Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-18-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Gravely Excelling

I received this card today inviting me to a Family Fun Day at my dealer's business on March 21 & 22. The card was stating there would be Bluegrass music by a certain group, hay rides, inflatables for the kids and lunch on both days.

This is very impressive for a dealer to show the community their appreciation, but what impressed me most was the card itself. The card was not advertising anything but Gravely mowers, this makes me believe Gravely is bringing more to the table with each passing year. Their advertising has been lacking somewhat until the last couple of years, whereas now as seen from this card they may be footing the bill for a large percentage of this outing.

This is very smart business on Gravely's part, and means they are proud of the mowers they are building and want to offer people a chance to look over what they have in their lineup. The opposite side of the card is showing more photos of their different series of mowers. This is very impressive Gravely is showcasing this advertisement through one of the better dealers.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2014, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

They pay 50/50 best I have heard and it's out of pocket for the dealer until the company reimburses the dealer.

One of the dealers I seen last week informed me how it worked. The rep I was talking to is also planning a day
Where he is chalanging the compition to a day in the sun.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2014, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Gravely has the machines, customer service, and talent to take a huge chunk of the commercial mower market in the next few years. If you follow their fleet deliveries its quite impressive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2014, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am super happy that gravely is finally starting to build a better name in the commercial industry. They have always built good machines but they have always lacked dealers and exposure. Even now in my area the dealers are sparse and the dealers that do carry gravely are small mom and pop shops. My dealer is 2 minutes from my house in the middle of a full fledged operational FARM. Call looking for Mike and there is a 50/50 chance he is out in the field planting or cutting corn etc etc. I showed up last fall and in 30 minutes my truck turned red because they were filling the silo's with corn which happens to be directly next to the mower shop. Dont get me wrong I love these guys and don't want them to change but most mowers around here are sold from only 2 or 3 main dealers and they are huge and only carry exmark, toro, bobcat and write. I just think Gravely needs to try and get there foot in the doors of some high volume bigger dealers.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with pro-

I left gravely after every dealer I found was the mom and pop, these are all we have or agri-dealer who would be happier selling a $160'000 over a mower for change types.

I had accepted that gravely couldn't help me anymore and I moved on,

Just recently I was in contact with gravely and they are back in the good with me.
I learned they have dealers that sell a million dollars plus a year and it was a pleasant feeling to know there is a dealer of their's with 4-5 of the same model and sizes in stock.

I give Gravely high marks for the efforts they are making.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2014, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35DollarLawns View Post
They pay 50/50 best I have heard and it's out of pocket for the dealer until the company reimburses the dealer.

One of the dealers I seen last week informed me how it worked. The rep I was talking to is also planning a day
Where he is chalanging the compition to a day in the sun.
Posted via Mobile Device
My dealer told me today the manufacturer paid 30% and 70% was covered by the dealer in his case. I guess it could depend on the sales volume of a dealer as to how much the manufacturer is allowed to cover.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It could the dealer I was referring to is a gravely exclusive dealer and is a million dollar + a year dealer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2014, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35DollarLawns View Post
It could the dealer I was referring to is a gravely exclusive dealer and is a million dollar + a year dealer.
Posted via Mobile Device
My dealer sells well over several million dollars worth of mowers each year but that includes several brand names with Hustler and Bobcat being his largest sellers and Gravely running third. I did some quick figuring and would say his Gravely sales alone would be in the 3/4 million range. His Gravely sales have picked up considerably in the past couple of years.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The dealer. Said his gravely sales picked up after he started selling the PROseries to smaller LCO and large homeowners.
He showed me something like 80 of them in stock and said last year he sold like 120-130 of just the pro60 ( number may be a bit high but it caught me going d***
Posted via Mobile Device