Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-30-2014, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki FH580V HELP!!!

Hey guys,

New to the forums here and I need some help. I have searched the internet high and low to find my answer and cant seem to come to a conclusion. My engine is in a JD riding lawnmower and is bellowing out white smoke that puts a space shuttle lift off to shame. I have run several tests, so Im going to list them real quick:

Compression check - both in the 150psi range hot.

Leak Down check - both in the 20% range at TDC compression stroke.

Oil at proper level.

No gas smell in oil.

Adjusted valves to factory spec.

Was able to blow through the crankcase breather tube without issues.

With all of this, this is what Im seeing.....when I removed the valve covers, oil was pooled up in both of them. I even started the engine with the cover off to see where exactly the oil was coming from. Almost looks like the valve stem seals have gone out but it leaks bad. From what I have read, if this was the problem, it would only blow smoke during startup.

With this being a v-twin, I can see something going bad on one cylinder, but both? Its a 2005 with 320+ hours on it. The engine runs surprisingly well despite this. Just massive amounts of white smoke piling out of the exhaust. There was also a consistently oil soaked plug on one cylinder.

If anyone has had this problem or can help, I would be really grateful. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Is this a water cooled engine?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

No, this is an air cooled engine.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Darn....thought this was going to be an easy one. Can you tell what path is that 20% taking? I.e. Intake, exhaust or crankcase?
Old 03-30-2014, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, this one has me stumped. When I did the leak down, I had the dipstick loose and you could hear a little hissing through the tube. But Im guessing this is somewhat normal. I was on the compression stroke when I performed the test.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Member

White smoke from an air cooled engine is oil being burned. Stupid question...fresh gas, not premix? I'd say most common is blown head gasket. You said oiled pooled up in heads....is oil draining back down ok?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Its running straight gas, no ethanol. Everywhere I have read is saying that if the valve stem seals are going bad, the engine can suck the oil in the combustion chamber.
If the head gasket was blown, wouldn't there be residue or accumulation somewhere outside the head? Its clean all the way around. Also, all of the smoke is coming out the exhaust....nothing is leaking on the muffler or manifold. I have read that its possible the piston oil ring has given out but the compression rings are holding. But I don't see how both cylinders could have the exact same problem.
Old 03-31-2014, 03:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Souns like a broken piston oil ring and your problem goes away once the engine warms up and expands that ring a little. If so, be careful running it for testing as that ring can score your cylinder wall up until it heats up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by appalachianoutdoors View Post
Souns like a broken piston oil ring and your problem goes away once the engine warms up and expands that ring a little. If so, be careful running it for testing as that ring can score your cylinder wall up until it heats up.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's one thing I forgot to mention, the smoke continues throughout the run cycle. It doesn't taper off whether cold or hot. The engine passed the leak down and compression checks with flying colors. If there was a broken oil ring, wouldn't it blow massive amounts of air out of the dipstick during the leak down check?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

No it wouldnt blow massive amounts through the dipstick. But does sound like an oil ring issue. Unless you want to rebuild or replace motor,other options are replacing the machine itself. Only other thing is that there is too much oil and it is blowing past the piston on the down stroke and splashing up into the cylinder. If thats the case,drain the oil and replace with the proper amount