Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-27-2014, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, it's not the customers fault if you have inferior equipment.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-27-2014, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I agree, but like I said there good friends (very good) and they want to hire me, and at this point iv got the time to deal with lower grade equipment, fast forward 4 years, and I'll be doing it with a 72 turf tiger (hopefully) anyway, thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2014, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Do the 125$ and learn I'm encouraged to hear about young guys like yourself. Give them your best just like they were paying you 500$
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2014, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnnut View Post
Do the 125$ and learn I'm encouraged to hear about young guys like yourself. Give them your best just like they were paying you 500$
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes sir!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2014, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderhoff Landscaping View Post
I noticed that he was 14 after commenting. With that said, it wouldn't hurt to begin having this kind of thought process when giving estimates etc. That is if he does decide to go at this full time when he becomes of legal age to be a legit operation. By the time he's 18 and out of school he will already have a head start than most of us did at his age. And if that is the route he ultimately takes then god bless him and I hope he's very successful!
Posted via Mobile Device

sure, I'm just saying theres nothing wrong with him charging low and maybe not recovering all his time properly….got to learn a little at the time, and his customers aren't going to pay him what they pay you.

If he charges what you charge, per hour, there is no way he could do it as fast as you…as so he would actually cost MORE than you…. it all doesn't math out.

I personally think $150 is high for a teenager and a lawn tractor but hey, if the guy pays that…great!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:09 AM
Sponsor

I had a few friends/family pay a premium ( or a little higher than what they could get it with a bigger company) because they knew me etc. Sometimes its not about money, and the extra little bit is worth it to have someone they trust and know doing it. Even if it takes him an extra hour or so, he needs to charge for it. Get the higher price if you can, and then as you grow you can drop their price as it gets easier for you (with better equipment), and a perk for them helping you out in the beginning. Get em down to $130 next year, $125 after that, etc. to get them where they really "should be."

Hell if the year goes well and you pick up a better mower mid season, drop em a little as soon as you become more efficient.
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC
Old 03-28-2014, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Locqus charges his parents! I just remembered that from one of these threads here. That's hardcore.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 03-28-2014, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locqus View Post
I had a few friends/family pay a premium ( or a little higher than what they could get it with a bigger company) because they knew me etc. Sometimes its not about money, and the extra little bit is worth it to have someone they trust and know doing it. Even if it takes him an extra hour or so, he needs to charge for it. Get the higher price if you can, and then as you grow you can drop their price as it gets easier for you (with better equipment), and a perk for them helping you out in the beginning. Get em down to $130 next year, $125 after that, etc. to get them where they really "should be."

Hell if the year goes well and you pick up a better mower mid season, drop em a little as soon as you become more efficient.
Yes sir, thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Sponsor

^^Ha. Yes! I do actually, they live in freaking South Lyon and every weekend I grab the truck every Sunday morning and drive the hour with a rig that gets 5mpg to cut their 3 acres lol. $60 bucks a cut, I do not make much, if anything. The free patio I am putting in for them will even out the cut charges too lol. Charge em all!!
Office: 800-647-1951
Locqus - Free Field Service Management
Proud owner of Shamrock Landscaping LLC

Last edited by Locqus; 03-28-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locqus View Post
^^Ha. Yes! I do actually, they live in freaking South Lyon and every weekend I grab the truck every Sunday morning and drive the hour with a rig that gets 5mpg to cut their 3 acres lol. $60 bucks a cut, I do not make much, if anything. The free patio I am putting in for them will even out the cut charges too lol.
Buy Pops a lawn tractor. I think you'll save money that way. My dad loves his tractor. Mowing grass at 1.3 mph. Thrilling.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds