Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-17-2014, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Grass doesn't look too bad. Fix any shade problems by trimming trees as best you can. And don't even try to grow grass with less than 4 hours of sunlight per day. I think I can see weeds: veronica and clover.
Cut short as possible, remove residue, overseed with the best perennial rye you can find, then throw the residue back on the grass for mulch as if it were straw. Water heavily.
I think the stainless steel chd22 spreader by Earthway, would work out well--anything except stainless will rust away in 2 years. Holds 50 pounds--you will seldom need more than one bag of fert at a time.
http://earthway.com/product/c22hds-s...-spreader.ashx
Old 03-17-2014, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

1st photo might indicate snow mold? No matter, cuz it will recover.

Soil test >> that won't fix Grant's issues regarding: sun/shade, soil texture, drainage problems.

Old school = bluegrass/ryegrass blends.

I say go with the newest turfgrass cultivars. I'm talking turf-type tall fescues.

my 2 cents
Old 03-18-2014, 02:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I got the soil test results back today, I will for sure have to add a lot of dolomitic lime, any other recommendations you guys have are much appreciated.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2014, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dolomite lime at 50# per thou should raise the pH to 6.8, it should substantially raise the calcium and correct the Mg. You should retest the soil in 4 month's as this is only an amendment and not a permanent fix. If you are using well water that is high in Fe you are getting too much which could make it toxic at the levels shown because it is a heavy element and will stay around a long time. 0-0-62 SOP will help increase the K level. Kirill can most likely prescribe a solution for this issue of heavy Fe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2014, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
Dolomite lime at 50# per thou should raise the pH to 6.8, it should substantially raise the calcium and correct the Mg. You should retest the soil in 4 month's as this is only an amendment and not a permanent fix. If you are using well water that is high in Fe you are getting too much which could make it toxic at the levels shown because it is a heavy element and will stay around a long time. 0-0-62 SOP will help increase the K level. Kirill can most likely prescribe a solution for this issue of heavy Fe.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was planning on doing about half of the 125# per thousand now and the after another test in the fall adding more if needed. I have well water that is very high in Iron which as you said is most likely causing the high iron content. I am doing as much research as I can and am trying to figure it out but can someone who is familiar with lesco fertilizers recommend which one I should use based on my results, I have been trying to figure out the numbers but can't find them in the JDL catalogs. Thanks for all the help you guys are awesome!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

JDL should still be selling a blend 12-2-14. Google lesco 12-2-14 label and you may find it satisfactory. Using it at half rate will give 12,000 sq' of coverage. 70% slow N & K. Good minor package. Also at half rate Fe shouldn't be overdone. If you want no minors because you have enough except for the Mg with you should get with the lime. JDL also has 33-0-17 no minors.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by turfmd101; 03-18-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help turfmd, I am going to check and see if my JDL has the 33-0-17. Know that I know the iron is so high I need to figure out a different way to kill off a good amount of moss that was growing around some trees that I cut down to allow more sunlight in and expand the yard a bit. I was planning on spraying it with Iron sulfate and raking it out once it died but know I don't think that would be a good idea since the iron content is already so high, do you guys have any ideas?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

5.8 soil pH plus moss >>

I think lime and thorough core aeration would help.

What do you guys think about this?
Old 03-19-2014, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good ideas, Larry. I think the moss problem could also be solved with more sunlight--remember he said he cut down trees to reduce shade and the moss was growing underneath the trees.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Grass is generally tolerant of high iron levels. No need to do anything specific for that. Liming to a pH of 6.5 will minimize metal toxicity. The high levels of aluminum and manganese are often associated with acid soils.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738