Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2014, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Edging plant beds

Thinking about buying the Echo BRD-280 Bed Redefiner this season to make re-edging beds faster.
Is it worth the cost? What are you guys using instead of edging by hand?
Old 03-18-2014, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

These work great when ground is very very dry. That's the only time they work. Out of all my equipment I've ever bought that was the worst piece I have ever bought.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

What are you using currently? We've rented one of those pull redefiners you pull and it seemed to work really well even in damp clay.

Getting sick of hand edging though is why I ask.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sthil bed re definer
I use my turfco edger works the best with no mess
Old 03-18-2014, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I want the stihl one for those real long edges on propery borders. The edges that aren't so important but kill the foot.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Would you say the Stihl is the better buy? Looks rather similar. I'll look at the turfco as well.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
These work great when ground is very very dry. That's the only time they work. Out of all my equipment I've ever bought that was the worst piece I have ever bought.
If the ground is too dry it is tough to get a deep bite into the soil. When the ground is wet it cuts really well, it just leaves the dirt in big blobs along the edge which are easily moved into the bed. The main problem when the ground is wet, is the dirt sticking to the inside of the head and causing it to bind and slow down and eventually get stuck. I just carry a stick or long screw driver in my pocket and every ten feet or so I scrape it out....either way its better than doing it by hand with a shovel.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Z View Post
Thinking about buying the Echo BRD-280 Bed Redefiner this season to make re-edging beds faster.
Is it worth the cost? What are you guys using instead of edging by hand?
after years of edging by hand, loading and unloading sod scraps, I can tell you its worth if for me. Paid for itself pretty quickly. It takes some time to get the hang of it. long straight lines are still a challenge for me with the redefiner. Ive never used the bigger bed edgers. I know they are pretty expensive (2-3k maybe I don't know)they wont work for cutting new beds, hence the REdefiner. You will want to get utilities and all irrigation lines and heads marked before proceeding. My main gripe is it doesn't cut deep enough, I usually go over the edge twice.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I used one of those pull bed edgers last year... never again if i can help it. Feels very awkward. This would be so much faster than edging by hand however. $$$ well spent if this works. Maybe I'll see if my dealer can let me demo.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Z View Post
I used one of those pull bed edgers last year... never again if i can help it. Feels very awkward. This would be so much faster than edging by hand however. $$$ well spent if this works. Maybe I'll see if my dealer can let me demo.
I also tried the demo first, easier to justify the 700$ purchase, also the redefine felt awkward at first, I imagine as with anything else, the big pull bed edger included, you will get used to it eventually