Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-23-2014, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Member

House wash from NothernTool

I bought this house wash detergent from NorthernTool the other day. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Bleach, no bleach, how long to let it sit?
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too..._351434_351434

I'll be washing my vinyl sided house for the first time pretty soon and want to do it right. My biggest issue is algae and the shaded side of the house is awful with it. I'm going to buy a ball valve (seen lots of videos with that technique). However, the peaks of my house on the sides are about 30' +/- high. Will a ball valve still get up there? I did buy the 24' extendable wand. It was on sale and I had a $20 off coupon.

Here is my pressure washer, also from NorthernTool. I really like it and it seems a lot more durable than anything from say, Lowes or Home Depot.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4734_200594734

48" Bobcat WB w/ 14hp Kohler
21" Troy Built
Echo 225 trimmer/edger combo
Poulan blower
12x6 atv trailer
Old 03-23-2014, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Member

My house was built in 2001 and I bought it in 2010. Just to give you an idea of the age of the siding. It's a light yellow, FYI.

48" Bobcat WB w/ 14hp Kohler
21" Troy Built
Echo 225 trimmer/edger combo
Poulan blower
12x6 atv trailer
Old 03-24-2014, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I know nothing about the detergent you bought. Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) is the primary agent to get rid of mold and mildew on vinyl houses. 99.999% of professional power washers swear by it. It is much more effective, safe, and less effort then using high pressure.

Find some 7-9% sodium hypochlorite bleach at your store, put about 4 gallons of it in a 5 gallon bucket and fill rest of bucket with water. Add a dash of surfactant/soap since you dont do this for a living your best bet will be dawn or gain that you will have around your house. Drop your injector tube into this five gallon back

Use your soap tip (black tip usually), coat the house with this soap. Let it dwell 10 mins or so. Rinse off with the lowest pressure nozzle you can reach with. Generally professional power washers use tips with oversized orifices that drop the PSI to ~100 PSI. They let the sodium hypochlorite and high GPM/volume of water do the work.

I don't think your machine will have the GPM to shoot 3 stories 8, you will have to struggle with that extension. Commercial machines are generally 5.5GPM + and can handle that 25-30 ft height without the 20" extension wand.

Good luck, if this sounds daunting just hire a pro and enjoy drinking a beer while they do the work for you.
Pressure Washing Augusta GA
Incredible Pressure Washing Martinez GA
Best power washing service in Augusta GA.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Sounds advice as always Jeff. I couldn't have said it any better.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Im no pressure washing expert, and I only do about 2 preshure washing jobs for money per year, and do a bunch for my self.
Ive used bleach for years and got a bug up my rear to try something different. I bought a gallon of Zep house wash from the Box store. It works great, and takes very little product to do the job. After 2 large houses I still have half left. Its a HUGE savings over bleach, and I dont think is as hard on the house. Just my experience as I don't do much pressure washing at all.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/ZEP-128-o...S128/202056507
Old 03-24-2014, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Larry, with all due respect, I can cut a lawn with a Murray 21", right? If it works for you as a homeowner, great. But for those in the business, you won't find 'ZEP' on the trucks. Trust me. But if you're happy with it, that's all that matters bud. Call or email me if I can be of any help.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Cleaning Virginia View Post
Larry, with all due respect, I can cut a lawn with a Murray 21", right? If it works for you as a homeowner, great. But for those in the business, you won't find 'ZEP' on the trucks. Trust me. But if you're happy with it, that's all that matters bud. Call or email me if I can be of any help.
As I said, I do a lot of pressure washing on my own properties, and the Zep Product saved me a lot of money over bleach.

Should I ever make pressure washing a business endeavor I will contact you.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
As I said, I do a lot of pressure washing on my own properties, and the Zep Product saved me a lot of money over bleach.

Should I ever make pressure washing a business endeavor I will contact you.
Sounds good.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I tried the cleaner from Northern Tool. It does alright if you just have surface dirt, but it will not take anything like mold or algae off the siding.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalkol View Post
I know nothing about the detergent you bought. Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) is the primary agent to get rid of mold and mildew on vinyl houses. 99.999% of professional power washers swear by it. It is much more effective, safe, and less effort then using high pressure.

Find some 7-9% sodium hypochlorite bleach at your store, put about 4 gallons of it in a 5 gallon bucket and fill rest of bucket with water. Add a dash of surfactant/soap since you dont do this for a living your best bet will be dawn or gain that you will have around your house. Drop your injector tube into this five gallon back

Use your soap tip (black tip usually), coat the house with this soap. Let it dwell 10 mins or so. Rinse off with the lowest pressure nozzle you can reach with. Generally professional power washers use tips with oversized orifices that drop the PSI to ~100 PSI. They let the sodium hypochlorite and high GPM/volume of water do the work.

I don't think your machine will have the GPM to shoot 3 stories 8, you will have to struggle with that extension. Commercial machines are generally 5.5GPM + and can handle that 25-30 ft height without the 20" extension wand.

Good luck, if this sounds daunting just hire a pro and enjoy drinking a beer while they do the work for you.
This man speaks the truth. Ive washed thousands of houses. Though i used dedicated pumps instead of a PW,but its the same idea.
Posted via Mobile Device