Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-23-2014, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabmasonry View Post
I don't see what the big deal is. If you ask me, everybody on the road should have to pass the CDL test. Non if it is very complicated. I've got a B, and the only reason I didn't get an A is because I didn't have a tractor trailer combo to take the test with, and I didn't see a need to have a J restriction on my Class A Licence.

All of that aside. The expensive stuff starts when you gross over 10K. Thats when you are required to be FMCSA compliant, and thats regardless of CDL, DOT #, Farm plates ect. . . So if you gross over 10k guess what, you need fire extinguishers, fuses, triangles, Med card, drug testing pool, all of it. Having a CDL doesn't mean crap when it comes to the expensive stuff.
It's not that it's a big deal. I'm sure just about anyone participating here can pass the test with a blindfold on.

It's the fact that it gets expensive for us as a business. Then you're subjected to all these stupid high fines, regulations, and jackasses that control it. But uncle bob working on the farm or mr smith using his trailers for "personal" use have no regulations

I for one don't need to give Obama anymore money than I already do. And I'm not looking forward to it. Especially just to have an "ok" to do something I need to do
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-23-2014, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
It's not that it's a big deal. I'm sure just about anyone participating here can pass the test with a blindfold on.

It's the fact that it gets expensive for us as a business. Then you're subjected to all these stupid high fines, regulations, and jackasses that control it. But uncle bob working on the farm or mr smith using his trailers for "personal" use have no regulations

I for one don't need to give Obama anymore money than I already do. And I'm not looking forward to it. Especially just to have an "ok" to do something I need to do
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not against the CDL per se, but I am against an unlevel playing field. When I'm competing against subsidized farmers in a commercial market (as well as people who don't carry insurance or have tax permit, then I am fighting an uphill battle.

Farmers here have drought relief and sales tax relief on EVERYTHING they buy for the most part. All equipment, repairs, fuel, etc., is tax free. I regularly compete with ranchers who take their machines off-site with farm tags and compete in the land clearing arena offering "dirt" cheap prices when cattle prices are down.

Make the field level and I'll take and pass whatever they throw at me but it irks me that the field isn't close to being level.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-23-2014, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea I think any State that is Ag based you see this type of inequality. We have similar issues here. I think it went like this, the State legislature's used to be (maybe still are) made up of old farmers and ranchers. Pretty easy to slight the rules to favor the industry you know and are passionate about. Probably even easier when the entire State economy revolved around Ag.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it was about safety, why is the ticket book out immediately?

You know, I'm tired of always trying to stay legal when the shady contractors don't even try. I'd rather just pay an 'access fee' so the DOT would just leave me alone.

Say we threw the CDL/DOT stuff out(crazy I know...), what would you do differently?
Old 03-23-2014, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
Say we threw the CDL/DOT stuff out(crazy I know...), what would you do differently?
I'd drive less miles and normal hours, put less wear and tear on the truck and trailer, save a lot of fuel money and time by driving the closest distance between points A and B since there wouldn't be any scales or check points to avoid.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
I'd drive less miles and normal hours, put less wear and tear on the truck and trailer, save a lot of fuel money and time by driving the closest distance between points A and B since there wouldn't be any scales or check points to avoid.

LOL! No kidding. I would love to have the miles and fuel back that we spend going around known check points.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What's sad is there will always be cheaters whether it's in "Heavy Equipment and Paving" or in sports and life in general.
I've just never been a cheater. I've made some mistakes in my youth but as a responsible adult, I have always tried to do the right things both in business and in life. I'm not perfect but I try. I don't like feeling like my own government is out to steal from me or make me follow rules that others don't but the truth is, I feel like that every day. I have a sub contractor who will not get a sales tax permit. I wish I didn't have one but I have a website or two and if I didn't, I'd surely get my account frozen.
I have to collect and remit for my subs because I'm stuck. At least two of them carry good insurance... the rest of the labor pool is much, much worse here. I've tried to hire contractors that follow the same rules as I do and they just don't seem to exist in my microcosm. SIGH...

I've written my federal reps and senators as I mentioned before. I will get a response but I doubt anything will get past a cursory response because I'm just a nobody with 1 vote. It does take a lot of people to change things.
You guys that already have a CDL should be in on the push to simplify things too. Once they figure out that there is revenue based in pulling you over, it will get worse and worse and those who hide behind AG use or Farm use will be out underbidding you.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 03-24-2014, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
This is one of my biggest pet peeves(CDL rules), they need to be updated and clarified. The 5.0 give you a different answer every time.

Mark may call me an idiot but I think the CDL rules could be thrown out and I would bet nothing would change - in fact I bet things would be safer. Instead of guys overworking 3/4 tons or 550's they would go back to the big single axles that can haul the proper weight. All the laws are doing now is pushing guys to run 3/4 tons with dump trailers that are grossly unsafe. Maybe for tri axles/quads and semis there could be something but say tandem and smaller just leave them be. Just because a guy passed a test does not make society safe?
You're not an idiot. If you are, then so am I as I agree, they could be thrown out.

Quote:
If it was about safety, why is the ticket book out immediately?

You know, I'm tired of always trying to stay legal when the shady contractors don't even try. I'd rather just pay an 'access fee' so the DOT would just leave me alone.

If it's not about money, why is a burned out headlight on a CMV $300 or whatever but on a private vehicle an R&R or a $65 ticket. Why do cars not get fined for being low on windshield washer fluid, but you get a fine\tax in a CMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
What's sad is there will always be cheaters whether it's in "Heavy Equipment and Paving" or in sports and life in general.
I've just never been a cheater. I've made some mistakes in my youth but as a responsible adult, I have always tried to do the right things both in business and in life. I'm not perfect but I try. I don't like feeling like my own government is out to steal from me or make me follow rules that others don't but the truth is, I feel like that every day. I have a sub contractor who will not get a sales tax permit. I wish I didn't have one but I have a website or two and if I didn't, I'd surely get my account frozen.
I have to collect and remit for my subs because I'm stuck. At least two of them carry good insurance... the rest of the labor pool is much, much worse here. I've tried to hire contractors that follow the same rules as I do and they just don't seem to exist in my microcosm. SIGH...

I've written my federal reps and senators as I mentioned before. I will get a response but I doubt anything will get past a cursory response because I'm just a nobody with 1 vote. It does take a lot of people to change things.
You guys that already have a CDL should be in on the push to simplify things too. Once they figure out that there is revenue based in pulling you over, it will get worse and worse and those who hide behind AG use or Farm use will be out underbidding you.
I agree completely. I do my best to obey the laws. There is no way in the world I can or do obey all of them. I don't try to avoid compliance, but just do the best I can without going broke.

In reality, I could have at least 1 FT person making sure we follow all the laws. And I only have 6 FT people out in the field, including me. Tell me how that is reasonable?

The best one that has only been touched slightly is the random drug testing. Currently I am the only CDL holder in my company, but if I just do a drug test every year, it doesn't fly because it isn't random. So in order to be random, I have to be in a group with a bunch of other CDL holders. So even though (as I recall) I might have to be tested randomly on an annual basis, it is impossible. Or some such crap. I got a headache and pissed off trying to understand it, so I gave up listening.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 03-24-2014, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
You're not an idiot. If you are, then so am I as I agree, they could be thrown out.

If it's not about money, why is a burned out headlight on a CMV $300 or whatever but on a private vehicle an R&R or a $65 ticket. Why do cars not get fined for being low on windshield washer fluid, but you get a fine\tax in a CMV.

I agree completely. I do my best to obey the laws. There is no way in the world I can or do obey all of them. I don't try to avoid compliance, but just do the best I can without going broke.

In reality, I could have at least 1 FT person making sure we follow all the laws. And I only have 6 FT people out in the field, including me. Tell me how that is reasonable?

The best one that has only been touched slightly is the random drug testing. Currently I am the only CDL holder in my company, but if I just do a drug test every year, it doesn't fly because it isn't random. So in order to be random, I have to be in a group with a bunch of other CDL holders. So even though (as I recall) I might have to be tested randomly on an annual basis, it is impossible. Or some such crap. I got a headache and pissed off trying to understand it, so I gave up listening.
Sorry, I must have read wrong. I thought I read somewhere that Michigan isn't enforcing the DOT stuff? Just think how much money/manpower it takes to enforce all this nonsense...

Something I've been thinking about is how you can be ethical and treat your customers to top notch service yet still be a 'criminal' in the eyes of the law.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Sorry, I must have read wrong. I thought I read somewhere that Michigan isn't enforcing the DOT stuff? Just think how much money/manpower it takes to enforce all this nonsense...

Something I've been thinking about is how you can be ethical and treat your customers to top notch service yet still be a 'criminal' in the eyes of the law.
They raised the CMV threshold from 10,001 to 26,001. There's still some nonsense involved, but not quite as much as before.

As for money\manpower, that's why they do it, raise revenue.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office