Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2014, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Herbicide & fertilizer question

4 years ago I got an opportunity to take over an existing mowing contract from a guy who had to stop, for a 66 unit condo. Last year I lost my full time job and decided this may be the time to go full time and expand. Spent fall and winter studying and getting my PCO license as well as looking at this site for education and advice. I have an opportunity to bid on the weed control and fertilizer business for a couple of new properties. I have a 60" Exmark zero turn, 48" walk behind, Stihl trimmers and blowers, so pretty good mowing equipment.
I have a 25 gal. Brinley tank sprayer with a 48" boom and hand sprayer attachment. I realize this is not "big guy" equipment, but it's what I can afford right now. My question is this:

The properties I'm looking at are all around 4-5 acres. Is there a quality liquid pre emergent and fertilizer that I can use with the equipment I have? From what I've seen granular seems to be, for the most part a better product, especially for the pre emergent. I know the equipment is small but the properties are too. If absolutely necessary I could buy a tow behind granular spreader, but I'm on a shoe string budget right now.

Can I do a quality job with the equipment I have or am I out of my league?
Old 03-30-2014, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Liquid Fert? I'm not familiar but think most guys will apply liquid Fert at 1-2 gallons per k. So you will be filling your 25 gallon sprayer a ton!!

Might do low volume weed control and granular Fert. Make sure everything is calibrated and go from there.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Granular fert would be much better and cheaper. Liquid pre emergent is the way to go as well. You need water to get it into the soil. They do sell it in liquid form but you mix it with water in a WG form anyway. One thing you need is on the WG side of pre emergent is a screen to pre dissolve it before agitation.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You need a front-mounted electric spreader. This business requires equipment.

http://jrcoinc.com/commercial-attach...-turns/#images

Maybe (if you get the job) you could rent the tow-behind spreader--tricky--can't back up; spills and errors more likely. Apply a fert and crab control product.

Are you quick and mechanically inclined? Perhaps you can invent a pull-behind hitch for your Lesco spreader.
Its difficult to operate the on/off from the driver's seat. Or...you can pull it backwards (keeping in mind the impeller will spin backwards--you have to reverse the axle to get to spin correctly).
Old 03-30-2014, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
You need a front-mounted electric spreader. This business requires equipment.

http://jrcoinc.com/commercial-attach...-turns/#images

Maybe (if you get the job) you could rent the tow-behind spreader--tricky--can't back up; spills and errors more likely. Apply a fert and crab control product.

Are you quick and mechanically inclined? Perhaps you can invent a pull-behind hitch for your Lesco spreader.
Its difficult to operate the on/off from the driver's seat. Or...you can pull it backwards (keeping in mind the impeller will spin backwards--you have to reverse the axle to get to spin correctly).
This front mounted spreader is what I use at the University I work for, they're great, I just ordered another one for our Spring apps of fert..
Old 03-31-2014, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. Another question. I know I need to post signage (5" x 4") when I do a lawn treatment. Any idea where you get those signs. My local printer has no idea.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

there are a few sponsors here that do a good job blackberm (sp?) and R and d signs I think. I just got mine done again and ordered 2000 of them so I'm good for about three or four years.

Push comes to shove the stakes make a hell of a back scratcher in a pinch.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragman55 View Post
Thanks for the input. Another question. I know I need to post signage (5" x 4") when I do a lawn treatment. Any idea where you get those signs. My local printer has no idea.
Not all states require them. So you might check the sign companies. I still do it as a courtesy to show the customer we have been and to add a little advertising to the mix.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

It's required in Ohio. They need to be 5"x4" and stand 14" tall. I see them all over but can't find a source for them.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Member

R and D signs dose mine. Talk with Deb Moliter. One good thing about them is you can buy only 1000 at a time. many companys make you buy much more and with you just starting out the less the better. I Just made another purchase with them. $252.00 plus ship. Mine are 4 color logo not sure if it cost more for that many,(usually does for everything else).
That includes the signs and stakes. They dont charge separately.