Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-06-2014, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35DollarLawns View Post
I tell you guys what , find
Me 1, just 1 besides mine at a dealer near here I would be shocked to hexx , no one , not one contractor new or used have them, it is why I tried them.
Here they are no good.when compaired to loc in the area.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well, I guess I'll weigh in on this stander conversation. I run wb's and ZTR's. Actually just bought a 72" Cheetah. I have lots ranging from 1/5 acre to 15 acres. Obviously, for 5 acres and up, I'm running ZTR'S. But for the smaller subdivision residentials, like 1/2 acre lots, I'm considering picking up a stander because I can see where it would have a place there. They have great speed for the size, highly maneuverable, plus it's very compact and easier to train an employee to run than a wb with a sulky. I really like the Gravely Pro Stance and I believe it could be an upgrade over a wb with a sulky.

But...

I have to agree with the comment made by 35dollars. I have dealers all around my area and there isn't one that I know of that has a stander on his lot. WTF? There are three Scag dealers within 45 mins from me and NONE have a stander out for sale - Tigers, Cheetahs, wb's... but no V-Rides?? Same with the Exmark dealers - there's four of them nearby - and no standers. In fact, the only time I've ever seen a stander at a dealer was a Toro Grandstand. One. One Grandstand. And I'm not kidding, that thing sat on that lot for two years.

Now, I am in Northern Virginia and there are horse farms and estates everywhere so maybe it's just a ZTR kind of area. And maybe the McMansion subdivisions around here call for wb's over standers. Maybe in my area, there's just more demand for them and no so much for standers.

I still want to try one though. Because... I believe it may have it's place and it may make sense for me... in certain scenarios.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

For 1/4 acre to 3/4 acre a stander is the most efficient hands down. Its not a fad. If all my properties were in this range I would only run standers. We mow 1/4 acre to 5+ acre properties. My ultimate setup would be a 48" WB, 52" stander, and a 60" ZTR on each trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2014, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
Well, I guess I'll weigh in on this stander conversation. I run wb's and ZTR's. Actually just bought a 72" Cheetah. I have lots ranging from 1/5 acre to 15 acres. Obviously, for 5 acres and up, I'm running ZTR'S. But for the smaller subdivision residentials, like 1/2 acre lots, I'm considering picking up a stander because I can see where it would have a place there. They have great speed for the size, highly maneuverable, plus it's very compact and easier to train an employee to run than a wb with a sulky. I really like the Gravely Pro Stance and I believe it could be an upgrade over a wb with a sulky.

But...

I have to agree with the comment made by 35dollars. I have dealers all around my area and there isn't one that I know of that has a stander on his lot. WTF? There are three Scag dealers within 45 mins from me and NONE have a stander out for sale - Tigers, Cheetahs, wb's... but no V-Rides?? Same with the Exmark dealers - there's four of them nearby - and no standers. In fact, the only time I've ever seen a stander at a dealer was a Toro Grandstand. One. One Grandstand. And I'm not kidding, that thing sat on that lot for two years.

Now, I am in Northern Virginia and there are horse farms and estates everywhere so maybe it's just a ZTR kind of area. And maybe the McMansion subdivisions around here call for wb's over standers. Maybe in my area, there's just more demand for them and no so much for standers.

I still want to try one though. Because... I believe it may have it's place and it may make sense for me... in certain scenarios.
Down in Hampton roads every dealer has standers on the lots.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2014, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Member

I have used them all, I am about to buy a state of the art stander for small yards. Except for price, I say nothing better about any walk behind against a stander GENERALLY. Of course there are always exceptions. Most current standers have the option to walk so if you really want to walk, you can. A sulky behind a walker can be cumbersome, get in a long narrow spot between the house and fence and try to back up a long ways without hanging up the sulky to do it! I weigh a lot, if it is a 1 wheel sulky and it is a little soft? Forget it without leaving a long wheel rut. Walkers stick out a long ways, when you make corrections or turn, the handles have a severe opposite action so watch out for your hands getting pinched. (talking about pistol grips here, I know there are other setups). Now you see standers promoted to be wonderful around trees? Forget it, no benefit around low hanging anything, you are standing up! You will make a little sacrifice around some trees but you need to trim there anyway. My first stander was one of the first on the market, a 48" with out electric start and spacer style deck height adjust. Today they are putting rapid height and electric on them all over the place. I see standers making a big presence here in Shreveport now, almost exclusively Exmarks. Gravely not so much yet. Those are the dealers we have. I am about to get a Wright because of side by side spec comparison. Only I am a bit uneasy not having a local dealer for it if I need help but again, it is not going to be my most critical machine.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

they all made fun of us with the first super surfers

'you will fall off of it'

'it's dangerous'

'it's stupid'

'why would you even want that'

it's like magic and fire…. everything is satanic witchcraft and should be feared until the first guy has a BBQ with smoking hot brats, and then everyone joins in

'best thing since sliced bread'

'only real guys do it like this'

yada yada yada.

personally, having been a 'youngster' (late 20s) during the development days and beta testing of stand on mowers… I don't think they do that much better on hills than other mowers…. which was supposed to be the big deal originally.

someone above made a good point…. long thin areas, trying to back out with a velke? what a mess.

Ive never seen a stander spin on a dime and take out a mail box with a SWISH (walker I'm looking at you)

hands down standers do the least amount of accidental damage to a property they are maintaining.
They take the least damage when loaded on a trailer during transport.

but they are hardly the 'wonder' mower either.

Compare a regular 48 stand on to a 48 walker…. in every situation, I think both mowers with equipped with a mulch deck will perform the job in the same time frame on a 'regular' residential lawn…with one exception, mowing near pond edges…this is not for a walker… it will become a submarine.

Generally a stander will be 35-40% less expensive than a B model walker.
and 50% the price of a T model.

If there are gates to open, hoses to move, and a news paper to move off the lawn… the stander is better than the walker because you had to keep getting up from that crouched position to move all that stuff.

No number of walkers with the deck in the up position, can ever squeeze in the same space on a trailer or box truck like standers can…

however…how many dudes actually run a crew with 5 to 6 mowers per truck?
So this is kind of a moot point, really…Im not even sure why manufactures try to sell this, since it hardly ever happens (wright and grasshopper really try to push the 'more mowers per trailer thing')

Ive had 6 walk behinds before and/or 4 standers…but it was VERY route specific… and i can't imagine this being standard anywhere.

Even at TG/ brickman/Valley crest I've need seen more than 3-4 mowers.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone mentioned Imprellis?

That should be at the top of the list.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I have no knowledge what Imprellis refers to, am curiuos
Old 04-10-2014, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Here's a pretty biased wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprelis

But basically: Dupont brought a selective herbicide to market that ended up killing a butt-ton of evergreens, causing serious problems for a lot of applicators.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Reading the thread about landscape fabric........................Landscape fabric. Biggest scam failure, flop, disaster.

Well, maybe second, Imprelis is up there too.
I guess I am one of the dumb ones. Why no fabric?
Old 04-13-2014, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maelawncare View Post
I guess I am one of the dumb ones. Why no fabric?
Doesn't stop weeds. Any seed on top of fabric will germinate. Pain in the butt when you go to remove a mulch layer. Even the heaviest stuff will breakdown over time.

Another flop/scam. Calling Zoysia low water, fert, maintenance wonder grass. Add Grassology to this list too.
Posted via Mobile Device