88 View Post
you just threw them under the bus. that was not good business practice
Quote:
Originally Posted by threepointchamp View Post
Throwing them under the bus on this site is one thing... throwing them under the bus to gain a customer because your service doesn't sell itself, different story.
I am not trying to gain anything but stating the facts that are already out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi J. View Post
You are absolutely right. Customers don't want to hear you bash any of your competitors. It also makes you look like a creep as well. I just always point out that we are locally owned and operated. I also point out to them that although they may be cheaper.. You get what you pay for.

I will bash them on here all day though. They don't give 2 shits about their customers. They lie and confuse older people and are encouraged to do so by upper management. Karma is a ***** and Tru green is getting theirs lol
Yeah...You never want to resort to "trash talk" of your competition when interacting with current or potential customers. Those type of negative tactics just give the whole industry a back eye. Unfortunately that is what Scott's is doing with their mailers. The whole "us vs. them" scenario. "And we're better than them." marketing.

As far as TruGreen goes, expect to see C.D&R sell them off in the next year or so.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

D. D&R? who is that?

I've heard so many horror stories about them and this year is worse than ever. I tell people up front, "If you are going on price, hire TruGreen..." People right there usually stop me and tell a story about them. It seems everyone has tried them once and will never hire them again.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvalley View Post
C. D&R? who is that?

I've heard so many horror stories about them and this year is worse than ever. I tell people up front, "If you are going on price, hire TruGreen..." People right there usually stop me and tell a story about them. It seems everyone has tried them once and will never hire them again.
TruGreen's parent company, "'Clayton, Dubilier and Rice"'
They are a private investment group headquartered in New York City.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Member

ty
much apprecited
Old 03-15-2014, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I pulled up after they treated one of my old mowing clients lawn last week... $78 dollars for 6,000 Sq. Ft. According to the invoice they applied only prodiamine, and i believe that because there was no smell of any broadleaf weed control and they had just left. (i always heard they stopped blanket apping weed control, but didn't believe it.. guess its true) There was no grass on this guys lawn anymore. it was 95% weeds! the customer wanted a spring seeding. so trugreen had a Spring aeration and overseeding scheduled for the same customer but put out the pre-emergent i guess by mistake. The guy was mad, all i could say was.. "i told ya it would be a headache..." He said they won't return his calls either. He was an old man, i feel like they kinda took advantage of him. Same old, same old there.. but still people here seem to LOVE them.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, that is really high for a TG program...generally 55 or so here for that size per treatment.

I noticed that they have gone WAY up on their price this year vs. last. Last year we couldn't even compete with them...now they fall in line with everyone else....I think it is an effort to actually apply the correct material, but they had to go up on pricing to do so. If this doesn't work, then I think they may be sold.

The people that love them or the ones who are cheap and only shop price
Old 03-16-2014, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
...(i always heard they stopped blanket apping weed control, but didn't believe it.. guess its true)...
TruGreen puts the following statement in a lot of their advertising...

"Our proprietary patented DUAL LINE technology for delivering targeted weed control only when and where needed."

As I understand it, TruGreen's trucks spray reels are retrofitted with 2 separate hoses that are fused together as one, with one spray gun. Pulling the trigger half-way is just fertilizer, and pulled all the way back is fert w/ weed control.