Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2014, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Member

Staining dump truck side boards

I'm looking at staining the side boards of my dump truck today. I was thinking of doing a medium brown color but I'm not sure how they'll look. Does anyone have any pics they can post up of theirs?... Also I'm not a fan of painting them which is why I'm thinking about going the staining route. I'll try and get a pic up of what they currently look like but any pics you guys might have would really help. Thanks
Old 03-10-2014, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't have pics of the side boards on my dump trailer (I also have side boards on my mowing trailer, and had them on my last truck). All were stained with black deck stain. I can't remember exactly what I used but I got something heavy duty so I could avoid spending another $50 for clear coat to put over it.

I'd recommend going lighter than you think you'll want it. I know what you mean about liking the wood look. I was going to do that for mine but figured it wouldn't stay nice looking for very long so I went black. Also I plan on stenciling "Lawn and Landscape" or "Mulch - Topsoil - Stone" and my phone number on the side boards of the dump trailer for advertising. Was also thinking of putting "You Can't Beat Our Wood!" and my phone number for the firewood side of my business but can't decide if that would be unprofessional/anyone would be offended lol.

I think a medium brown might come out darker than you think though. I'd keep it super light (or just a clear coat to protect the wood) or black stain. That's just my preference though. Be sure to post pics if you can!
Old 03-16-2014, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I got the sides all done and figured I would post the picture in case anyone searches for something similar to this.

In my opinion they came out great. I used two coats of minwax polyshades and let it dry 6hrs betweens coats. What do you guys think?

Old 03-16-2014, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks good to me.

I added plywood sides to my 5x8 trailer and used leftover deck sealer on it. Turned out nice.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would have gone with a grey stain...especially with a black truck
Old 03-17-2014, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Looks great! I like the way it looks with the black Chevy. Also dig your company name and logo. Very nice!

Tags
dump bed , dump truck , side boards , stain