Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
Now do some of you guys (not you patriot) understand why some of us choose not to put our company names on this site?
Exactly. Trust and believe my company name is not grass monkey

I'm sticking to the theory they really did start the business the way they did. I really think they advertised a lot, had a lot of customers, around 2,000, then grew too much. I think they grew so much they couldn't control it. No supervision, no management, etc brought them down. Think about it, they either need to know Spanish or know someone that can, hiring all H2B workers must be hard because of a culture difference. I think the quality started to suffer (17 yelp reviews from one location, most weren't too good). Then they came up with a way to subcontract to get away from the downturn in employment problems they had.

But, it's all speculation. Their story was fascinating to me, as it was to a lot of others. Curious if we'll ever hear from him again.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I actually found threads about them on many sites. They all seemed to go cold in 2006 right about the time the housing bubble went boom.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2014, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why are they so defiant?
Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think if you call Just Mow it - Austin, I think they will be open tomorrow. Matter of a fact, I KNOW someone will answer. Now if you choose to order a service, you won't be getting Just Mow It employees to your house any more. I know what's going on.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I think if you call Just Mow it - Austin, I think they will be open tomorrow. Matter of a fact, I KNOW someone will answer. Now if you choose to order a service, you won't be getting Just Mow It employees to your house any more. I know what's going on.
Of course you do. So is it going to be a green ranger with possibly a grasshopper, walker, gravely or bradley mower hanging off the back and TN plates?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2014, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bwahahahahahahahahaha!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
Exactly. Trust and believe my company name is not grass monkey

I'm sticking to the theory they really did start the business the way they did. I really think they advertised a lot, had a lot of customers, around 2,000, then grew too much. I think they grew so much they couldn't control it. No supervision, no management, etc brought them down. Think about it, they either need to know Spanish or know someone that can, hiring all H2B workers must be hard because of a culture difference. I think the quality started to suffer (17 yelp reviews from one location, most weren't too good). Then they came up with a way to subcontract to get away from the downturn in employment problems they had.

But, it's all speculation. Their story was fascinating to me, as it was to a lot of others. Curious if we'll ever hear from him again.
Tons of big companies use h2b workers.

It's not that bad of a thing really.

Seasonal work.
White guys all want year round work (understandably) and so aren't too keen working for 5 or 6 months and getting laid off.

The H2b guys HAVE to go away come october. and then WANT to come back in april or may.
So if you can make the red tape work, the situation works.

Cultural differences really don't matter much…. you really don't even need to speak much spanish nor do they need to speak much english.
I speak spanish, used to try to talk to the h2b guys all the time, honestly there isn't very much to say, and they don't have much on their minds.
they work for their 6 months make 12 grand, and go home 'rich' because to them it's a 120grand.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Tons of big companies use h2b workers.

It's not that bad of a thing really.

Seasonal work.
White guys all want year round work (understandably) and so aren't too keen working for 5 or 6 months and getting laid off.

The H2b guys HAVE to go away come october. and then WANT to come back in april or may.
So if you can make the red tape work, the situation works.

Cultural differences really don't matter much…. you really don't even need to speak much spanish nor do they need to speak much english.
I speak spanish, used to try to talk to the h2b guys all the time, honestly there isn't very much to say, and they don't have much on their minds.
they work for their 6 months make 12 grand, and go home 'rich' because to them it's a 120grand.
I agree, it's a great tool if used right. But running on slim margins, and going for quantity not quality while using H2B is what I think had to do with the sinking ship. Leaving the 2 owners up to managing the H2B crews, marketing, equipment, the books, etc because the numbers were to slim to hire a GM or operations guy. So lets say they added more trucks, more workers, more equipment and hire a GM, (which we know they eventually had a GM). I think this theory was part of the problem.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
I agree, it's a great tool if used right. But running on slim margins, and going for quantity not quality while using H2B is what I think had to do with the sinking ship. Leaving the 2 owners up to managing the H2B crews, marketing, equipment, the books, etc because the numbers were to slim to hire a GM or operations guy. So lets say they added more trucks, more workers, more equipment and hire a GM, (which we know they eventually had a GM). I think this theory was part of the problem.
ok i get what you're saying…infrastructure failed because there wasn't any overhead for it.
That would have happened if they had h2b or an endless amount of revolving white kids, either way.
H2b can get a little pricey in the labor department.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
ok i get what you're saying…infrastructure failed because there wasn't any overhead for it.
That would have happened if they had h2b or an endless amount of revolving white kids, either way.
H2b can get a little pricey in the labor department.
Exactly. My wording was a bit confusing.
Closed Thread