Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-15-2014, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Degree in Civil Construction???

As most know I have a background in Horticulture and landscape construction. I have used my education in horticulture to become a licensed Landscape/Horticulturist, Irrigation Contractor, Pesticide/Herbicide Applicator, Arborist & Utility Arborist. I've got experience operating a variety of heavy equipment.

Over the past 2 years I've really taken an interest in Erosion & Flood Control. I've been reading up on BMPs for erosion and Stormwater. I read every issue of Erosion Control and Stormwater magazine, along with excavation and site prep. I started another company doing emergency sandbagging and providing prefilled palletized sandbags.

I want to take my new company to another level and am tryin to lay out a plan that will me succeed. I want to eventually get into large scale erosion and Stormwater installs for Govt and private funded projects in Southern Lousiana. I am currently studying to get my Heavy Construction & Commerial General contractor licenses. I still have some college benefits remaining from when I was in the Army.

So I'm thinking of using those benefits and going back to school and getting my associates in Civil Construction. That way I can learn the basics on the business and paperwork side of things. Also focus on soil stabilization and drainage construction.

For guys who do this type of work, am I on the right path??

Sorry for the long post.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-15-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I know im a new poster, but ive been reading for a long time. Your company seems very successful but i think you need to pick a path and stick with it for awhile, spreading yourself too thin will just allow each company to suffer, if you focus on one youll be very successful
Old 03-16-2014, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can't be good at everything or learn everything in life. It's good to have various knowledge and expertise, but you still have to stick to something after a while. Personally, I would keep working hard at my business instead of going to college, focus on the business that is already up and making money. Then maybe hire someone with more knowledge about the construction industry that can help you out.

-Just my opinion.
Complete lawn care services
Old 03-16-2014, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would think a degree would be a help but without a PE, most people wouldn't give you much credit IMO.

But then even with a PE, who would want that liability of making decisions, let another firm with a big E&O policy draw and stamp plans, etc...
Old 03-16-2014, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Your only one person and can only do so much. If that is the type of work you want to do start small and then hire someone with the proper credentials. Spreading yourself thin with trying to do everything will burn you out and allow you to make mistakes which can be very costly. Find out exactly what you are good at and enjoy doing and focus on that, the things you don't like doing or are not good at hire someone who excels at these things and watch your business prosper.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2014, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

An associates degree is not worth the paper it's printed on.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2014, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFGauvreau View Post
You can't be good at everything or learn everything in life. It's good to have various knowledge and expertise, but you still have to stick to something after a while. Personally, I would keep working hard at my business instead of going to college, focus on the business that is already up and making money. Then maybe hire someone with more knowledge about the construction industry that can help you out.

-Just my opinion.
I never got that memo.LOL

Everyone is different and a buisness can be very succesful with no identity so to speak other than a good reputationn of getting the job done regardless of the scope.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks fellas. I guess I need to decide if I want to play in the minor leagues or do what I have to do to become one of the big boys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2014, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Thanks fellas. I guess I need to decide if I want to play in the minor leagues or do what I have to do to become one of the big boys.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would <and Im sure you have> figure out all the State and Local Licenses you will need and do whats necessary to get them. A degree will never hurt, although it may take some time away from the babies, lol.

When you get rich, hope you will at least buy me a Beer.

Some small steps to take are to buy a good "transit" and learn how to use it in everyway it can be used. Im sure your county extension will have a lot of soil erosion info. avaible for free
Old 03-20-2014, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
Your only one person and can only do so much. If that is the type of work you want to do start small and then hire someone with the proper credentials. Spreading yourself thin with trying to do everything will burn you out and allow you to make mistakes which can be very costly. Find out exactly what you are good at and enjoy doing and focus on that, the things you don't like doing or are not good at hire someone who excels at these things and watch your business prosper.
Posted via Mobile Device
This is the best advice someone has have you

Don't be scared to pay someone. Stop trying to do everything yourself
Posted via Mobile Device