Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2014, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Update:

Many of you guys know, I started out this year in business full time. Started with a few neighborhood lawns, 15,000 flyers, some very professional HTML professional built Craigslist Ads, and several thousand business cards, and a couple hundred dollars in gas stopping and talking to every single person I see outside their house. Here it is March 29, 2014. I started advertising in mid February and now sitting at 39 full time customers with many I call "side timers" and "side job" customers. After 20 something customers I decided I was going to have to use a program and signed up for jobber. I would like to thank everyone for all the dumb questions I ask. As I mentioned in an earlier post, this whole first year is a learning experience for me. I never thought I would be nearing 40 clients and still getting calls in my first year and I would like to give a big thanks to everyone for having the patience to deal with my stupid questions!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well done, sir. Looks like you got the sales/marketing side down. Now work on the other side of the biz and perfect that.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 04-01-2014, 11:14 AM
Sponsor

Congrats on the great start for your first year full time. I hope you keep updating us with your progress over the summer. I know I will be following your threads.

-Landen

Watch our 14 minute Quick Tour Video

Email: info@getjobber.com
Web: www.getjobber.com
Toll Free: 1-888-721-1115
Twitter: @GetJobber | Jobber on Facebook

Old 04-01-2014, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good job!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can I be the Debbie Downer? Out of 15,000 flyers and all the other advertising, all you got was 39 customers? Lets say you got all of them from only flyers, your return was around .25%. Have you tracked to see how the customers heard about you and what advertising works best?

For the first year thats great. Making money is always good! I guess I'm just confused that with all the eoffort you got minimal results.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmonkey0311 View Post
Can I be the Debbie Downer? Out of 15,000 flyers and all the other advertising, all you got was 39 customers? Lets say you got all of them from only flyers, your return was around .25%. Have you tracked to see how the customers heard about you and what advertising works best?

For the first year thats great. Making money is always good! I guess I'm just confused that with all the eoffort you got minimal results.

Grass Monkey, sorry I've been so busy and forgot to check back with this post. But to follow up and answer to your questions. My first year as a solo operator, I feel that I'm limited to how much work I can do without hiring help. I honestly don't want to hire help, at least until next year. I'd prefer to keep a max load this year by myself and build my business before even thinking about help. As far as my results, the flyers were a great investment. However, I didn't have help to pass them out. Not to mention I had way too much work going on to get them out like I wanted. I still have (3) boxes with 3,000 flyers in each one (9,000) flyers sitting in my home office. I will continue to pass out a few throughout the year, the rest will be saved for next year! I'm pretty booked this year Monday through Saturday and I've been doing a lot of Tree Trimming on Sunday. Hope that clears up your questions!
Old 04-02-2014, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Grass Monkey, sorry I've been so busy and forgot to check back with this post. But to follow up and answer to your questions. My first year as a solo operator, I feel that I'm limited to how much work I can do without hiring help. I honestly don't want to hire help, at least until next year. I'd prefer to keep a max load this year by myself and build my business before even thinking about help. As far as my results, the flyers were a great investment. However, I didn't have help to pass them out. Not to mention I had way too much work going on to get them out like I wanted. I still have (3) boxes with 3,000 flyers in each one (9,000) flyers sitting in my home office. I will continue to pass out a few throughout the year, the rest will be saved for next year! I'm pretty booked this year Monday through Saturday and I've been doing a lot of Tree Trimming on Sunday. Hope that clears up your questions!
Congrats I also launched Jan 1 2014 and I'm sitting at 29 regular customers. I passed out a 1000 door hangers and got minimal return. Nearly all of mine I got by putting on a button up shirt, slacks and a lot of walking in business and door knocking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2014, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Awesome congratulations to you too bro! I'm glad to hear things are going good your way also. As far as dressing, I haven't went out one day without a polo on. I pass out flyers in polo's, answer the phone in work polo's, and work in work polo's. I actually got these vented ones and they are actually awesome at keeping you cool. Funny thing is I seen two guys walking in a shorts and t-shirts doing flyers the same day I was. Long story short, they obviously got the job. Today I was doing a lawn in a new sub division, they were next door doing one. They finished up right when I did. (I'm solo.) They started pulling off while I was loading my equipment. Guy comes outside cussing asking wtf happen to his lawn, and if he would have knew that, he wouldn't have hired it. He asked me how much to "fix" their lawn. He went for the cheaper price long story short.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Cmo, by the way, did you get all your responses from Flyers? I did Craigslist (Internet Marketing) with a really professional ad and winded up with some good customers off there. Many were customers I winded up eliminating from schedule because the calls were really spread out compared to Flyers. However, I learned to advertise by "area" on Craigslist just as you would with Flyers.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PicturePerfectLawns View Post
Cmo, by the way, did you get all your responses from Flyers? I did Craigslist (Internet Marketing) with a really professional ad and winded up with some good customers off there. Many were customers I winded up eliminating from schedule because the calls were really spread out compared to Flyers. However, I learned to advertise by "area" on Craigslist just as you would with Flyers.
No I got one call from my door hangers I think I put those out to early. I got all my customers from walking in business and networking.
Posted via Mobile Device