Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

While having iron in the water won't necessarily harm your turf and in some cases may be beneficial, there is such a thing as too much iron. Overwatering with iron-rich water can gradually cause a build-up of iron that may begin to damage the plant itself. As you continue to apply more iron to the soil by overwatering, the iron content may increase past the point that water-soluble iron may start building up in the plant materials. Over time this can cause toxicity that can wilt, brown or even kill the plant.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by turfmd101; 03-19-2014 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys I raked off as much of the moss as I could and incorporated the lime into the first few inches of soil with a hand tiller it wasn't very fun but figured it would help it disperse better. As for the seeding I plan on slice seeding and I am wondering as to when I should the ground has defrosted for at least the first two feet here and we just got about four inches of rain last night. This week the temps are supposed to be in the mid to high 50's with lows in the mid 30's. I want to try and get it down as soon as possible to get it established before we really heat up in early to mid june but I don't want to put it down early and have it get killed off, any advise you guys have is really appreciated I am learning a lot already!
Old 03-30-2014, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I also don't know if its to hard to tell from this picture but does this section of lawn appear to be mostly crabgrass?
Attached Images

Old 03-30-2014, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Grant -- I think you should wait a couple weeks to seed (MA). Have you checked out the extended forecast? Looks like colder than normal temps coming. I think April 15 - 25 would be a better time frame. Shade areas could even be seeded later??

We do most of our seeding in the fall, but we have some to do this spring. We like to do our spring seedings in mid to late April. That's when farmers start planting corn. Seeding too early in cold ground can reduce germination.

Photo = crabgrass? Not sure. If it's crabgrass/foxtail, it's easy to tell. If it pulls up by the roots easily, it's an annual grassy weed.

What's everybody else think? Am I smokin' crack, or do you think along the same lines??
Old 03-30-2014, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help americanlawn ill wait a few more weeks before seeding, there is some more land that I would like to get cleared out first so this will give me more time! And ill check tomorrow to see how easily it pulls out of the ground
Old 03-30-2014, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

ya thats crab grass i live in MA too. The crabgrass is all the grass that looks dead.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks GVL Should I till all of that into the ground before seeding or will it be okay since I am slice seeding? There is a fairly large area of the lawn covered with that I would guess about 5000 square feet
Old 03-31-2014, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure those are annual grassy weeds (do the test). No matter. Concern I have with drill seeding/slit seeding is inserting seed into soil that may not be conducive with seed germination. Kinda like planting a garden. Soil preparation is crucial. Lots of guys "insert" seed into poor soil conditions cuz they just want the income and don't really care about the results (germination/survival rate).>> think about it. Just like planting a garden. I say do it right in the first place so you don't have to monkey with it again. my 2 cents
Old 03-31-2014, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant1994 View Post
Thanks GVL Should I till all of that into the ground before seeding or will it be okay since I am slice seeding? There is a fairly large area of the lawn covered with that I would guess about 5000 square feet
I would run a power thatch on it I mean run it low rip all that crab grass out a rake it up get rid of it then slice it
Old 04-01-2014, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Member

I went out to see today and all of that dead grass pulled up like it wasn't even rooted into the ground so I am assuming that its all crabgrass. So like snyder said I am going to run a power rake over all of it and really dig down in those areas and then see if i need to till up the areas where the crabgrass was before slit seeding.