Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-21-2014, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Fertilizer Sprayers

I am new to the fertilizing world. I am currently using granular fertilizer that covers about 9,000 sq per 40lbs bag. My cost is about $25 a bag. I am not making too much profit because I don't want to charge my customers an outrageous amount. I have a few accounts that are 30,000 - 50,000 sq that I mow and I would like to give them a reasonable rate to fertilize and also make a good profit.

I am looking at a sprayer from tractor supply to start off with. It sprays at 2.1 gpm and has a 30 gal tank. I know its not big but it would do to start with. Here's the link.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/stor...sprayer-30-gal

Let me know if this is something I could make work for awhile or not.
Shindaiwa 254 Trimmer
Stihl Trimmer
Stihl Edger
Stihl Hand Held Blower
Stihl Hedge Trimmer Attachment
16' Tandem Axle Low Boy
2008 Nissan Titan 5.6

www.facebook.com/premiumlc
http:/mypremiumlawn.com
Old 03-21-2014, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A 30-50,000 lawn area requires a 200 gallon tank. Do a search on liquid fertilizers. I agree that they can be a good tool for management of warm season grasses growing under difficult conditions. However, you need the right equipment to make the application. A 30 gallon tank is good for maybe 12,000 sq ft max and the pump system had better be capable of 6 GPM to make that application in an economical amount of time.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-21-2014, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Shop around. The main problem is that your fert cost is too high. Talk to several suppliers. Dry fertilizer is faster and the equipment is cheaper--the application just costs less, due to labor and equipment savings.
Remember you cannot apply crabgrass or weed control without spray certification.
I assume you are not licensed--try to get your spray license.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Shop around. The main problem is that your fert cost is too high. Talk to several suppliers. Dry fertilizer is faster and the equipment is cheaper--the application just costs less, due to labor and equipment savings.
Remember you cannot apply crabgrass or weed control without spray certification.
I assume you are not licensed--try to get your spray license.
True, but I would avoid calling it a "spray license". It is a pesticide license. Regardless of whether the pesticde is a liquid or granular you will still need a license if you are a business. There are too many people that assume you only need the license if you are spraying. Also many people think that pesticides = insecticides. Pesticides are herbicides (pre-emergents, post-emergents, etc) fungicides, insecticides, rodenticides, etc. Even growth regulators in my state require a pesticide license. Some states also require a separate license for fertilizer.

If you are business and you go to Lowes, Home Depot to buy some Scotts Halts, or weed-n-feed, and you intend to apply to a customer lawn for money, you need to have a license.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice. I know all the ins and outs of what you need a license for and things like that. I am taking the applicators class in April.(its the next available class)

Quote:
greendoctor A 30-50,000 lawn area requires a 200 gallon tank. Do a search on liquid fertilizers. I agree that they can be a good tool for management of warm season grasses growing under difficult conditions. However, you need the right equipment to make the application. A 30 gallon tank is good for maybe 12,000 sq ft max and the pump system had better be capable of 6 GPM to make that application in an economical amount of time.
I was going by the things that I read on here that the average is 1 gallon per 1,000sq and about 2gpm. In that forum it said they could spray 1,000sq in about 30 seconds.
Shindaiwa 254 Trimmer
Stihl Trimmer
Stihl Edger
Stihl Hand Held Blower
Stihl Hedge Trimmer Attachment
16' Tandem Axle Low Boy
2008 Nissan Titan 5.6

www.facebook.com/premiumlc
http:/mypremiumlawn.com
Old 03-27-2014, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I was using John Deere Landscapes for our products and was paying on average $20-22 per bag depending on product. This year we are going with Advanced Turf Solutions and will be paying an average of $15-17 per bag for the same if not better product. Maybe call around and shop for the best price.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premiumlawns View Post
Thanks for the advice. I know all the ins and outs of what you need a license for and things like that. I am taking the applicators class in April.(its the next available class)

I was going by the things that I read on here that the average is 1 gallon per 1,000sq and about 2gpm. In that forum it said they could spray 1,000sq in about 30 seconds.
By average do you mean applying with a skid or a rider?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmg View Post
By average do you mean applying with a skid or a rider?
They were using a skid. I understand it would take more with this pull behind.
Posted via Mobile Device