Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-18-2014, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Harley Rake for a mini skidsteer Orlando or Tampa

I just bought a new sk650 Vermeer and I'm looking into trying-out a harley rake for some sod jobs I do, does anybody Tampa or Orlando area rent them? preferably Orlando area, I really want to see how they work.

thanks
Old 03-19-2014, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarhammock View Post
I just bought a new sk650 Vermeer and I'm looking into trying-out a harley rake for some sod jobs I do, does anybody Tampa or Orlando area rent them? preferably Orlando area, I really want to see how they work.

thanks

You must be a Yankee because Harley Rakes just aren't used here in Florida. I have never seen one here. Having been in the Sod business, a good sod cutter is what we used. On occasion I would use a Root Rake with Grabble to remove old sod after it had been cut with a sod cutter. But hand raking the area after sod cutting and before laying sod is the best & easiest prep you can do. Running heavy equipment on a yard isn't the best thing you can do. Most yard after irrigation an other underground stuff to break.

BTW A pallet of wet Bahia will weight up to 4500 pounds. Wet St Augustine weights 3500 pounds. I hope your new machine can handle that kind of weight. My piggyback fork lift could handle St Augustine but not Wet Bahia. I had to use my skid steer on Bahia. Of course a Heavy Duty Truck to haul the sod is a must if you want to be competitive in the sod business. I never made it to 18 wheeler status but I did have a F 7000 that could haul 10 pallets and a piggy back fork lift. For time spend etc. I made more money delivering sod and spotting it in than actually laying. I could buy a pallet for $ 60 in the field and deliver it for $ 125. Do 10 pallets twice a day and that nice work when it comes your way.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Lol aint no yankee here, born and raised in Fl, thats the reason I am wanting to try one out and see how it works I'm just looking to try somthing new thats all. Raking by hand and hauling off is not bad but I tilled a yard one time and it saved a bunch of time and you still had all the good top soil there.

And my new machine won't even come close to lifting a pallet of sod, I bought it for landscaping
but I have done quite a bit of sod over the last couple years, do have a 3wd Donkey forklift, couple Ryan Jr's, and a couple Kesmec walkbehind rollers I use to do my jobs when I get one ... but I don't push sod a whole lot myself
Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Try Rentalex in Tampa. Pretty sure I've seen one there before. Its going to have to be really large unimproved areas to make it any more efficient than a sodcutter as Ric said.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2014, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a 30 hp Kabota with front end loader that I used for landscape work. It didn't leave tracks on the lawn with turf tires like a Skid Steer can. By welding Clips in the Bucket, a Tree Boom can be slid in those clips. The Boom was a simple bar with a hook and was kept in the hollow tube that was part of the Front end loader. But after Hurricane Charlie I got out of everything except Spraying

I was Killing off lawns for a Sod Company that was laying new sod right over the old sod & weeds I killed. Much to my surprise it worked very well. Edges along Driveways Etc. had to feathered in and Sprinkler heads had to be raised. But the sod did well. However that company had their 18 wheeler roll over their equipment truck totaling everything. Now they only grow sod instead of installing it.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 03-21-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Try Rentalex in Tampa. Pretty sure I've seen one there before. Its going to have to be really large unimproved areas to make it any more efficient than a sodcutter as Ric said.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man ill have to give them a call, I've got a pretty decent 40 or so pallet job I bid on was just curious to try one

I know the sod cutter thing works good, I was doing the installs for Lowes and Home Depot across central fl, back last year and the year before, and that was the best way on those small yards .... but I ended up dropping that so I only mess with sod here and there when I get one good size one
Old 03-21-2014, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post

I had a 30 hp Kabota with front end loader that I used for landscape work. It didn't leave tracks on the lawn with turf tires like a Skid Steer can. By welding Clips in the Bucket, a Tree Boom can be slid in those clips. The Boom was a simple bar with a hook and was kept in the hollow tube that was part of the Front end loader. But after Hurricane Charlie I got out of everything except Spraying

I was Killing off lawns for a Sod Company that was laying new sod right over the old sod & weeds I killed. Much to my surprise it worked very well. Edges along Driveways Etc. had to feathered in and Sprinkler heads had to be raised. But the sod did well. However that company had their 18 wheeler roll over their equipment truck totaling everything. Now they only grow sod instead of installing it.

Ive got a 40hp New Holland tractor works good, i got forks, bucket, tree boom ... mine is skid quick connet works way better than the whole boom in bucket thing
but this new Vermeer only weighs 2600lbs on tracks and you cant even tell where I drive when I get done with a job, best big purchase I have ever made.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarhammock View Post
Ive got a 40hp New Holland tractor works good, i got forks, bucket, tree boom ... mine is skid quick connet works way better than the whole boom in bucket thing
but this new Vermeer only weighs 2600lbs on tracks and you cant even tell where I drive when I get done with a job, best big purchase I have ever made.
I liked my Kabota Bucket and Boom, but each to there own. Maybe a big differences was my 190 New Holland also had wheel weights for lifting 4500 pound sod pallets.