Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2014, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Member

How to convince a customer to go with you on a lawn cut

I have had a customer who uses me for all of there landscaping needs such as cleanups, mulch, planting and snow removal, but has another guy cut the grass. They claim that they have had this guy for 10 to 15 years. This guy has a bad reputation in town for doing lousy work. I have taken over a few of these guys customers in the past couple of years. I asked them if they would be interested in me cutting the lawn. I told them I could go 5$ cheaper than this guy because I do a lot of volume in his neighborhood . Well they said that they feel funny getting rid of him since they had him for years. What other techniques can I use to convince them to go with me for the lawn . ?
Old 03-09-2014, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

There's already a thread going on similar to this. Check it out.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I lived in your part of the country I know what I would do...
Old 03-09-2014, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You don't even need to undercut the price. Tell the homeowner what you would charge for mowing the lawn, then outline the areas you would improve upon.

You do not need to put the other company down, but if there are that many complaints about the guy, just talking your company up would negate the negatives his company does.

the "I would feel bad for going with you when I have used him for a few years." is a nice way of saying "If he is charging me $5 more than you and he does crap I would rather stay with him."

No offense, you could do great work...I did not mean that...........perception is reality, and although you do better work than him, if you offer a $5 cheaper rate, the client's perception is you will be $5 a week worse than that guy, whether you are or not.

Lowering price only hurts you and every other lawn company out there.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandlawn View Post
I have had a customer who uses me for all of there landscaping needs such as cleanups, mulch, planting and snow removal, but has another guy cut the grass. They claim that they have had this guy for 10 to 15 years. This guy has a bad reputation in town for doing lousy work. I have taken over a few of these guys customers in the past couple of years. I asked them if they would be interested in me cutting the lawn. I told them I could go 5$ cheaper than this guy because I do a lot of volume in his neighborhood . Well they said that they feel funny getting rid of him since they had him for years. What other techniques can I use to convince them to go with me for the lawn . ?
I don't know first you act like the customer is lying to you "they claim" trust me they is telling you the truth. Now you want to lowball the guy! Man just leave it alone and move on if he is as bad as you say they will figure it out.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I totally agree with saber on this one. Just because you are cheaper does not mean that you are the better choice. Its like buying new equipment, you get what you pay for. If you pay less, you will most likely not get the same quality as that more expensive stuff.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't undercut this guys price. If they want to stick with him and his lousy work, it's their loss. They're giving you all the big jobs, all he's doing is cutting the grass. Get all their neighbors houses and show them how good of a job you do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2014, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

IVe had people rant about how great their work looked on a particular property before totally missing that I had it for two years in a row of draught, they get the property and simply mow it and take credit for it looking "so green".

People will think what they want to think.

What do you do? Make tall grass into short grass.

What does he do?

Strangle the grass into submission?

Maybe he just gives the customer what they are willing to pay for? There is a few clumps of grass on the lawn? the stripes aren't super crisp? Maybe he didn't double cut them because they are cheap and they don't care?

There are all these guys that are so proud of their superior work out there, when half the time, all they are doing is, going through extra effort and trouble for free.

Then people in the neighborhood see that and think "I want extra effort and trouble from my guy for free and I don't get that! I'm getting ripped off! My guy sucks"

See…. you don't know the situation, or what price was negotiated for what level of service to begin with.

Now you are the new guy wandering the neighborhood telling everyone how his work is **** and yours is so much better, when he has spent a decade in that neighborhood and knows what level of service all those people can afford.

Perception is reality.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps they simply like the guy?
Old 03-10-2014, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody posting on this thread with any common sense better look at the region... Its not the country side.... For those of you that don't believe about tragic accidents i would steer far and clear of this...with all respect let me go back to my little town..