Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-26-2014, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

SPEC-BSO5-R. Serial-FS481VA17672
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2014, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Both of these Service Bulletins pertain to your Model, Spec., and Serial range...

I would recommend you start with the ENG 13-06 Bulletin and see if that may be the cause for your problem. Usually, the problem has been more on the #1 Cylinder/Manifold gasket that I have seen. Most of the time it is visible that the gasket is sucked into the intake port.
An easy way to test if the gasket(s) are leaking is to run the engine and spray starter fluid on the gasket joint and see if there is a change in engine speeds. Just be careful as the muffler is right there!

I know you said you checked the valves and they were fine, but here is a Bulletin that also pertains to your Model, Spec., and Serial. The issue here is that the rocker arms were not heat treated correctly and would wear or break in the pushrod pocket area. You might also check to see if you have the "dots" on your cylinder heads to see if the kit(s) have been installed. See the last picture in the Bulletin.

Both of the above can cause erratic issues such as running lean on one cylinder with a failed gasket to the "popping" from the valves being out of spec. from a worn or failed rocker arm.

Just a couple ideas for you to look into!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf ENG 11-03 Rocker Arm Change.pdf (143.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: pdf ENG 13-06 Intake Manifold Gasket.pdf (215.3 KB, 28 views)

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!
Old 03-26-2014, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

like mentioned , intake gasket on the rgt side, I had one acted the same way
Old 03-26-2014, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you so much for the help, I appreciate it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2014, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in AL View Post
Both of these Service Bulletins pertain to your Model, Spec., and Serial range...

I would recommend you start with the ENG 13-06 Bulletin and see if that may be the cause for your problem. Usually, the problem has been more on the #1 Cylinder/Manifold gasket that I have seen. Most of the time it is visible that the gasket is sucked into the intake port.
An easy way to test if the gasket(s) are leaking is to run the engine and spray starter fluid on the gasket joint and see if there is a change in engine speeds. Just be careful as the muffler is right there!

I know you said you checked the valves and they were fine, but here is a Bulletin that also pertains to your Model, Spec., and Serial. The issue here is that the rocker arms were not heat treated correctly and would wear or break in the pushrod pocket area. You might also check to see if you have the "dots" on your cylinder heads to see if the kit(s) have been installed. See the last picture in the Bulletin.

Both of the above can cause erratic issues such as running lean on one cylinder with a failed gasket to the "popping" from the valves being out of spec. from a worn or failed rocker arm.

Just a couple ideas for you to look into!
It looks like the intake gasket on the right side is sucked inward. I sprayed starting fluid on it while running and the engine RPMs increased slightly. Where is the best place to order the new intake gaskets? Partstree? Is there a special replacement gasket part number?

PEOPLE LOOK FOR ANSWERS FROM A MAN THAT CAN ONLY BE GIVEN FROM GOD.

KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH (JESUS) WILL SET YOU FREE!
Old 03-30-2014, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I see the parts number for the gaskets in the diagrams you sent me. I really appreciate the help from you guys, should be a quick cheap fix!

PEOPLE LOOK FOR ANSWERS FROM A MAN THAT CAN ONLY BE GIVEN FROM GOD.

KNOW THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH (JESUS) WILL SET YOU FREE!
Old 03-31-2014, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybow View Post
It looks like the intake gasket on the right side is sucked inward. I sprayed starting fluid on it while running and the engine RPMs increased slightly. Where is the best place to order the new intake gaskets? Partstree? Is there a special replacement gasket part number?
Any Kawasaki Dealer should have them, or at worst, can order them for you.
Gasket part number is 11061-0877.

Should be an easy straight forward fix to get ya goin again... Be sure to torque the bolts in the pattern shown when you reassemble!

How very observant of you there captain obvious.

The amount of FREE information that you receive here will be directly proportional to the amount of information that you provide!