Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2014, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Spring Clean UP

I have a 96 unit apt building who I am putting together a quote for. They want street sweeping included in the spring clean up. I plan to use a bobcat with a sweeper attachment to get the job done. What is the going rate for this type of service? Hourly rate I'm sure? And I know add up overhead profit etc to get my cost but I don't agree with that most the time bc my overhead is very low as pay for most of my equip and carry very few loans. I just don't want to leave any money on the table! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone. Located in Southern NH
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2014, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sweepers average 65-75 per hour. Might be cheaper to sub out to a sweeping company?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2014, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bobcat day rate with operator is $450/$650
Old 03-07-2014, 05:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

$450 seems extremely cheap since renting a bobcat is $200, getting delivered and picked up is $150. Fuel is ? Even $650 seems on the low end.
Is that what most people are charging?
Old 03-07-2014, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Sweepers average 65-75 per hour. Might be cheaper to sub out to a sweeping company?
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow that's fking nuts. I'd be out of business in a week if my $40k loader (plus attachments, plus trucking/trailering) could only fetch $450 a day. I get that much for a $10k lawn mower.

And by no means am I calling you a low baller, if that's the going rate in your area than there's nothing anyone can do about it, it just goes to show how much the market varies from area to area.

Also....a good argument as to why "cost plus profit" isn't always the best way to price a job, the local market should always be taken into consideration.

Edit: I quoted the wrong guy, I'm referring to what landrus posted. Gimme a break, it's Friday night

And still not rich

Old 03-07-2014, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox4Life View Post
Wow that's fking nuts. I'd be out of business in a week if my $40k loader (plus attachments, plus trucking/trailering) could only fetch $450 a day. I get that much for a $10k lawn mower.

And by no means am I calling you a low baller, if that's the going rate in your area than there's nothing anyone can do about it, it just goes to show how much the market varies from area to area.

Also....a good argument as to why "cost plus profit" isn't always the best way to price a job, the local market should always be taken into consideration.

Edit: I quoted the wrong guy, I'm referring to what landrus posted. Gimme a break, it's Friday night

I see you are from MA, semi close to where we are. What do you guys get for the service in your area? I was thinking $125/ hr or somewhere in that ballpark?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-07-2014, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't do any sweeping, and not a ton of skid steer work in general, but I won't bring the loader somewhere for less than 80-90 an hour with just a bucket, add an expensive attachment and yeah, I don't think 125 is unreasonable. Obviously there's a million other factors that are relevant here., but I think 125 is a good neighborhood to be in.

Just for fun;
If I were asked to bid on a lot sweeping job.....if I figured it'd take about a day.
8 hours x 85 an hour or the loader = 680
+ 150 a day for sweeper rental
+ trucking out sand/crap

Would put me right around 1k, which is right where you are with 125 an hour

And still not rich

Old 03-13-2014, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajreeves View Post
I have a 96 unit apt building who I am putting together a quote for. They want street sweeping included in the spring clean up. I plan to use a bobcat with a sweeper attachment to get the job done. What is the going rate for this type of service? Hourly rate I'm sure? And I know add up overhead profit etc to get my cost but I don't agree with that most the time bc my overhead is very low as pay for most of my equip and carry very few loans. I just don't want to leave any money on the table! Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone. Located in Southern NH
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't forget that just because you dont carry loans doesn't mean you wont have to maintain the equipment or replace it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2014, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My cousin has a cat, 100 an hour. He's in upstate NY. His prices are on the high side for the area, but they do fantastic work. You might get under priced on 125.

I don't know much about street sweeping but if you think you'll have trouble making money on rented equipment you might want to consider other ways to accomplish it. Again, I know nothing about this service, just know what he charges for the bobcat.