Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-25-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlpg View Post
Great points, but not all companies price based off the cost of gas prices. I'd still love the opportunity to talk as I am one that wants to advance the cause, not derail it. Like you, we are a little different from the competition. Not everyone does things the same. Guys like yourself are a great when new technologies come out for feedback purposes. I'm in this from a national level where we have seen great success, so discussing the roadblocks you are seeing better the entire evolution of propane mowers. Thanks for the dialogue.
Posted via Mobile Device
Pm me a phone number and a time window to give you a call. I'm CST.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey Everybody!! Great to see a thread that I can share some information of the topics I love. Everybody has been talking about the alternative fuels. Yes there great, but not perfect. There a great way to lower you expenses and lower emissions. There also great to grab new customers. Now in this thread you guys had been disusing a little about electric mowers. Now all of us hate the sound of the mowers. Not everybody likes to wear protection for their ears. I for one don't. Don't ask me why thou. The problem with the propane mowers or any type of alternative fuel mowers is there just modded gas mowers. They still have the same noise factor. Now lets talk electric!

So many of you guys think the electric mowers are under powered and art "ready" to be used for commercial applications. Well your wrong. They are ready!! http://www.meangreenproducts.com/. These guys are located out of Ohio and manufacture electric commercial mowers. From zero turns to stand-ons they have every combination. Now there base 48 inch stand on mower runs around 8K and another 5K for batteries. Now your wondering, For around 10K I can get a new gas stand on. But for 3K more you get a battery mower that will save you money and pay for the extra 3K lots of times!! I encourage you to check out there site. They got some great stuff!! You probably wondering how long do they run? The run time on the stand on with 2 48V batteries is right around 4.5 hrs. Now remember, say you mow for 15 min. intervals (one stop) you would have 18 stops. That's one day!! Now the batteries are removable so if you had 2 more you could run another 4 hrs! They also have larger batteries, up to 10 hrs is some configurations.
Now there also selling package deals. These are great because you can get battery handhelds with the mowers and a trailer outfitted with plugs. There pretty much ready to go. Hook up and your off! http://www.meangreenproducts.com/Ele...erpackage.html

Now as far as hand held equipment goes Stihl and Core Gas-less power make professional battery handhelds. I am not as knowledgeable in this but core makes the simplest motor in the industry. Stihl is a popular name in gas products and is very reliable. They all run around 1 Hr on a charge and charge in little as a half an hour with a quick charger. They run in price exactly to a gas one!!
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/battery/
http://coreoutdoorpower.com/

Advantages: Gas vs. Electric
Sorry to keep rambling on but i'm done after this!!

1. Get more jobs. Okay, heres a great example put a "gas guy" and a "Zero emission guy" side by side. Now if you were the homeowner, who would you rather have? The guy who is extremely loud and pollutes? Or the guy who is super quiet and doesn't pollute. So quiet he could mow at night. Yes Mean Green make a kit for night mowing !! Oh, and they cost the same. I would want the "zero emission guy"!!!

2. Save money!! That's all there is to it. According to Mean Greens website on average one would save $344 a month on one stand up mower. Now if you have 6 mowers mowing that's around 2000 a month in savings. Now times by mowing say 7 mouths out of the year that's around 14,000!!! Also factor in the handhelds and you could save around 16,500!!!

3. Stand out form the crowd. I see hundreds of companies all the time running gas equipment. You could be the first in your area! Only a slim percent of business stay around after 5 years. Now would be your chance to take their business!

So thats my night time paragraph. Hope you guys look into them. It would really change our world. Also did I mention that diesel engines run on waste vegetable oil?!?! http://www.fullcirclefuels.com/ . There's another way to be Eco friendly!! Hope you guys enjoyed this. Please give these guys a call and or look into it, it may just be the right thing for out planet and you pocketbook!! Now this took me some time so please no negative comments . If you have any questions please feel free to ask me or PM me. Thanks guys!!! Oh hey look at that, today's Earth Day!!

-Cameron
Old 04-22-2014, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Electric is neat but what do all those batteries do to your electric bill?

Not only that but the thought of plugging in 20+ batteries every night and then reinstalling them in the morning doesn't sound cost efficient.

JMHO
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-22-2014, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Electric is neat but what do all those batteries do to your electric bill?

Not only that but the thought of plugging in 20+ batteries every night and then reinstalling them in the morning doesn't sound cost efficient.

JMHO
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm not exactly sure but it think its very little. If you used solar panels then none!! But you could keep everything in the trailer and have solar panels mounted to the trailer, then when your driving to each stop and at the yard they would charge. Mean Green is offering with their packages an enclosed trailer and inside there were plugs and it was hooked up to the trucks electrical system thou I don't know how that would work. I have scene company's pictures of trailers with solar panels on the roof, its pretty cool!

I completely understand plunging in all those batteries every night. But if you think about it, refueling mowers at the gas station, changing propane bottles all aren't cost efficient. Thou if there's solar panels on the trailer, equipment could stay in there charging, then would save money.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How about quality of cut (QOC)? I would think these electric motors would not put out the same power to properly turn some high lift blades at ~19,000 fpm.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 04-24-2014, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I still stand by what I said. The customer doesn't give a damn what cuts their yard. Gas or electric.

I live in the most hippy prone area around here and no one gives a damn. We're just outside of Baltimore/dc
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
How about quality of cut (QOC)? I would think these electric motors would not put out the same power to properly turn some high lift blades at ~19,000 fpm.
They do meet 19,000 fpm. I think even a little more. The motors are actually a little bit more powerful than the gas engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I still stand by what I said. The customer doesn't give a damn what cuts their yard. Gas or electric.

I live in the most hippy prone area around here and no one gives a damn. We're just outside of Baltimore/dc
Posted via Mobile Device
It seams like every time I post something you always have something negative to say to me. I do respect your opinion but where I live, people love this service and they do care! I don't get why you don't like it? If I was the customer I would care what cuts my lawn. Would you rather have a lawnmower of a herd of goats?? Or if you have a smaller lawn would you rather have a huge 72in ztr or a 32in wb. I would want the 32in wb because it would do less damage to the turf. Where you live it must be different? Its a growing trend, zero emission mowing is one of the fastest growing markets in the lawn care industry!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is that your opinion or a fact? I googled it and found exactly one company on the first page. And they were a franchise.

You repeat a lot of things salesman say.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-24-2014, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cli99 View Post
I'm not exactly sure but it think its very little. If you used solar panels then none!! But you could keep everything in the trailer and have solar panels mounted to the trailer, then when your driving to each stop and at the yard they would charge. Mean Green is offering with their packages an enclosed trailer and inside there were plugs and it was hooked up to the trucks electrical system thou I don't know how that would work. I have scene company's pictures of trailers with solar panels on the roof, its pretty cool!

I completely understand plunging in all those batteries every night. But if you think about it, refueling mowers at the gas station, changing propane bottles all aren't cost efficient. Thou if there's solar panels on the trailer, equipment could stay in there charging, then would save money.
I think the package your referring to was around 60 grand....... that's a lot of scratch for what they offered. Even 3k for a push mower and a couple handhelds. That's a crazy amount of upfront capitol for what seems like a niche market.

As a far as fuel we use bulk at the shop, crew comes back, cleans truck, fuels truck and mowers and are ready for the next day. Like I said the battery thing seems neat but not an economical option for us.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-26-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
Is that your opinion or a fact? I googled it and found exactly one company on the first page. And they were a franchise.

Posted via Mobile Device

There are many zero emission mowing companies out there. In my researching, I found some 30 companies. Yes there a some franchises out there but there are a lot of smaller companies, you just have to look. There are even a few larger ones experimenting to see how it works and weather they should implement into everyday situations.