Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2014, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

1st year Pathfinder XC Spyker Settings for 15-0-3 w/ Prodiamine

I know this is a long shot seeing if anyone else has a recommendation for a setting for this machine so I can figure where to start for the calibration. I'm thinking around 40-45 on the spyker.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know of the pan test... not reliable...I have 4 acres of yard I can try it on .... Prills are small and they worry me about using them on my customers... I use it on my own property to get it right...
Old 03-27-2014, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You know how many sqft you cover in one minute. (You have determined that sqft figure outdoors with the hopper empty, right?) Should be about 4000. Maybe 5000 or 5500.

Its not easy. Park in your garage. Add a weighed amount of your fert/prodiamine--for instance 20 pounds.
Make a guess on the setting. In neutral, full speed, open up and let her spread for 60 seconds. Sweep up the mess and weigh it and you will know how much comes out in one minute. If its 16 pounds per minute you are applying 4 pounds per thousand, (if you are covering 4000 sqft per minute). Adjust up or down and repeat--until correct and consistent.

Feel free to use 15 seconds and multiply to find pounds per minute. Feel free to catch the output by placing a box in front of the impeller--or make it easy by removing the impeller. Maybe even do the first test with the motor off--just find out your output per minute in pounds. Shake the hopper to simulate the agitator and wheels hitting small bumps.

Verify your setting on a large lawn by adding a full bag (50 pounds), and spreading on a large rectangular area. Carefully measure the area the bag covered with a measuring wheel. Adjust spreader setting up or down.

And--let us know what you come up with--OK?
Keep it secret if you must--after all you did the work, and your competitors don't need to know.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 03-27-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: addwd
Old 03-30-2014, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
You know how many sqft you cover in one minute. (You have determined that sqft figure outdoors with the hopper empty, right?) Should be about 4000. Maybe 5000 or 5500.

Its not easy. Park in your garage. Add a weighed amount of your fert/prodiamine--for instance 20 pounds.
Make a guess on the setting. In neutral, full speed, open up and let her spread for 60 seconds. Sweep up the mess and weigh it and you will know how much comes out in one minute. If its 16 pounds per minute you are applying 4 pounds per thousand, (if you are covering 4000 sqft per minute). Adjust up or down and repeat--until correct and consistent.

Feel free to use 15 seconds and multiply to find pounds per minute. Feel free to catch the output by placing a box in front of the impeller--or make it easy by removing the impeller. Maybe even do the first test with the motor off--just find out your output per minute in pounds. Shake the hopper to simulate the agitator and wheels hitting small bumps.

Verify your setting on a large lawn by adding a full bag (50 pounds), and spreading on a large rectangular area. Carefully measure the area the bag covered with a measuring wheel. Adjust spreader setting up or down.

And--let us know what you come up with--OK?
Keep it secret if you must--after all you did the work, and your competitors don't need to know.
Riggle, You know what your talking about!!! You and a couple other guys on here if in 10 years I know 1/2 what you guys do I think I'll be pretty well off. I'm not worried about competition around here with the settings.. They all run permagreen magnums. With the 15-0-3 with prodiamine i'm getting right around 3#/1,000k at the 3.5 setting and on the other part of my yard I bumped the setting up to 4.25 and was getting slightly below 4#/1,000k. I wish I knew how to measure the prill size. I guess I'll be doing a split app on my lawn this year... Thanks again!!!
Old 03-30-2014, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am happy to help someone who wants to get it right. You are already better than rue green and a lot of ordinary companies. Within 10 percent is good. Try to apply between 100 and 110 percent of the label rate. The fertilizer company should list the prill size on the bag or website--if not--ask the salesman.
The prill size SGN is the average granule diameter in millimeters multiplied by one-hundred--250 SGN, means 2.50 millimeters.

http://buckeyeturf.osu.edu/index.php...ews&Itemid=170

How did you measure your output on your lawn when you got slightly below 4 pounds per thousand? Remember you have to keep a consistent speed and the same swath width every time, (as much as possible). It is best to measure the tracks left by your Pathfinder so you know your swath width measured center to center.
In fact, for your calibration run, it is better to mark the swaths out in advance measured with a steel tape--say exactly 10 feet center to center measurement. Then spread the fert. Weigh and calculate.

Unfortunately, this is not exact science. The pattern may not be even left to right; feathering the edges is not exact. Your machine will travel a bit slower in tall grass or uphill. High humidity can affect the flow rate of fertilizer granules.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 03-30-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-31-2014, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Cant you call brice at gound logic to get this information
Old 03-31-2014, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishstuey81 View Post
Cant you call brice at gound logic to get this information
I called Brice last week and he told me about where to start. Like Riggle said its not an exact science.. The company that I worked for the past few years the calibrating was done on customers yards... I don't want that with my new company. I'm wanting to do it the correct way.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I am happy to help someone who wants to get it right. You are already better than rue green and a lot of ordinary companies. Within 10 percent is good. Try to apply between 100 and 110 percent of the label rate. The fertilizer company should list the prill size on the bag or website--if not--ask the salesman.
The prill size SGN is the average granule diameter in millimeters multiplied by one-hundred--250 SGN, means 2.50 millimeters.

http://buckeyeturf.osu.edu/index.php...ews&Itemid=170

How did you measure your output on your lawn when you got slightly below 4 pounds per thousand? Remember you have to keep a consistent speed and the same swath width every time, (as much as possible). It is best to measure the tracks left by your Pathfinder so you know your swath width measured center to center.
In fact, for your calibration run, it is better to mark the swaths out in advance measured with a steel tape--say exactly 10 feet center to center measurement. Then spread the fert. Weigh and calculate.

Unfortunately, this is not exact science. The pattern may not be even left to right; feathering the edges is not exact. Your machine will travel a bit slower in tall grass or uphill. High humidity can affect the flow rate of fertilizer granules.
Luckily the one side of my yard is fairly flat and rectangular. I measured out 10k. put 50# in the hopper and spread it on the 10k and sucked the remaining into a shop vac and weighed it. I adjusted the setting higher,then put the remaining back in the hopper and spread the rest and then measured the area I covered. My other side of the yard is a bit more hilly so when this new snow melts off I will see about the difference a slope makes. Thanks again for the help!!!
Old 03-31-2014, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Makes sense. I'd hope their numbers are pretty close. I have my lawn and a couple others that I do real cheap for friends that I have measured out very well. I use those lawns to get my calibration down as good as i can.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good idea. Suck it out with a shop vac and weigh it subtracting from 50 to find the amount used.
Not sure--with a Permagreen you can tip it up on its nose to remove the remainder--then weigh. Feeling strong?