Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-29-2014, 03:14 PM
LawnSite Member

questions on cat 300.9 and 301.4c

I am currently looking at buying a cat 300.9 it will be used for excavating for waterproofing houses in tight spaces between houses, backyards etc, I also have 1 or two underpin jobs on houses for it. I am going to get the scrubber for the exhaust for the indoor work. While I like the 301.4 it is just too big for 75% of the work I will be doing and am will have to rent for these jobs. My questions are as follows... will it be worth it to rent the bigger machine at 7-900 week for a 70 ft dig 3ft wide 5 ft deep or is it better to use the smaller unit I am buying? in soil conditions how many ft per day is a reasonable expectation for each machine, realising that clay will be slower/ sand quicker, the firm is currently using 2-3 men with shovels for this work I am wondering how much quicker the little machine will really be. I will be renting for the next few weeks to do a time management study to see how economically viable it is, but am anxious for input from others who may have experience with these machines. Currently most of my work is with wheel loaders and bobcats which I already own
Old 03-29-2014, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I will say that those little machines are very productive for their size. They are built by Wacker Neuson in Linz, Austria. I was at the factory last Spring. QC is very high, the factory is spotless, I ran some those machines briefly and they are well done in my opinion.

I think anytime that you can use your own machines for jobs that size you are better off. Even if it takes 20% longer with a smaller ex, which I doubt it would for such a small ex project, it is better than paying rent on a larger machine to gain such a small productivity edge. Certainly as the task becomes larger or deeper than you might have to rent something larger, but if your only going 5' deep, the 300.9 can do that.

I think one of the keys to productivity with an excavator is to put a coupler on it and get a variety of bucket options, beyond the standard dig buckets, but also larger clean out buckets. Matching the bucket to the project makes a big difference in productivity.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Shane. I would not spend the money on rental, I would us the one you own. Unless you are getting up to a job where a 35-50 sized machine could be used for multiple days or need the depth of a larger machine. I know we have did some projects with our Taki TB145 that could have been for a 120-160 size hoe, but if it take a full day instead of a half day it isn't worth the rental fee pickup, drop off etc… We just bought a Kobelco 135SR should be getting dropped off on Wed. - Thurs. this week finally, but the 145 has did a lot of jobs where a larger one would have been more convenient.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bought a tb016 with exactly 3 hours of experience operating excavators but i could tell it was going to do 90% of what i wanted it to, and that was enough. Like everyone said, unless you're doing massive excavation it will get the job done. Just slower. Although 10x faster than guys with shovels
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2014, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking at Cat 301 and couldnt find anything for reasonable price ,I ended get a kubota u 17 and love it .check them out
Old 03-30-2014, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmaster06 View Post
I was looking at Cat 301 and couldnt find anything for reasonable price ,I ended get a kubota u 17 and love it .check them out
Thanks for the replies guys, I checked out the u17 but it is too big for my needs, most if what I will be doing is in very tight spaces between houses and the 28 inch width of the cat is what I need. Hearing that is much faster than guys with shovels is encouraging, just the mc being so small has me thinking how much quicker can I be than the two twenty somethings that are currently doing the work.the magic number for me to make money sense with the mc is twice the speed of the two lads. The advice on not renting is well taken
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It also wont get tired, call in sick, or cancel due to rain.
Posted via Mobile Device