Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2014, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
Put it up on the wheelie bars and ride a good wheelie out.

Thats the first thing I do.

My advice is calibrate it all you want, bu be careful with your loads. I find running the so called label rates for weed control for a low volume machine is too hot and un necessary.

Especially for new operators.

Theres a sweet spot depending on what size lawns you do, how good you are, how crappy you are, the weather, weed pressure etc etc the list goes on.

Example...Labels with the 1/3rd gallon tips are going to tell you to run it at 4.5 ounces per gallon. Thats great if you're doing soccer fields but if you're doing half acres with some 5000 square footers mixed in or some highly landscaped unusually shaped areas where you aren't maintaining 5 MPH... 4.5 is way too hot.

Just some thoughts others may disagree with but I have nearly 10,000 hours on Zmax's. over the last 8 years.
For tight areas with lots of turning and certain other situations I use the grey-1 gallon tips for more forgiveness
Old 03-27-2014, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One-third gallon tips--do you mean you are applying one-third gallon per thousand sqft? If you wanted to apply about 1 ounce herbicide per thousand you would mix about 3 ounces per gallon.

OR--do you mean the nozzle tips apply one-third gallon per minute? Then you would need a lot more.

What is your gallons output of solution per 1000 sqft?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Member

I think I started with the standard stock AI110025 purple nozzles and they do work fairly well at .34 gals/1000 at 5 mph. However for open properties I changed to the Grays that stayed close to the same water range but at speeds around 9 mph. The main problem is the droplet size is extra coarse. Great for drift control but not optimal for coverage. I have changed to the AIXR11003 Blue nozzles which will get me down to a coarse spray at .25gal H2O/1000 at 9 mph for the larger open properties and still stays in the coarse droplet spray at 5 mph while putting out .47gal H2O/1000 for the residential stuff. Both speeds will be sprayed at 50psi. Good versatility for my set up. Also keeping in a reasonably low drift potential as well. I really like the turbo twinjet twin flat jet nozzles that spray two sprays opposing each other at 60 degrees, but I am not sure if it would work with the stainless steel guard being so close to the nozzles for the front and the castor wheels being close on the back spray.

John
Old 04-03-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

IMPORTANT

After you hug it,
look up under the hopper. You will see a bunch of black teeth up against the spinner. That is called the acuway, it difuses the prills onto the spinner. They build up and cake up, so what happens is more product get thrown to one side. Make sure you keep them clean or you will stripe the crap out of a lawn.

Going across hills is tough, you want to crab across nose slightly up, or lock casters, try a few passes before you spread fert, the first time the tires break lose and youfly down the hill is great for the rectal butt pucker.
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 04-08-2014, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

After the first day on my Z I took off the Acuway and the agitation spinner in the hopper. the spinner would just grind the fert into dust, then it would collect in the Acuway and make the spread pattern terrible.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=Cadzilla;4996671]
Example...Labels with the 1/3rd gallon tips are going to tell you to run it at 4.5 ounces per gallon. Thats great if you're doing soccer fields but if you're doing half acres with some 5000 square footers mixed in or some highly landscaped unusually shaped areas where you aren't
maintaining 5 MPH... 4.5 is way too hot.

I thought those machines had devices to compensate for slower ground speed?
Old 04-08-2014, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

[QUOTE=ed2hess;5007221]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
Example...Labels with the 1/3rd gallon tips are going to tell you to run it at 4.5 ounces per gallon. Thats great if you're doing soccer fields but if you're doing half acres with some 5000 square footers mixed in or some highly landscaped unusually shaped areas where you aren't
maintaining 5 MPH... 4.5 is way too hot.

I thought those machines had devices to compensate for slower ground speed?
They can for a chunk of extra $$$

I figure the more bells and whistles you have, the more potential you have for headaches and problems.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyturf View Post
After the first day on my Z I took off the Acuway and the agitation spinner in the hopper. the spinner would just grind the fert into dust, then it would collect in the Acuway and make the spread pattern terrible.
Agreed. It didn't take me long to get rid of them on mine. All the pin on the shaft in the hopper did was make my high quality fert turn to dust. Its about like a coffee grinder. The only thing it could possibly be good for would be low grade ferts that have not been screened properly. I could never get the Acuway adjusted properly and was constantly having to take one of my flag stakes and chisel the built up fert dust from the teeth. I decided to take it off and see how it did and I haven't looked back