Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 03-09-2014, 02:41 PM
grassmonkey0311's Avatar
grassmonkey0311 grassmonkey0311 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MD/NC
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYScapes View Post
Now do some of you guys (not you patriot) understand why some of us choose not to put our company names on this site?
Exactly. Trust and believe my company name is not grass monkey

I'm sticking to the theory they really did start the business the way they did. I really think they advertised a lot, had a lot of customers, around 2,000, then grew too much. I think they grew so much they couldn't control it. No supervision, no management, etc brought them down. Think about it, they either need to know Spanish or know someone that can, hiring all H2B workers must be hard because of a culture difference. I think the quality started to suffer (17 yelp reviews from one location, most weren't too good). Then they came up with a way to subcontract to get away from the downturn in employment problems they had.


But, it's all speculation. Their story was fascinating to me, as it was to a lot of others. Curious if we'll ever hear from him again.
  #242  
Old 03-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,321
I actually found threads about them on many sites. They all seemed to go cold in 2006 right about the time the housing bubble went boom.
Posted via Mobile Device
  #243  
Old 03-09-2014, 07:44 PM
Armsden&Son Armsden&Son is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: adirondacks, NY
Posts: 1,789
Why are they so defiant?
  #244  
Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 PM
PicturePerfectLawns PicturePerfectLawns is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lone Star State
Posts: 1,025
I think if you call Just Mow it - Austin, I think they will be open tomorrow. Matter of a fact, I KNOW someone will answer. Now if you choose to order a service, you won't be getting Just Mow It employees to your house any more. I know what's going on.
  #245  
Old 03-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
I think if you call Just Mow it - Austin, I think they will be open tomorrow. Matter of a fact, I KNOW someone will answer. Now if you choose to order a service, you won't be getting Just Mow It employees to your house any more. I know what's going on.
Of course you do. So is it going to be a green ranger with possibly a grasshopper, walker, gravely or bradley mower hanging off the back and TN plates?
Posted via Mobile Device
  #246  
Old 03-10-2014, 12:21 AM
Armsden&Son Armsden&Son is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: adirondacks, NY
Posts: 1,789
Bwahahahahahahahahaha!
  #247  
Old 03-10-2014, 03:08 AM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
Exactly. Trust and believe my company name is not grass monkey

I'm sticking to the theory they really did start the business the way they did. I really think they advertised a lot, had a lot of customers, around 2,000, then grew too much. I think they grew so much they couldn't control it. No supervision, no management, etc brought them down. Think about it, they either need to know Spanish or know someone that can, hiring all H2B workers must be hard because of a culture difference. I think the quality started to suffer (17 yelp reviews from one location, most weren't too good). Then they came up with a way to subcontract to get away from the downturn in employment problems they had.


But, it's all speculation. Their story was fascinating to me, as it was to a lot of others. Curious if we'll ever hear from him again.
Tons of big companies use h2b workers.

It's not that bad of a thing really.

Seasonal work.
White guys all want year round work (understandably) and so aren't too keen working for 5 or 6 months and getting laid off.

The H2b guys HAVE to go away come october. and then WANT to come back in april or may.
So if you can make the red tape work, the situation works.

Cultural differences really don't matter much…. you really don't even need to speak much spanish nor do they need to speak much english.
I speak spanish, used to try to talk to the h2b guys all the time, honestly there isn't very much to say, and they don't have much on their minds.
they work for their 6 months make 12 grand, and go home 'rich' because to them it's a 120grand.
  #248  
Old 03-10-2014, 06:52 AM
grassmonkey0311's Avatar
grassmonkey0311 grassmonkey0311 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MD/NC
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
Tons of big companies use h2b workers.

It's not that bad of a thing really.

Seasonal work.
White guys all want year round work (understandably) and so aren't too keen working for 5 or 6 months and getting laid off.

The H2b guys HAVE to go away come october. and then WANT to come back in april or may.
So if you can make the red tape work, the situation works.

Cultural differences really don't matter much…. you really don't even need to speak much spanish nor do they need to speak much english.
I speak spanish, used to try to talk to the h2b guys all the time, honestly there isn't very much to say, and they don't have much on their minds.
they work for their 6 months make 12 grand, and go home 'rich' because to them it's a 120grand.
I agree, it's a great tool if used right. But running on slim margins, and going for quantity not quality while using H2B is what I think had to do with the sinking ship. Leaving the 2 owners up to managing the H2B crews, marketing, equipment, the books, etc because the numbers were to slim to hire a GM or operations guy. So lets say they added more trucks, more workers, more equipment and hire a GM, (which we know they eventually had a GM). I think this theory was part of the problem.
  #249  
Old 03-10-2014, 11:16 AM
TPendagast's Avatar
TPendagast TPendagast is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 3,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
I agree, it's a great tool if used right. But running on slim margins, and going for quantity not quality while using H2B is what I think had to do with the sinking ship. Leaving the 2 owners up to managing the H2B crews, marketing, equipment, the books, etc because the numbers were to slim to hire a GM or operations guy. So lets say they added more trucks, more workers, more equipment and hire a GM, (which we know they eventually had a GM). I think this theory was part of the problem.
ok i get what you're saying…infrastructure failed because there wasn't any overhead for it.
That would have happened if they had h2b or an endless amount of revolving white kids, either way.
H2b can get a little pricey in the labor department.
  #250  
Old 03-10-2014, 11:33 AM
grassmonkey0311's Avatar
grassmonkey0311 grassmonkey0311 is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MD/NC
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
ok i get what you're saying…infrastructure failed because there wasn't any overhead for it.
That would have happened if they had h2b or an endless amount of revolving white kids, either way.
H2b can get a little pricey in the labor department.
Exactly. My wording was a bit confusing.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 PM.

Page generated in 0.08215 seconds with 10 queries