Register free!

Old 03-11-2014, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Opinions on Aerator

I currently own an exmark zero turn aerator and want to buy a small unit for small jobs or for jobs where if the exmark is being used i can still take the walk behind and go to work. I have looked at all the units and have considered plugger 855, turfco xt5, and lawn solutions 24". Seems like the turfco is getting a lot of good reviews and is a really good aerator for the money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyllan78 View Post
I currently own an exmark zero turn aerator and want to buy a small unit for small jobs or for jobs where if the exmark is being used i can still take the walk behind and go to work. I have looked at all the units and have considered plugger 855, turfco xt5, and lawn solutions 24". Seems like the turfco is getting a lot of good reviews and is a really good aerator for the money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
I love the Lesco split drum aerator or in your case maybe the standard drum 20 inch machine. Great for cut in's, backyards etc. They are bulletproof and in my opinion pull a better core than any aerator out there.

How do you like the Exmark? Does it pull good plugs? Do you get buildup on the tires from plugs and such?
Old 03-11-2014, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

The ex mark is a great ride on, no problems so far. It's only 2 years old. I've never considered the leach I'll check it out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2014, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a lawn solutions walk behind. Starting our 7th season with this unit, its been a durable, reliable & profitable machine for us! If i was to buy another walk behind unit tomorrow it would be an exmark or a turfco, as i believe lawn solutions is long gone?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

My local dealer is having an open house day where you can go and look at all the different machines, only one that won't be there is turfco. I'm going to go check out the plug r and the toro/ex mark.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-12-2014, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I bought an Exmark ZTR stand-on aerator last fall (I was the only one that used it). We did nearly 300 aerations, but I had a helper that aerated edges & backyards with small gates.

We carried 3 aerators on the "trailer" (I hate pulling trailers).

For quick & easy aerating around perimeters, we prefer a small size "drum aerator" (TURFCO or Ryan) with no water in the drum. But problem there is "dry soils" so plug depth is shallow.

Back yards with small gates >> TURFCO XT5 hands down.
Before we sold our Lawn Solutions (hydro) walk-behind, we did side-by-side comparisons. The XT5 was much faster, and pulled better plugs.

We have the first generation XT5. Never had to repair or replace parts. Handles nicely around curves, etc. So far it's the preferred walk-behind aerator according to my guys. Once I drive the ZTR aerator off the trailer, it's nearly always the XT5 that comes off next. my 2 cents
Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

get the xt5 or the plugr
Old 03-15-2014, 03:06 AM
LawnSite Member

It's my 1st season back in lawn maintenance. I had a small 20-25 account business for 3 seasons before I moved to Arizona for college, unfortunately I had sold most of my equipment including my aerator and power rake. I'm looking to start the season off focusing a lot on aeration and power raking. Due to my low investment amount I'm going to have to rent this equipment.
Before I wasn't too informed about a lot of things....
Being in southeastern michigan how soon could I start doing core aeration? What about dethatching?
And how do most of you price them? I want to try to set up a standardization system for pricing by square foot or something....
Suggestions?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2014, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Start when ready--soil is not frozen. You may need knobby tires and chains as there is still 14 inches of snow around here.

Be sure to include seed as an optional extra--improve results and make each job a bit more profitable. Be sure to include starter fertilizer to improve results and add a few dollars more to your income. Soil test and lime are another possibility.

For best results you need a steady source of income in addition to power raking and aeration.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

does anybody sell a manual/ hand aerator for small areas the machine cant get into . something like a shovel handle with a plate full of spikes on end of it that you thrust into ground to make holes ?