Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2014, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Opinions on this Web site, please

A friend of mine is working on his new website. I don't know exactly what I think of it. Maybe you can critique it for me, so I can see if my thoughts on it are off base.
www.avalonparrish.com
Old 03-27-2014, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

My friend also did www.allscapenc.com
I may be a simpleton, but I'm seeing lots of words, but my eyes roll back into my head, before I can grasp the meaning
Old 03-27-2014, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Both of the sites seem text intensive (and the font is too small for the main body text). I always recommend to people to keep a couple of key metric in mind when designing a site: the 4 second rule and the 30 second rule. That is that you've got about 4 seconds to initially capture their interest (so they don't hit the back button) and then about 30 seconds to tell them what you do and why you're the solution that they need, above anyone else. That means a brief description of services and then your differentiators (i.e. your story of what sets you apart).

If it takes too long to get to that, people will loose interest and, either go to a different site where they can get the information quicker, or they will try to skip ahead to your pricing. Generally you don't want to drive customers to a pricing discussion as that makes it a commodity sale - they see you the same as everyone else and it is just a matter of who is cheapest. Instead you want to drive them to a value-added sale where price is a secondary issue (and that is a hard fight as most people think of lawn care as a pure expense and they don't focus on the upside).

The content (imagery and text), layout, and structure of your website should target those two key metrics, reinforce the value-add sale, provide a call-to-action (easily accessible form for requesting more info, easily accessible coupon, etc.), and the basics like on-page SEO, analytics integration, etc.

I find that a lot of people that bill themselves as web developers are really just people that know how to code some HTML (often old-school HTML that is a little dated now with HTML 5, which can present some issues) or maybe they like to play around a little in Wordpress. The reality is that a good web developer gets to know you and your business to help you walk through the construction of a website that motivates the website visitor to convert them into a viable lead. Leads, depending on your close rate, translate into revenue and that's what it is all about.

Too often the focus becomes myopic and we loose track of the overall goals of the website, how people are going to interact with it to convert them into viable leads, etc.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xener View Post
Both of the sites seem text intensive (and the font is too small for the main body text). I always recommend to people to keep a couple of key metric in mind when designing a site: the 4 second rule and the 30 second rule. That is that you've got about 4 seconds to initially capture their interest (so they don't hit the back button) and then about 30 seconds to tell them what you do and why you're the solution that they need, above anyone else. That means a brief description of services and then your differentiators (i.e. your story of what sets you apart).

If it takes too long to get to that, people will loose interest and, either go to a different site where they can get the information quicker, or they will try to skip ahead to your pricing. Generally you don't want to drive customers to a pricing discussion as that makes it a commodity sale - they see you the same as everyone else and it is just a matter of who is cheapest. Instead you want to drive them to a value-added sale where price is a secondary issue (and that is a hard fight as most people think of lawn care as a pure expense and they don't focus on the upside).

The content (imagery and text), layout, and structure of your website should target those two key metrics, reinforce the value-add sale, provide a call-to-action (easily accessible form for requesting more info, easily accessible coupon, etc.), and the basics like on-page SEO, analytics integration, etc.

I find that a lot of people that bill themselves as web developers are really just people that know how to code some HTML (often old-school HTML that is a little dated now with HTML 5, which can present some issues) or maybe they like to play around a little in Wordpress. The reality is that a good web developer gets to know you and your business to help you walk through the construction of a website that motivates the website visitor to convert them into a viable lead. Leads, depending on your close rate, translate into revenue and that's what it is all about.

Too often the focus becomes myopic and we loose track of the overall goals of the website, how people are going to interact with it to convert them into viable leads, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2014, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyVette View Post
My friend also did www.allscapenc.com
I may be a simpleton, but I'm seeing lots of words, but my eyes roll back into my head, before I can grasp the meaning
the first one wouldn't open up, when i cliced on this one it locked up and kicked me off of the net. Not sure why.

A good friend will bail you out of jail but a best friend will be sitting next to you saying dang that was fun..
Old 03-27-2014, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xener View Post

I tried to reply earlier from my phone. It froze up....

Thanks for the input. My friend isn't a Web designer. He said it only took a short time using some template.

I agree with the 4 second, 30 second rule. I know that's how I respond.

My friend also said that people want to see pretty pictures of what their property could look like, and not"action" pics of you crew and equipment. Idk...

I've also heard that you should tell them why your service is different. If your lawn looks like the picture. The companies aren't so different.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

If I were a customer, I wouldn't read those little boxes he has on the homepage. Took too long to get to what I would be looking for. Just my 2 cents. Where are his services? I only seen a home page and a contact page.
2014 2 Stihl Trimmers
2014 1 Stihl Backpack Blowers
*On call Bobcat 763 Skid Loader
*On call International 5 yrd. dump
2014 8'x20' Enclosed
2000 8'x12' Utility
2013 7.5'x16' Dump
2014 7'x16' Flatbed
1991 Chevy 2500 Reg Cab LB
2006 Ford F350 Reg Cab LB
Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

He's still working on it. i.e. no services yet.

As I see different companies advertising and company names, etc. I always see so much wrong. What about "Avondale Parrish" as a name for a company that will (may) be doing commercial lawn and landscape services.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyVette View Post
He's still working on it. i.e. no services yet.

As I see different companies advertising and company names, etc. I always see so much wrong. What about "Avondale Parrish" as a name for a company that will (may) be doing commercial lawn and landscape services.
I generally encourage people to take a business name and a domain name that is easy for people to connect with and remember. This generally means that the name 1) doesn't have any complicated spelling, 2) isn't too long, and 3) reflects what their business is/does. I wouldn't necessarily associated "Avondale Parrish" with landscaping and "Parrish" can easily be spelled with one or two "r's". If Avondale and Parrish are two city names in the area that you're servicing and are already well known, then you might be ok with something like "Avondale Parrish Landscaping" (or something similar).
Old 03-30-2014, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Parrish also sounds Catholic, since that's what they call the neighborhood and church, that it serves.
Actually, there are very few things that you could say without offending someone.