Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2014, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newz7151 View Post
So what? Just let him drive without a license, hell, you are already paying him cash under the table and not reporting it.. why worry about a little thing like no drivers license?
I report everything I pay him. I just don't have payroll set up, yet to pay a check
2003 eXmark Turf Tracer HP 36"/15hp Kaw
Stihl SG 20 Backpack sprayer
Stihl handhelds
Stihl HL-100
Stihl BR600 Magnums
Need a good Stihl chainsaw
Old 03-23-2014, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look, you said yourself that the guy is worth it - then pay him... it's really that simple. You're getting caught up in the peripherals instead of focusing on the point - you need help and his request for a dollar more isn't outlandish. It's a figgin' dollar an hour more?? Make it a buck fifty and kick out the lunch part. Training a new and lesser quality guy is going to cost you more than a dollar fifty an hour! It buys his sweat and according to you, his GOOD work for another year. Maybe during that time you pick up another guy who CAN drive and train that guy as well. Next time Julio wants to hold you hostage, you have some leverage. But right now, you're on the edge of the season and you NEED his skills. The guy is just trying to better himself.

A wise man once told me, "the amount of success you will have in owning your own business is directly related to how much sh!t you can put up with".

Side note - I DON'T hire illegals and it p!sses me off to no end that people do. Me and every other person who has to work hard to pay our taxes are also paying Julio's taxes for him.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh_Cut View Post
He's been with me almost a year and I've never had a helper with his level of experience, work ethic, etc.
This statement tells me that you know he's worth it.

Quote:
I just don't like the ultimatum part about it because I really hate manipulative moves; "You pay me more or no mas".?
Don't make it personal. It's not. It's business. He knows he's worth a little bit more than he's getting paid. He's just trying to get what he's worth.

Quote:
Finally, how do I go about hiring a second guy to drive and still wanting my main guy to be crew lead, even though he doesn't have a license? Is it plausible to require a new guy to have something that his crew leader ?doesn't have?
Explain to the new guy that Julio can't drive but Julio knows how you want the job done and that new guy will have to follow Julio's lead because of Julio's experience and expertise. Done.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
No mas… typical hispanic thing, I personally hate that.
No DL no mas,
No shower No mas,
No work here, I call INS.
I need more lemon pledge.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2014, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I appreciate you chiming in.

The license thing is not a big deal as long as he stays on board with doing his part and doing it well. Not every person that works with me will need a license, and I'm fine with that.

Also, I would rather have clear defined roles/duties with everyone understanding & respecting the boundaries. I don't need everybody driving and each of them driving differently, so when something breaks I'm not sure of the source.

You buy lunch everyday??
I buy lunch sometimes, often, when we're busy, but not everyday. I don't wanna give anyone a sense of entitlement
I buy lunch everyday

Here people could drive a Ag tractor if they didn't have a DL but that has changed So a DL is a must on any you drive on the road. You might want check with your state laws.

In your state do you have to call the Child service on each employee check see if they have unpaid child support. Here its a state law
Old 03-23-2014, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I report everything I pay him. I just don't have payroll set up, yet to pay a check
How are you reporting what you're paying him if you don't have payroll set up? A 1099?

Old 03-23-2014, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

If nothing else you have to give him the raise now, that gives you time to find someone and puts you in the control position. That's how business is. If you is worth it do it, if not do it until you find another good helper then tell him to hit the road

A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying dang that was fun..
Old 03-23-2014, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

keep your right hand man, pay him the $1, I even like the idea someone else suggested and pay $1.5....hire another employee who drives (doesn't mean he is the boss) just means your right hand guy doesn't drive, in all honesty might be better...your right hand guy can fill in log sheet etc while being chauffered
2010 Ford F 150 Super Crew 4X4
2011 Walker MTefi 26hp 52"
2013 Wright Sentar Sport 36"
2013 Wright Sentar X 52"
2014 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2013 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2012 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2011 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
Old 03-23-2014, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
Look, you said yourself that the guy is worth it - then pay him... it's really that simple. You're getting caught up in the peripherals instead of focusing on the point - you need help and his request for a dollar more isn't outlandish. It's a figgin' dollar an hour more?? Make it a buck fifty and kick out the lunch part. Training a new and lesser quality guy is going to cost you more than a dollar fifty an hour! It buys his sweat and according to you, his GOOD work for another year. Maybe during that time you pick up another guy who CAN drive and train that guy as well. Next time Julio wants to hold you hostage, you have some leverage. But right now, you're on the edge of the season and you NEED his skills. The guy is just trying to better himself.

A wise man once told me, "the amount of success you will have in owning your own business is directly related to how much sh!t you can put up with".

Side note - I DON'T hire illegals and it p!sses me off to no end that people do. Me and every other person who has to work hard to pay our taxes are also paying Julio's taxes for him.
Great advice, thanks!

He's not illegal. He pays taxes, and has for at least the past few years.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2014, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Member

I didn't notice if, and I think I read all the posts, that no one has actually posted this guys first name. Maybe I missed it. I don't think give this man a "name" like the ones mentioned is really the right thing to do. I know for a fact, there are many reasons that people around here can lose their DL. It could be back child support like another post said, it could be unpaid parking tickets, it could be he was pulled over and his insurance has lapsed. That doesn't make him a bad person, or someone that is not worth a raise. If the man is making you money because he is good at what he does for you, then I feel he has earned his raise. I don't think it should be a every year thing. It is gonna take you some time to find someone that first does things the way you want them done, and at the pace they need to be done. Like others have said, you have to train the new person, that costs time and money, and to just find someone that is worth anything anymore, is a hard thing to do in it's self. If there is anything that he is not doing that you feel he should be, with the raise I would let him know that too.