Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2014, 09:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turfmd101 View Post
The primary factors that inhibit Glyphosate.
1. pH base of the fill water. High pH water will degrade the AI. Neutral is best.
2. Mixing too heavy. Stay with the recommend rate.
3. Spraying to heavy. Do not soak spray.
4. Drought causes plants to shut down growth. This will hamper intake of the herbicide. If under drought conditions. Irrigate to increase herbicide mobility.
5. Spray lightly. Just enough to coat the leaf surface. Spraying to a drip will cause the plant to shut down. The plant will detect the overabundance of herbicide beyond the water and protect itself from what it detects is not the water.
6. Understanding how environmental sceneries effect how plants react to herbicides.
7. Always use a fresh herbicide mix.
8. RoundUp quick pro is the bomb.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm trying to understand 2,3,4,5 and 8
#2, stronger concentrations will kill better. That's why roundup for brush and ivy is a stronger concentration so I have to assume it's going to kill grass and weeds better
#3, the direrctions tell us to spray the entire plant, underside too. I assume that could be called drenching or soaking.
#4, if a plant is in a drought condition, any water detected will be absorbed faster and better for the plant to survive. With chemical in the water, I have to assume the plant will absorb the chemical faster also and will die quicker.
#5, I'll go back to what I said in #3
#8, Roundup quick pro is a highly concentrated product designed to be mixed to lesser dilutions. How can that product be "the bomb" if you're diluting it to the correct dilution rate as you recommend in #2, making it no better that any over the counter premixed Roundup product?
Old 03-30-2014, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by capetrees View Post

#4, if a plant is in a drought condition, any water detected will be absorbed faster and better for the plant to survive. With chemical in the water, I have to assume the plant will absorb the chemical faster also and will die quicker.
In drought conditions, The stomata on the leaf has usually closed up as a protection against moisture loss through the leaf.

So when drought conditions are present, then not only is it protecting against moisture loss, but it won't absorb as much moisture through the leaf tissue.

When water or herbicide introduced in these conditions, the moisture doesn't stay on the leaf long enough to open the stomata.

Only when moisture is introduced through the root system can then the plant "relax" and uptake moisture through the leaf.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think that stomata have anything to do with uptake. The openings are too small. They mainly connect with leaf blade intercellular spaces which allow the exchange of gases (like air and CO2). The spray solution often dries within minutes. Stomata close at night--does anyone believe that herbicides used at night will be ineffective?
A phenoxy herbicide's main site of activity is the young apical meristem--the growing tip.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

#2. Woody stem ( brush, ivy) and soft stem ( monicot, dicot & sedges ) have different rates suggested for specific scientific reasons.
#3. Spraying too heavily ( mostly under drought conditions) will inhibit intake. The plant will detect the alien chemical and try to protect itself from the unknown. Just as in #5.
#4. Answered above.
#8. The diquat will give a faster visual effect. The rain fast time is 40 min or less depending on conditions. Roundup quick pro will stay active in your sprayer for up to 3 days after mixed. As a standalone product. The liquid concentrations will not give these benefits.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2014, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I don't think that stomata have anything to do with uptake. The openings are too small. They mainly connect with leaf blade intercellular spaces which allow the exchange of gases (like air and CO2). The spray solution often dries within minutes. Stomata close at night--does anyone believe that herbicides used at night will be ineffective?
A phenoxy herbicide's main site of activity is the young apical meristem--the growing tip.
Riggle, I believe it has more to do with ACTIVE GROWTH. Herbicides require active growth to be absorbed. Drought conditions as well as night time conditions are not active growth conditions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-30-2014, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Regardless if the Stomata is the actual culprit in the absorption process, it at least has some influence on the uptake of a herbicide in Drought conditions.

Between the stomata, cell membranes, etc.... if like stated above, if a plant isn't actively growing such in the case of self preservation during a drought, then the herbicide isn't going to effectively work. Uptake root or leaf surface wise, transpiration, etc...

In the case of the Stomata, if transpiration is minimized, nutrient uptake is minimized, and cell division is almost completely shut down, then it all is a major whammy against herbicide efficacy.

A couple of seasons ago, with our severe drought, glyphosate effectiveness was severely hampered on unwanted weeds.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The seminal research on herbicide uptake goes all the way back to MJ Buckovacís work in California in the 1960s. Herbicide uptake in plant foliage is mediated entirely by the physical properties of the plant cuticle and the water/herbicide mixture applied to the plant. Herbicides do not enter plants through stomata. This has been known for more than 50 years.

One of Charles McWhorterís conclusions from research in the 1980s is probably what is being misinterpreted here. He found that conditions producing hydrated plant cuticles improve the penetration of both oil-soluble and water-soluble herbicides. These same conditions are also those that favor stomatal opening and increased plant metabolic activity.

So, stomata have nothing to do with herbicide uptake, but the conditions that favor plant growth also produce cuticle conditions that favor herbicide penetration.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

So do we have a winner yet in our Lawnsite D$%k Measuring Contest?