Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-29-2014, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Before I started cutting lawns I use to drive around with a stump grinder everyday and knock on doors when I came across a stump. I would walk up to the door and say I have done a few stumps in your area and I would ask them if they where interested. I would not shy away from anyone and made eye contact. Within the first minute I could get a feeling if they where interested. I use to remember for every 3 houses or let's say 1 out of 3 I would get a job.

When I got into lawns it was a different story. I handed out flyers what a joke. I knocked on doors still a joke. Best advertising is word of mouth oh ya and advertising in phone book joke.

If they don't know you and they never heard of you good luck. Now if they heard of you or someone recommended you then your half way in the door already.

I also stay humble , don't talk like your the best ever and price right, do a good job and your fine.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had stumbled upon this thread once or twice before....

There is 100%, absolutely, positively, NOTHING wrong with knocking on doors...

I love the guys that immediately post things like "Well, of course people will hate you, they don't want to be bothered!"

Well, guess what? For every 4 people that slam the door on me, 4 people will talk to me. And even if I am not making a sale, I am introducing myself and telling folks a little about my business.

I have done some limited door to door marketing in neighborhoods that I was trying to infiltrate and it has worked out great.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with knocking on the door also. Yes I had more then enough doors closed on me but you know what after awhile I did not even care. I would knock on doors all day and after awhile you even laugh at some people. When I was knocking on doors all over southern Ontario I kid you not I had some strange experiences because you meet all types.

If I go out next week I will knock on any door as long as I don't see toys or play sets (hint) young parents I don't want to waste my time.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This kind of goes hand in hand with this thread any maybe you will find some something useful from it. With that said, my parents still live in the same neighborhood that I grew up in. When I was a kid say from around age 8 until I was well into college, I would knock on doors during snow storms asking if people were interested in having their property snowblowed. I would get everyone on a rotation and continually hit up everyone's property until the storm stopped. My parents always said I hustled to make a buck, and I was good at it if I do say so myself. With that said, there seems to be a total change in the mindset of young individuals today. With the crazy snow we've had on the East Coast this year, not a single person had knocked on my parent's door to ask if they were interested in having their property snowblowed. The same goes for landscaping services in the summer. My parents both said that even in the summer kids are rarely seen playing outside like we (friends and I) used to do when we were young. My parents said they would be happy to help some kid trying to make a buck despite them being able to take care of their own property. The mindset of people has totally changed. It's a shame when you really think about it.

Doug
Old 03-30-2014, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglee25 View Post
This kind of goes hand in hand with this thread any maybe you will find some something useful from it. With that said, my parents still live in the same neighborhood that I grew up in. When I was a kid say from around age 8 until I was well into college, I would knock on doors during snow storms asking if people were interested in having their property snowblowed. I would get everyone on a rotation and continually hit up everyone's property until the storm stopped. My parents always said I hustled to make a buck, and I was good at it if I do say so myself. With that said, there seems to be a total change in the mindset of young individuals today. With the crazy snow we've had on the East Coast this year, not a single person had knocked on my parent's door to ask if they were interested in having their property snowblowed. The same goes for landscaping services in the summer. My parents both said that even in the summer kids are rarely seen playing outside like we (friends and I) used to do when we were young. My parents said they would be happy to help some kid trying to make a buck despite them being able to take care of their own property. The mindset of people has totally changed. It's a shame when you really think about it.

Doug
Parents are too scared to let their kids play outside. When I was a kid we just needed to be back by dinner.

Yes, parents today are stupid. There are the same amount of psycho's out there today as there was when we were kids.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds