Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2014, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

What am I doing wrong

I went and assessed a property last week. Mada a very nice proposal, And presented it to her. She had two apartments that probably had an acre of grass with the two, one if them was fenced so I'd have to get into it with a 21 push. She also wanted me to prune bushes as needed at one apartment, and do leaves in the fall. I quoted her 230 a month/12months for both properties. That included mowing 10/days, hedge Trimming, and leaves in the fall. I don't feel like I was high on the bid at all. Was not getting this account a blessing or a curse?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2014, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Some things are just not meant to be.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess people just expect me to do it for nothing because I'm young. They see me as a kid, and not as a business owner I presume.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2014, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It might simply be that she got a lower bid...

Or, she could have gotten a bid from a friend of a friend's relative that is in the biz...

Or, maybe she thought it was too cheap and you would end up doing shoddy work...

The point is, there could be a hundred and one reasons why you didn't get the job...

But don't let it bother you... move on to the next one
Old 03-10-2014, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If you are a "kid" why do you not just work for someone else?

you can make decent money working your way up in the ranks until you are ready to go out on your own.

Who taught you how to bid? who taught you how to mow/trim etc?
How many years of experience do you have?

I see more and more 'kids' going out alone, fresh and getting bewildered why men with years of experience are doing so much better, and why it's not 'easy'

Would you let a 'kid' work on your house, or your diesel engine? or set the hair trigger on your best IDPA pistol?

It's simple…. the business isn't as easy as one assumes it is.
It's actually kind of insulting when someone says it's easy and anyone can do it.
People throw themselves at this industry year after year because for some reason, it looks like easy money.

Get experienced, get trained. THEN do it.

every once in a while there is opportunity for the paper boy to grow his lawn mowing business into an actual enterprise, but how long does it take the 12 year old boy to make it? usually ten years or so.
After he's done it through high school, college and having been supported by his parents the whole time.
by then hes kicking a pretty established business.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Keep rocking it.
Honda 21 HR 215
Honda 21 HRC 216 (2)
Stihl Kombi 90 w/ Attatchments
Stihl Kombi 110
Shindaiwa 22T Trimmer (3)
Echo 225 Edger
Stihl BR600 Blower
Red Max 2600 Blower
Stihl HS 46CE Hedge Trimmer
Honda Pressure Washer
Honda FG110 Tiller
Echo Chainsaw
Earthway 2150 Spreader
etc.......
Old 03-10-2014, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
If you are a "kid" why do you not just work for someone else?

you can make decent money working your way up in the ranks until you are ready to go out on your own.

Who taught you how to bid? who taught you how to mow/trim etc?
How many years of experience do you have?

I see more and more 'kids' going out alone, fresh and getting bewildered why men with years of experience are doing so much better, and why it's not 'easy'

Would you let a 'kid' work on your house, or your diesel engine? or set the hair trigger on your best IDPA pistol?

It's simple…. the business isn't as easy as one assumes it is.
It's actually kind of insulting when someone says it's easy and anyone can do it.
People throw themselves at this industry year after year because for some reason, it looks like easy money.

Get experienced, get trained. THEN do it.

every once in a while there is opportunity for the paper boy to grow his lawn mowing business into an actual enterprise, but how long does it take the 12 year old boy to make it? usually ten years or so.
After he's done it through high school, college and having been supported by his parents the whole time.
by then hes kicking a pretty established business.
Agree with this. I had experience working for another company when I first started, and by then I was not at all a kid anymore. I still got out there the first summer and really simply didn't have a clue. Didn't know how to bid, didn't know how to do a bunch of the work. I learned a lot, but would have been much better suited with even more experience working with an actual company before making the leap.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

To the original poster. I'm sure you are not going to just give up and go work for someone else, even if that might be the best thing right now. Set goals for yourself each year and come up with a business plan. Try to stick to it and learn from your mistakes. Most importantly, become numbers guy. Learn what it costs you to operate. Bid your jobs based on that.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
1995 36" Scag Walk Behind
Old 03-10-2014, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with both sides of the advice. Working for someone is great, but you may not learn everything. I was never taught how to bid, but was taught everything else. So it all depends who you work for.

For the bid itself, don't get down about it. If your landing every bid, then you have a real problem on your hands. Try to see what you did wrong, or what you could do better. Go over your numbers again and figure out if you made a mistake. Keep plugging away at it.

I did a bid the other day for a brand new million dollar home. The owner and wife haven't even moved in yet, thats how new it is. In his email, he stated he only wanted biweekly service because in his mind it would be cheaper. I included 2 quotes. 1 for biweekly and the other for full maintenance. The full maint quote was to "remind" him there are other things to be done than just mowing the grass. He said my quotes were a lot of money. Spending $300 a month for full maintenance is a lot? Heck he just spend $1,000,000 on a home!

The moral is, people are people. Good luck trying to figure them out! Keep plugging a long and keep handing out bids to get more comfortable.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey guys, thanks a lot for all the input. There is no way I'm selling out to be the help for a another guy. Sorry, but that is not an option. I am learning daily to grow my knowledge. Thanks for all the help so far.
Posted via Mobile Device