Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2014, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraytek View Post
Guess I need to clarify my wind comment. I don't spray in 20mph wind. I can, however, comfortably spray in a 7mph wind with the hose and shower nozzle w/o worrying about drift. I guess what I'm asking is at what point does wind/drift become an issue for low volume with AI nozzles?
As far as label instructions for volume, I hear you. The thing is, I don't think all of the manufacturers are up to speed on label instructions for all products when it comes to low volume. JMO and I've been wrong before. Before anyone starts bashing me, I know, I know. THE LABEL IS THE LAW!!! However, if I can get some questions answered quickly on LS from operator experiences, then I can save myself some time.
It's the same principle as what you'd expect from hand spraying. Smaller nozzle/droplet size, bigger pressure equals more drift or easier drift and atomization.

Yeah....with 1/3rd gallon tips at 40 PSI and 20" off the ground at 5 mph you can get drift pretty easy with wind. Less so with 1 gallon tips especially since you won't be able to maintain big pressure with a small pump on a ride on and the droplet size on a 1 gallon tip doesn't atomize as much as a smaller tip.

You already know all this I assume.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spraytek View Post
I hear you on the unmowed grass, but that's not really an option since I don't have control of the mowing.

What brand of ride-on do you run?
I do a T3000
No control of mowing here. Don't have any problems on lawns but 15 acre field that bends and rolls you can lose track of your tracks. You can always see the tracks going the same way your going but the ones you came back on are hard to see
Old 03-09-2014, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Remember in agricultural spraying, the helicopter often sprays at 5 to 10 gallons per acre at 10 feet altitude.
If your nozzles are 8 inches off the turf, the risk is low. And besides, drift of a fungicide is not near as problematical as herbicide drift. It won't hurt the flowers.

The problem is that the tank runs dry too quickly at high volumes of carrier. Too many trips back to the truck for more water and to mix a new batch of fungicide.

True, its hard to be accurate on the swath overlap following your tracks. You can always mark it in advance at 10 foot intervals. Use a measuring wheel with marker flags or tiny spots of shaving cream.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
I do a T3000
No control of mowing here. Don't have any problems on lawns but 15 acre field that bends and rolls you can lose track of your tracks. You can always see the tracks going the same way your going but the ones you came back on are hard to see
That's kinda what I was thinking. I know Z has a foam marker upgrade, but it doesn't seem like they last too long according to some posts on here. Probably not using a 100% duty cycle compressor if its not working...that's really the only thing there is to a good foam marker.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Remember in agricultural spraying, the helicopter often sprays at 5 to 10 gallons per acre at 10 feet altitude.
If your nozzles are 8 inches off the turf, the risk is low. And besides, drift of a fungicide is not near as problematical as herbicide drift. It won't hurt the flowers.

The problem is that the tank runs dry too quickly at high volumes of carrier. Too many trips back to the truck for more water and to mix a new batch of fungicide.

True, its hard to be accurate on the swath overlap following your tracks. You can always mark it in advance at 10 foot intervals. Use a measuring wheel with marker flags or tiny spots of shaving cream.
I think if I had to go around flagging every property before I sprayed, I would probably do just as good with the hose (with the exception of large properties).

As for the tank running dry too quickly, that is one of my concerns. That's why I'm leaning towards a Z...bigger capacity = less fill time...even at 1gal/1000.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Member

I took delivery of a 36" jr two weeks ago. I ordered it with the 7 gallon min pump and had the white one gallon tips installed. It seriously puts out some material.
Right now i am using it for our granular round and just spot spraying a few broadleaves and sedges, but for the next round, i will be broadcast spraying exclusively with the machine.

I teed off the hose going to the hose reel on the spray truck to use as a quick fill and i can fill the 18 gallon tank in 2 minutes flat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2014, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I took delivery of a 36" jr two weeks ago. I ordered it with the 7 gallon min pump and had the white one gallon tips installed. It seriously puts out some material.
Right now i am using it for our granular round and just spot spraying a few broadleaves and sedges, but for the next round, i will be broadcast spraying exclusively with the machine.

I teed off the hose going to the hose reel on the spray truck to use as a quick fill and i can fill the 18 gallon tank in 2 minutes flat.
Posted via Mobile Device