Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-11-2014, 01:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quit a cush sales gig to start my own landscape company...parents hate me now.

Hey Guys,

I have been in the landscape industry since right out of high school. Went to school for a computer degree while working under a landscape architect. After school I got the computer "dream job" and wanted to blow my brains out after a year. Back to landscape I go!

I have worked for two of the three large national commercial landscape companies in my area and one local development/maintenance firm over the passed 8 years, primarily in sales with some design. There was some internal restructuring at my current job that I just can't get behind so I decided to make my childhood dream of being a business owner come true.

I am planning on starting with me, myself and I until revenue justifies hiring another employee and growing from there. The really awesome thing is that while I was picking up my Exmark 30 the thought occurred to me that I don't even know how to start a mower. With the vendors help, I now do.

Anyway I love this industry and am looking forward to my new adventure. I have a huge amount of respect for what it takes to operate any business let alone one that is so dependent on labor and equipment. I have been lurking here for the passed 6 months or so and look forward to being apart of this community.

If I can somehow help anyone in any capacity I would be glad to do so.

-Chris
Old 03-11-2014, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBrothersLandscape View Post
Hey Guys,

I have been in the landscape industry since right out of high school. Went to school for a computer degree while working under a landscape architect. After school I got the computer "dream job" and wanted to blow my brains out after a year. Back to landscape I go!

I have worked for two of the three large national commercial landscape companies in my area and one local development/maintenance firm over the passed 8 years, primarily in sales with some design. There was some internal restructuring at my current job that I just can't get behind so I decided to make my childhood dream of being a business owner come true.

I am planning on starting with me, myself and I until revenue justifies hiring another employee and growing from there. The really awesome thing is that while I was picking up my Exmark 30 the thought occurred to me that I don't even know how to start a mower. With the vendors help, I now do.

Anyway I love this industry and am looking forward to my new adventure. I have a huge amount of respect for what it takes to operate any business let alone one that is so dependent on labor and equipment. I have been lurking here for the passed 6 months or so and look forward to being apart of this community.

If I can somehow help anyone in any capacity I would be glad to do so.

-Chris
If you don't already have one, get a contractor's license, insurance, PCO license and some real knowledge about landscape. You won't even be able to do any commercial work without a license and insurance. Try to differentiate yourself from the 10,000 "gardeners" who are running around So Cal in their little Toyota pickups mowing lawns for $60 a month! Southern California is a tough market. Probably one of the toughest in the nation. Every jackass with a mower and a truck can call themselves a landscaper!

Last edited by SoCalLandscapeMgmt; 03-11-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
If you don't already have one, get a contractor's license, insurance, PCO license and some real knowledge about landscape. You won't even be able to do any commercial work without a license and insurance. Try to differentiate yourself from the 10,000 "gardeners" who are running around So Cal in their little Toyota pickups mowing lawns for $60 a month! Southern California is a tough market. Probably one of the toughest in the nation. Every jackass with a mower and a truck can call themselves a landscaper!
Thanks for the suggestions. I did leave out some info in my original post. I am C-27 licensed, bonded and have 2,000,000 liability. The PCO license I googled and am still confused on that one. All the stuff came up as Public Carriage Office in the UK.

You are right about the real knowledge of landscape. You completely turned me around! I am going to sell the equipment I just purchased, give the truck to my brother and turn the trailer into a man cave for the wife gets mad.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Oh ya and the part I left out that I know is going to make my a success; I plan on undercutting EVERYONE!!! My price is only $59 a month!!!
Old 03-11-2014, 01:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I think he meant pesticide license in order to apply fertilizers w/ weed control etc.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsyardcare View Post
I think he meant pesticide license in order to apply fertilizers w/ weed control etc.
Gotcha! That makes sense. I was planning on contracting out anything requiring a QAL (same thing?).
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2014, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 03-11-2014, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wasn't trying to be a d!ck. My comments were based upon the handful of companies that I see start up every couple of years here and then promptly fail because the owners had no knowledge or plan as to what it was that they were doing. I meant no disrespect and I apologize if you took my post wrong. I've been doing this my entire life and it's been a tough climb to get where I am so sometimes I can be a little jaded. I could tell you stories that would make you sell your equipment and turn that trailer into a man cave
Old 03-11-2014, 01:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
I wasn't trying to be a d!ck. My comments were based upon the handful of companies that I see start up every couple of years here and then promptly fail because the owners had no knowledge or plan as to what it was that they were doing. I meant no disrespect and I apologize if you took my post wrong. I've been doing this my entire life and it's been a tough climb to get where I am so sometimes I can be a little jaded. I could tell you stories that would make you sell your equipment and turn that trailer into a man cave
Thanks for the reply! I did take it the wrong way which is probably my fault. I am extremely nervous and frankly scared about this endeavor.

I assure you, although I don't have a ton of field experience my blood sweat and tears have been poured into this industry and I am hoping I can offset my many deficiencies with the many resources available and friends I have made over the years.
Posted via Mobile Device