The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Open or Enclosed
Enclosed 49 64.47%
Open 27 35.53%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-03-2014, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Enclosed. 8.5x18 for me. Its big and heavy, but like they said its a traveling billboard. Just watch out for the limbs.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Enclosed all the way! Everything is element protected! my lawn seed stays dry, fertilizer doesn't clump, Everything is secured! When I go to sleep at night, the analysis: is if the trailer is locked, everything should be fine in the morning! I have a place to have a whiz if required! While I service some high end neighborhoods, there are no place to grab a lunch............thus I must travel! The restaurants I prefer are not near these
affluent zones. I like to sit down and relax when eating, thus prefer sitting at a restaurant over a waste of time drive thru which serves only fast food crap! So having an enclosed trailer protects all my equipment from gathering legs and traveling! Then in the winter months, I have a place to store my equipment safe and secure out of the elements! If your only mower disappeared at lunch (stolen)! How much time and how much money would it take to replace it! Remember if your equipment isn't there to use, your not making money. No theft = no headache!
Old 03-10-2014, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttled View Post
Enclosed all the way! Everything is element protected! my lawn seed stays dry, fertilizer doesn't clump, Everything is secured! When I go to sleep at night, the analysis: is if the trailer is locked, everything should be fine in the morning! I have a place to have a whiz if required! While I service some high end neighborhoods, there are no place to grab a lunch............thus I must travel! The restaurants I prefer are not near these
affluent zones. I like to sit down and relax when eating, thus prefer sitting at a restaurant over a waste of time drive thru which serves only fast food crap! So having an enclosed trailer protects all my equipment from gathering legs and traveling! Then in the winter months, I have a place to store my equipment safe and secure out of the elements! If your only mower disappeared at lunch (stolen)! How much time and how much money would it take to replace it! Remember if your equipment isn't there to use, your not making money. No theft = no headache!

Amen to that. Also in the offseason all the shovels and random work stuff in your garage packed in the trailer. People are acting like walking 2 seconds up a ramp to grab a trimmer or gas tank is going to be less efficient, what is less efficient is getting off work and having to unload everything into storage during your time off
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2014, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had an enclosed first two seasons. It was one my girlfriend had sitting in the yard being used as a play area for the kids. So I was thrilled to be able to have a free trailer to start my business with. That thrill went away in a hurry!

It was way too big for me think it was 18 feet long or something like that. It killed me on gas. With the weight of it and the fact it stuck out way in the air behind my truck it was just sucking it down. I couldn't see anything that was going on behind me. Hated trying to park it, and worse was trying to back it up anywhere, because I had no clue what was going on behind me. As someone else mentioned I had to go on to the trailer to get things off. It got very hot in the trailer, and the fumes got bad in there sometimes too.

After two years of dealing with that I made the best business decision I've made yet to sell it and get an open trailer.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Although I do miss it for storage purposes.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that enclosed trailers give a cleaner look. They also give you way more space to advertise.

I run a 7x14 and my 2013 F150 doesn't feel like it is pulling anything. The only time I can tell is when there is a bump in the road.

Serving Oviedo, Orlando, and Sanford
844-464-7767
www.GoMultiPros.com
Multi-Pros Home Service is Veteran Owned and Operated
Old 03-10-2014, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good thread here gentleman. Security and advertising is a huge plus to running an enclosed. True, open trailers seem to be a little faster strapping equipment down...but at the end of the day it's my opinion enclosed look more professional.

We do have both...
Old 03-10-2014, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy123 View Post
Good thread here gentleman. Security and advertising is a huge plus to running an enclosed. True, open trailers seem to be a little faster strapping equipment down...but at the end of the day it's my opinion enclosed look more professional.

We do have both...
I do have to agree with the security, at least from a snatch and grab standpoint. Although, if someone wants to steal something bad enough, they'll find a way to do it. However, enclosed with locks is a good deterrent.

Serving Oviedo, Orlando, and Sanford
844-464-7767
www.GoMultiPros.com
Multi-Pros Home Service is Veteran Owned and Operated
Old 03-17-2014, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would go enclosed if it is not your only trailer, and open if it's your only trailer. Reason being, with an open trailer you can haul material (e.g. Mulch, Dirt, Rocks/Gravel, Flowers/Trees and more). With an enclosed you can't do that. Advertising is also possible to be done on an open trailer by using a sign that covers the whole gate of the trailer. Sure with an open you don't have storage or protection from the elements. But it's a give and take type of situation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2014, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I've run both...currently open. Only thing I miss about the enclosed is a place to whiz like Tuttled said!!! Enclosed just wasn't as sturdy and strong as the open. Fenders fell off countless times, small cracks in roof from flexing, and upright next to door busted off at the bottom from a mower sliding into it. Security has never been an issue at my shop and now I only unload if its going to rain. Oh and I guess I miss having my 2nd garage open in the winter...but then again I couldn't haul pallets of salt with the enclosed. OPEN WINS FOR ME.
Posted via Mobile Device