The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-16-2014, 11:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
yea… I agree.

This sounds crazy.

your gaol is to bid commercial jobs next year? With only a part time season and a few lawns under your belt?

Are there drugs hidden under the shrubs at commercial jobs?
what is the crazy attraction/race for newbs to run after commercial jobs?

This myth about big money in commercials is exactly that myth.
Sure the gross is more, but that doesn't mean you make more money.

Commercial work is generally for larger, more established companies with employees.
Commercial is easier for larger companies because they have a place to stick multiple employees for a while, rather than having them leap frog all over town.
Also easier to spot check quality at a few rather than a few dozen.

These aren't factors for new start up companies.

So all you're going to do is go all wild bill hickock, shooting from the hip, and muddy the pricing waters and make a complete mess.

How about a business plan?

You don't even know if the exmark deal sounds like a good deal, but are ready to bid commercial work next year.
IF you make a small error in judgement or estimate on a residential, it could cost you a few bucks.
Same error on a commercial can cost hundreds or thousands.

a five year business plan might include a major mower purchase like an exmark rider on year three.

Everyone wants to run out and buy toys and 'legitimize' the purchase because they are just up and going into the mowing business.

Why not just stay a pilot, retire a pilot and hire someone to cut your grass? OR if you have free time and want to learn the business… hire on for a reputable company and work for them to LEARN the business.
Can I just buy a jet and start flying passengers around?
Yes, I have a business plan. I am asking if the package is a good deal because I have never bought a commercial mower and don't know what to expect to pay or if discounts are given. I mentioned commercial properties as a goal next year and while that may be a bit ambitious, it is not impossible. I am talking about small commercial properties or even subdivisions. I do not need any of the income that is brought in to live off of. Everything is reinvested into the business. As soon as I can get enough work to keep an employee busy 5 days a week, I will. I am the President of the HOA in the neighborhood where I have a rental property and have a good working relationship with the management company. While I won't bid my own community (conflict of interest as I can decide to give myself the contract), I believe with the relationship we have established, they would be more than happy to recommend my company. Everyone has to start somewhere.

So while this may seem like a toy purchase, it is not. I am starting a legitimate business which I hope to grow as the years go by.

And yes you can buy a jet and start flying passengers around. Just as soon as you spend the $100,000 it takes to get all your certificates and then get enough time under your belt that an insurance company is willing to take the risk of insuring you.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like a decent deal, I would demo a few more mowers before you decide on the exmark. I have mowed with Exmarks, Dixie Choppers, Ferris, and Hustlers and spents 100's of hours on each. I know everyone has their preference on mowers like they do truck brands, but hands down Hustler is the most enjoyable/smoothest operating machine of the lot. The Dixie and Exmark's hydro controls are "choppy" compaired to hustler. Before you make a decision demo a hustler super z vs the others and the performance will speak for itself especially if you have the money.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I can't believe he compared mowing lawns to flying a jumbo jet. You compared getting on a zero turn and making some stripes to flying 200 people around at 36,000 feet hahaha I've received a ton of crap on here about starting my business because some people read half of your post and they assume you are just an idiot. Now 95% of the members on here are GREAT and give legit advice even if it's newbie question. Even if it were a toy purchase it's 0% for 48mo. Buy it it's going to make you money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-18-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How is anyone supposed to know if its a good deal, you haven't a price. Exmark makes commercial grade mowers. Thats the only answer that can be given with the information you provided. For a few thousand less if its the same setup I would take the scag and buy a 30" if that's your thing and still save a grand. They're not giving you a free 30" they're rolling the price into the package price. Its like offering to mow a lawn for free all year if they pay $1000 for the first mow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2014, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Well, the final price I got for the 2 was $11,000. I know it's kind of rolled in. There is nothing free in this world. ;-)
Old 03-19-2014, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

$11,000 is not a no brainer price. If you have a need for two mowers, get two mowers, but the price of the "free " mower is wrapped into the $11k. Assess your needs, shop for what you need, and get the best bang for the buck
Old 03-19-2014, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Member

The price without the "offer" was $10,174. So in essence, the 30 inch is just over $800.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I just bought the same mower 3 weeks ago for 9499. I prefer the exmark over the scag. I have owned both. I can't stand a walk behind. Owned one for a month and never will again.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The 30 inch isn't free. They're great mowers, but if you have a Z, you'll probably barely use it. Better off getting a nice 21 for a fraction of the price, or bumping up to a much better quality 36 WB for a little more.

I'll never understand why people don't like walk behinds. I enjoy mowing on a ztr just because its so much easier, but I don't think I'll ever get one.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc228 View Post
I just bought the same mower 3 weeks ago for 9499. I prefer the exmark over the scag. I have owned both. I can't stand a walk behind. Owned one for a month and never will again.
Is that fleet price? Have you bought before from that dealer that you're a regular? That's the one with the RED technology?
Posted via Mobile Device