Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2014, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Newbie here located in Missouri. I'm looking for used equipment. I am "mow and go" residential operation so I don't need any zero turns or anything too fancy just yet.

Here's what I'm looking for:

A 21 push mower. I have my main mower already so I'm just looking for a mower that is in decent shape that can serve as a backup in case the main mower goes down.

Blower (Backpack blower preferred), Edger, Trimmer, Misc. tools

Since I am just starting up, I'm on a shoestring budget so please take this into consideration if you make me an offer on any equipment. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Lawn View Post
If you owned a farm, then yes you can purchase on "Tax Exempt", there is an acreage size but I don't remember that. As an applicator performing a service, you do not need to charge them a sales tax. You only charge sales tax if you are reselling them the product but not as a service, which you are selling them, a service, "Fertilizing".
Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned I'm in Kansas..
Old 03-11-2014, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachj265 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned I'm in Kansas..
I still don't think you need to charge a sales tax in Kansas. Here is the best answer I can give, call the Department of Revenue, ask if there is a sales tax on services. Remember, you are selling a service, not a product or goods. I say that because, there are different terms used in determining if there is a sales tax that is needed. By the way, do you want to charge and pay sales tax income.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I still don't think you need to charge a sales tax in Kansas. Here is the best answer I can give, call the Department of Revenue, ask if there is a sales tax on services. Remember, you are selling a service, not a product or goods. I say that because, there are different terms used in determining if there is a sales tax that is needed. By the way, do you want to charge and pay sales tax income.
In Kansas, if you leave something on the property, like mulch, fert, plants, etc, you need to charge sales tax.

No tax for mowing.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLC2000 View Post
In Kansas, if you leave something on the property, like mulch, fert, plants, etc, you need to charge sales tax.

No tax for mowing.
This is correct.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2014, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
This is correct.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am glad you replied. I was going to send him to you but I could not remember your ID. I am glad I don't do business in Kansas yet, what a pain to incorporate sales tax.
Hey, KS_Grasscutter, how are those GS working out?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I spoke with dol and was advised I need to obtain a sales tax registration for pesticide applications. I can purchase the products tax exempt but must charge the customer sales tax for the product and labor. All other services are exempt of charging sales as long as it is residential and not considered a commercial remodel job. Trees, mulch, and decorative gravel intended for residential installation require the contractor to pay sales tax to the vendor but do not require sales tax on labor or material to be collected from the customer. Commercial work has different requirements.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I am glad you replied. I was going to send him to you but I could not remember your ID. I am glad I don't do business in Kansas yet, what a pain to incorporate sales tax.
Hey, KS_Grasscutter, how are those GS working out?
I'm not sure what you mean by GS? If you mean Grandstand, I went with a RH Wright because it was a lot cheaper. And I'm not sure how its working out because I have yet to use it haha. Were just barely getting started on cleanups.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2014, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Grasscutter View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by GS? If you mean Grandstand, I went with a RH Wright because it was a lot cheaper. And I'm not sure how its working out because I have yet to use it haha. Were just barely getting started on cleanups.
Posted via Mobile Device
I thought you were going all Grandstands because of the cut quality, anyway no biggie, just thought I would ask.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Member

New to the Site, and to the Business. This will be my first year running, located in Grain Valley. I will only be part time, with hopes in being full time some day. Nice to meet everyone!