Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-09-2014, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by american dream View Post
I totally agree give me a angle grinder and flap disk and ill give you a samurai sword mower blade faster than you can say sushi!!
I use to think that for a lot years till I bought mine and 2 passes and they are done and keeps same angle My blades last longer now vs hand grinder
I can sharpen a blade in same amount time takes a person to lock a blade in the vise
Old 03-09-2014, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

We have three grinders in the shop now. The standard Oregon stone wheel grinder, a Magna matic & a Burr King 760. Without a doubt the Burr King is the only way to go. It's fairly expensive, in the $3000 ball park, but man it's sweet. I'd personally start out with a 4.5" angle grinder with a flap wheel and save my dollars until I can get a Burr King. Check out the Burr King channel on YouTube, they are awesome plus they are an American company with American built machines.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winchester83 View Post
We have three grinders in the shop now. The standard Oregon stone wheel grinder, a Magna matic & a Burr King 760. Without a doubt the Burr King is the only way to go. It's fairly expensive, in the $3000 ball park, but man it's sweet. I'd personally start out with a 4.5" angle grinder with a flap wheel and save my dollars until I can get a Burr King. Check out the Burr King channel on YouTube, they are awesome plus they are an American company with American built machines.
I second the But King! I've been using one for a few seasons now and wish I had bought one 30 years ago. Way faster and easier than any beach grinder we've ever used. Works well for other metal fab work too.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2014, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhakarter View Post
Hey all, I currently just use a handheld grinder with a sanding pad typically to sharpen my blades. I am getting to the point where I have to many blades to sharpen and it just isnt a great way to do it anymore. Anyone have any insight on a good blade sharpener to buy?

Thanks
My vote is for Magna Matic. I start by slightly flattening the edge with a bench grinder to cut down so the knicks are removed, then I side grind it to be my basic angle back in the blade, and then finish it off on my Magna Matic sharpener and balancer. I am not sharpening a ton of blades a week, so I can afford the time and effort for this process.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2014, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a 10 inch grinding wheel 36 grit, for many years, and it is perfect, and I have sharpened a thousand blades or more, with no problems.