Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-13-2014, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
It's true, they're not lying, I'm the last guy.

No seriously thou that one doesn't bother me much, mostly because I rarely ever hear it.
The one I hate hearing is "can you cut it shorter"
Oh I hear it a dozen times a week in spring, maybe more, then again in the fall.
I hear it until I'm ready to say AGHHHHHHHHH!

So I guess we pick our poison...
Do you lose customers over "the last guy did it cheaper?"
Because I lose them over "can you cut it shorter?"

I guess it boils down to, do you want short or do you want cheap?
Both, not happening.

Funny how that works.
there are three ways to have your lawn serviced:
Promptly,
Cheaply,
and
Quality.

You can pick any two.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a customer last year who wanted a quote for his moms house. I gave it to him, he said "well the other guys were doing it for $25." I asked (without being rude) "If they were doing it for $25, why didn't you call them again?" He said towards the end of the year they stopped showing up.

He was such a pain to negotiate with, but we settled on a price. This year I sent him a letter raising his rates. He called and I explained that the discount last year was to show him we were a reliable company, good to work with, and did the jobs right. He said he was very impressed, passed our info along to his neighbors (which he did), and he'd get back to me on the price.

He hasn't called back. Everything he ever wanted he wanted to haggle price, this time I was firm.
Old 03-13-2014, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My approach is different this year. It may not be popular, but i'm turning down alot of work. I finally got rid of the far out properties, and troubled customers and my per hour has sky rocketed. Trying to fit it all in wasn't working for me. Also, my b.s. radar goes up when someone tries to flatter me. I try to ignore the smiles and flattery and zero in on the deal. I think i'm at a point where i want to settle back, be particular about who i take on, and take care of my awesome customers. Feels right. Need to please is gone, and practically immune to flattery. It's actually kind of fun to watch these characters pitch me. If they only knew what i was thinking, we'd be fighting in the yard.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

"Will you cut it shorter?"

NO. Simple as that.

Don't be afraid to say no.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Potential Customer: "Oh, really? That high? The last ones were a lot cheaper..."

Your response: "Heh, so was the chick with AID's..."

After the awkward stare...

You say: "Huh. Uh...welp...."

Then turn around, get into your truck, and leave.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
I had a customer last year who wanted a quote for his moms house. I gave it to him, he said "well the other guys were doing it for $25." I asked (without being rude) "If they were doing it for $25, why didn't you call them again?" He said towards the end of the year they stopped showing up.

He was such a pain to negotiate with, but we settled on a price. This year I sent him a letter raising his rates. He called and I explained that the discount last year was to show him we were a reliable company, good to work with, and did the jobs right. He said he was very impressed, passed our info along to his neighbors (which he did), and he'd get back to me on the price.

He hasn't called back. Everything he ever wanted he wanted to haggle price, this time I was firm.
Sounds like Bowie area? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2014, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Sounds like Bowie area? Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes indeed! I have decided I will not be putting up with it anymore. Pay my price, or find someone else. BUT, what I have realized is a lot of customers in this area have been burned by lowballers in the past. The majority prepayed their lowballer of choice and the said lowballer never showed up! So people are revolting against them! There will always be the select few like the guy I described who is too dumb to figure out he's paying more and getting less. And for those people, they are better off with someone else until they agree to my terms.

Bowie's slogan should be "You owe me".
Old 03-13-2014, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just heard thru the grapevine (neighbors on mother's street) that an ex-customer is paying alot for getting her yard back in shape, and the per cut is $5 more than me. She wanted to take 6 months off with no yard service to save money. I wonder if she realizes the yearly total with me was cheaper?
Old 03-13-2014, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
Yes indeed! I have decided I will not be putting up with it anymore. Pay my price, or find someone else. BUT, what I have realized is a lot of customers in this area have been burned by lowballers in the past. The majority prepayed their lowballer of choice and the said lowballer never showed up! So people are revolting against them! There will always be the select few like the guy I described who is too dumb to figure out he's paying more and getting less. And for those people, they are better off with someone else until they agree to my terms.

Bowie's slogan should be "You owe me".
I don't even advertise in Bowie anymore. I got tired of it. Same with beechtree in upper Marlboro. Nothing but time wasters
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2014, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I don't even advertise in Bowie anymore. I got tired of it. Same with beechtree in upper Marlboro. Nothing but time wasters
Posted via Mobile Device
Wow exactly true! This is my third year in business. My first year, I was contacted by a lady with this:

"Hello my name is Ms. X, I would like to request a quote for my client for mowing services."

She wanted an over the phone price, which I explained I had to see the property. She was hesitant on giving the address, like her "client" was famous, but she finally did.

Man my heart was racing like crazy! My first year in business and I got to do a quote in beechtree!!!! Those houses are big! This will be big money! A secretary called on behalf of her client, this lady must have money!

When I got there, my GPS took me well past the big houses. Then the address it pointed to was a tiny townhouse. With all the rif raf there, I felt like I had to "vest up" and lock n load. Flash backs of Iraq and Afghanistan!

I quoted the price, called the secretary back and never heard another word.

Last week I got an email of someone requesting a quote. The house is in Woodmore, one of the many million dollar homes. He requested EOW and his quote to me was "looking for a good deal that I can afford". WTF bro, you just spent close to a mil on your house, and your ready to hire the cheapest guy you can find so your yard looks like crap as it's mowed EOW????