Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2014, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Even if a controller is set up properly and the system properly adjusted. Many of the older clients seem to think they know best and will manually advance the system in the early evening or late afternoon since they are convinced the lawn needs a drink. Even my own dad in his 80's will do this. These habits and patterns are tough to break.

Of course since they've been on the planet longer or had some lawn award at some point....they're the experts and know what's best.

Actually in my area many residentials, commercials and the worst ones are homeowner association green belts are set to water at the wrong times. All this tends to confuse folks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2014, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Whether someone allows me to handle the irrigation without interference is my test as to if I keep them. The smart ones do and reap the benefits. Water the wrong way in my area and it is very possible to have a dried out lawn that grows sedges. Controllers in locked up areas are a red flag. Most installing contractors prefer to have them on an outside wall. They do not put them in locked rooms or behind garage doors unless the customer insists. No customer with a locked up controller has been with me for very long.
Unfortunately, it is very unusual here to have the controller on an outside wall.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 03-08-2014, 11:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Unfortunately, it is very unusual here to have the controller on an outside wall.
Extremely rare to have an outdoor controller here. Most are inside garages.

This years lawn factoid hand out for clients will have some carefully worded "your lawn will suffer if you don't XYZ". It takes about a year + for struggling lawns to bounce back.

As I have said before in other threads...the lawn I inherited at the house here had 3/4" thatch layer and looked like garbage. The person who used to maintain it and control its care lives a short distance away. His lawn looks horrid. Mowed low, thatch galore, fertilized at the wrong times and the list goes on. Whenever fairy ring shows up...he literally stops watering since he claims the water is causing the mushrooms. Lawn goes partially dormant. He says he'd rather have a dry lawn than mushrooms. Tried to educate him but when your mind is already made up...?

I aerated his lawn a few years back and told him break up the plugs side diacharge. Sure enough he put the catcher on and created a tremendous dirt cloud and the plugs went into the garden area.

Folks want to hit the easy button...quick and easy.

Thinking about this has been a demotivator...need to go to the gym and clear my head.

Let's hear some success stories...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2014, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
No good reason in my area to have a controller inside.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-08-2014, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact Rototilling View Post
Even if a controller is set up properly and the system properly adjusted. Many of the older clients seem to think they know best and will manually advance the system in the early evening or late afternoon since they are convinced the lawn needs a drink. Even my own dad in his 80's will do this. These habits and patterns are tough to break.

Of course since they've been on the planet longer or had some lawn award at some point....they're the experts and know what's best.

Actually in my area many residentials, commercials and the worst ones are homeowner association green belts are set to water at the wrong times. All this tends to confuse folks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Before I cut someone off for this, I acknowledge that golf courses do water at night. I also explain the cost and scope of the fungicide program needed to keep the grass healthy. Do you want me here every 14 days to apply chemicals that you are going to pay for?

Old 03-08-2014, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
No good reason in my area to have a controller inside.
If they are mounted inside I tell them I'll install a wireless remote keypad for them if they buy it. They're only $25 or so. Heck I'd buy it if needed. Most of my customers know & trust me so they go along with this. If this won't work I'll offer to move the controller if feasable. I'm an irrigator so not a big deal. This works for me.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Before I cut someone off for this, I acknowledge that golf courses do water at night. I also explain the cost and scope of the fungicide program needed to keep the grass healthy. Do you want me here every 14 days to apply chemicals that you are going to pay for?
Excellent point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2014, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Once that is on the table, I then share that just about all fungicides have a limitation on how much AI may be applied and how many times a year they may be applied. Does not take long to run up to that limit. Once I reach those limits TS, the lawn rots, and rot it does. Humidity = temperature at night every night, no water on the grass within 4 hours of sun down unless brown patch, dollar spot, and leaf spot are desired. Short cycle the irrigation so that only the surface stays wet, that is an invitation for Take All in my area. I would not be so uptight about water if I could apply unlimited applications of chlorthalonil or mancozeb, but those days are long over.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
I more or less agree with ArTurf but like that you are thinking outside the box Exact. Trouble is, most customers are stuck not just in the box but in one dark corner of the box. In our area I don't find most of the sprinkler companies to be misinformed.

I wonder how far away we are from controllers that can be run remotely for customers via some app their LCO can operate. I know some golf course systems have a lot of bells and whistles enabling such a thing but I don't know about one company being able to operate 50 or more systems. The factor I see ignored most often on athletic fields is day-length, how it changes from early Spring to mid-Fall. Running a real close second is failing to shut systems down after it rains or, worse, while it is raining. Having more than one person operating or authorized to operate irrigation on athletic fields is a disaster too.

Good luck refining your idea. Let us know how it works out either way please.
The remote control systems are already out there. Mostly golf or large commercial props. Probably cost prohibitive at this point for residential but maybe one day. Don't hold your breath though.