Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-30-2014, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Pros-Cons

If any of you have a Exmark Commercial 30 or a Stihl FS 94 could you tell me to Pros or Cons. I'd like to get them this year but didn't know if I wound have problems.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

exmark 30 is awsome only con is it is a little heavybut over time you get use to it.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:58 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark 30 is a good mower. It can be a little under powered at times, especially with spring growth but overall a good mower. It has its place. On smaller lawns my guys still prefer a 21" mower and on larger lawns a 36". But for those good sized lawns in gated backyards it works like a charm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 02:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I love my Exmark 30. I got the Toro, but returned it before its first use. The single bail isn't as easy to use IMO. Its a replacement for 21's on regular lawns, and will have to double cut on high weeds and out of control properties. Just like any 21".
Pros- you don't turn as much on a property,
your cut width is wider, so you finish MUCH faster than with a 21'
it runs all day on a tank of fuel,
the bag is easy to dump,
the Cut Quality is amazing with sharp blades,
its a rear bagger instead of a side,
has side discharge abilities and the shoot is easy to swap,
the belts and spindles are WAY less expensive than a large walk behind,
the tires are wide enough so rutting isn't a problem,
you can drive it without the blades spinning,
it looks badass,
the deck sticks out about 3" beyond the wheels so its easy to cut all the way up to the edge of flower beds without a wheel falling in,
Exmark overnights parts your dealer doesn't have and its balanced very well, just like using a heavy 21. The handle height is adjustable. I'm about 6'5 and at the highest setting its perfect

Cons- it was just under 2thousand bucks,
its harder to push up a ramp into a truck,(don't notice it in the trailer)
doesn't fit between the curb and Trees/mailboxes sometimes so there is a little extra trimming at times
It was almost 2thousand bucks
Takes up more space (if your working out of a truck)
You have to back off of the drive to make turns. I can't turn mine at full speed.
Being heavier, it may damage things a lighter 21" won't.
The deck.... Collects if your cutting tall or wet stuff.
There are no hills where I'm at, so I can't comment on the climbing/decending aspects of it.

Also, the front wheel adjustment isn't as hard as people on Youtube make it look.
Even though it out weighs a 21 by a lot, I never notice it in regular use. Its when I load it and unload it the weight comes in.
Overall, it has been one of my best purchases. I spend way less time mowing and the lawns look just as good. For heavy cleanups, this isn't your machine, but for regular maintenance accounts weekly/EOW its worth looking into. I haven't brought a 21" with me since I bought it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&L View Post
I love my Exmark 30. I got the Toro, but returned it before its first use. The single bail isn't as easy to use IMO. Its a replacement for 21's on regular lawns, and will have to double cut on high weeds and out of control properties. Just like any 21".
the bag is easy to dump,
it looks badass,
the deck sticks out about 3" beyond the wheels so its easy to cut all the way up to the edge of flower beds without a wheel falling in,
Exmark overnights parts your dealer doesn't have and its balanced very well, just like using a heavy 21. The handle height is adjustable. I'm about 6'5 and at the highest setting its perfect

doesn't fit between the curb and Trees/mailboxes sometimes so there is a little extra trimming at times
You have to back off of the drive to make turns. I can't turn mine at full speed.
There are no hills where I'm at, so I can't comment on the climbing/decending aspects of it.

Also, the front wheel adjustment isn't as hard as people on Youtube make it look.
Even though it out weighs a 21 by a lot, I never notice it in regular use. Its when I load it and unload it the weight comes in.
Overall, it has been one of my best purchases. I spend way less time mowing and the lawns look just as good. For heavy cleanups, this isn't your machine, but for regular maintenance accounts weekly/EOW its worth looking into. I haven't brought a 21" with me since I bought it.
Posted via Mobile Device

you for got to mention it's almost 2thousand bucks
Old 03-31-2014, 07:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Take a look through my posting about the exmark 30, its over 70 pages of info at this point....LOL. LOTS of info on there to scan through.

But I think the posters above pretty much hit the nail on the head.
The one con not mentioned is the recall they are doing on some of the 2013 models...mine is one of them and hopefully Ill be getting the work done later this week.

Oh., and here is another addition
pro: its cheaper than a 36 inch walk behind.
con: it wont replace what a 36 inch walk behind can do.

It is definitely a great time saver over a 21 inch mower, and I can use it in about 85 percent of the places I would use a 21. So from that, I guess you can say I can save time on 85 percent of the properties where a 21 would b used typically.
2013 Exmark Commercial 30
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts

2013 Stihl BR600 Backpack blower
Old 03-31-2014, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

the bag is easy to dump,
it looks badass,

Ok thanks I'd mainly only be using it for hills and gated backyards.It seems worth the 1800 bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbljack View Post
Take a look through my posting about the exmark 30, its over 70 pages of info at this point....LOL. LOTS of info on there to scan through.

But I think the posters above pretty much hit the nail on the head.
The one con not mentioned is the recall they are doing on some of the 2013 models...mine is one of them and hopefully Ill be getting the work done later this week.

Oh., and here is another addition
pro: its cheaper than a 36 inch walk behind.
con: it wont replace what a 36 inch walk behind can do.

It is definitely a great time saver over a 21 inch mower, and I can use it in about 85 percent of the places I would use a 21. So from that, I guess you can say I can save time on 85 percent of the properties where a 21 would b used typically.
BUT you can use a 36" walk behind in 80 percent of the place you would use a 21"… so how useful IS the 30" REALLY?
only to people who can't afford the 36, and/or don't want to train employees how to use one.

I Think if you have small lawns, and use a lot of cheap, untrained labor (high school/college kids) who are constantly leaving and you are constantly rehiring, a 30" is a no brainer…because it operates exactly like daddys lawn mower at home, there is no learning curve, but it's so much more productive.
By the time new guy has learned a 36" mower, he's left and is getting replaced by a newer guy, often your trained guy on the 36" is going to another company that pays more…so you have just spent time and money training the competitions helper.
That's where the 30" comes into play I think.

But if you are going to do this yourself,
Id buy a 36" belt drive before a 30"
Old 03-31-2014, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The Stihl FS 94 is new, so you may not get much input on that trimmer.

I asked about it at my dealer last month and he hadn't even gotten any at that point. I've seen a few people mention them, so maybe you'll get lucky.
I liked the ised of the adjustable throttle, but after reading more, I don't think it's a "cruise control" so much as a "limiter".

I think it's a little less powerful than the FS90R and about $40 more, so I just got another FS90R instead.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
BUT you can use a 36" walk behind in 80 percent of the place you would use a 21"… so how useful IS the 30" REALLY?
only to people who can't afford the 36, and/or don't want to train employees how to use one.

I Think if you have small lawns, and use a lot of cheap, untrained labor (high school/college kids) who are constantly leaving and you are constantly rehiring, a 30" is a no brainer…because it operates exactly like daddys lawn mower at home, there is no learning curve, but it's so much more productive.
By the time new guy has learned a 36" mower, he's left and is getting replaced by a newer guy, often your trained guy on the 36" is going to another company that pays more…so you have just spent time and money training the competitions helper.
That's where the 30" comes into play I think.

But if you are going to do this yourself,
Id buy a 36" belt drive before a 30"
Ya I would to but I don't have a truck I'm only a teenager. But if I did have a truck I would and second off I'm working by myself so I want something that is a lot lighter for me but bigger than a 21.
Stihl BR200
Stihl FS56RC
Stihl KM110R with trimmer and edger
Simpson 3000psi presser washer