Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-09-2014, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddyboot View Post
Thsts good stuff. Youre the second person thats told me something weird is gonna happen at some point--to be prepared. I guess Ill brace myself. Im resisting the temptation to lower prices--stick to fundamentals, common sense and let those jobs/bids go that arent worth the time. At this point Im all talk, but my state exam is Wednesday, so after that its go time. If this local sign/graphics place would only get it in gear!
Ya like I had 2 trucks down this winter and Mt subs truco went down so I made aire i had a 3rd guy lined up just incase. Or my one sub had 3 plows break in one night. I've had trimmer issues, trailer bearing, flat mower tire and a spindle bearing go in one day. its just going to happen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-14-2014, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm new this year as well. I'm 19 and am almost completely legit. My first question is do you already have customers? If not then I wouldn't buy a big zturn. Easy for me to say since I can't afford one yet. I just started taping business cards to doors and already went through 500 cards, I now have 5 new weekly contracts plus I landed another 7 or so odd jobs, making $50 on some and over $200 on a few. So for advertising I would forget about a website for now unless you just want one and would stick to some nice business cards, and either pay some kids to pass them out or pass them out yourself. I would also make a Facebook page and use that on your business card, so people can see your work. I would start with 5000 cards if you want to have a good first year and then once you know your customers buy a mower or mowers that fit your needs. Also don't be scared to lose a job because to high of an estimate but never cut yourself short. As I was passing out business cards, a guy was outside watching some guys do some brick work on his new house, I asked him if he wanted a business card and after a minute of talking, I got to do my first estimate on a sod job. My estimate eneded up being to high, since I would have to rent the equipment to do sod, but after talking to the customer and finding out what he wanted I gave him an estimate on topdressing and filling the low spots on the existing lawn that he wanted torn out. I now have the job and a new weekly mowing contract plus he is telling his neighbors about me. And in most cases I would have been to scared to even make the offer to bid on sod. My point probably got lost, but dont be scared to give estimate on big jobs, just make sure you don't screw yourself, and always sell yourself. I lost the sod job but came back with something better for the customer and I will probably make $1000's off him in the future. P.s. Always carry pen and paper