Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2014, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
I don't because Facebook requires you to create a personal page in order to create one for your business and I have no interest in that.
I have a business page with no personal account.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If you're going to set up a Page, here's my advice:

1. First, and foremost, understand what Likes are, how they function, and what impact they have on your posts.

2. Related to #1, under no circumstances should you go through the 300 pages of the General Green Industry Discussions sub-forum thread called "Let's get the FACEBOOK LIKES rolling..." and do what 99.5% of the participants are doing. It's counterproductive. It's silly. It's an utter waste of time. If you want to actually know why, I have written about it a mind-numbing number of times in there.

3. Understand the image sizes for the Cover Image and Profile Image. The Cover is the large image at the top of the Page. The Cover image is 851 x 315 pixels. If the image you use doesn't look good, in that space, go with another. The Profile Image is a square. Please, do not put a non-square picture in there. You must upload a photo that is at least 180 x 180 pixels, however it will be re-sized to 160 x 160. If you try to stick a rectangular image in there, such as your logo, it will look like hell.

4. Realize that "sharing" is one of the most powerful aspects of Facebook. Service businesses, such as mowing or lawn apps, are not inherently shareable. Landscaping installs, especially good ones, are. 10 pics a week of lawn stripes are not.

5. Revisit #2. It's named #2 for a reason...

(editorial time... I work with a lot of lawn care companies. I firmly believe Facebook, and Twitter, are a complete waste of time for the vast majority of Lawnsiters. Very few do it well. Even fewer see success from it. It is, however, something that's worth having, even if not utilized, simply for the link back to your web site. That bit of SEO value might be the best you can guarantee receiving from your FB experience, but it's free and does have that value.)
Old 04-01-2014, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Very well said Tony
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2014, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I've gotten 1 customer this year from facebook. I don't update it very frequently though.
32" Ferris Hydrocut
21" Honda HRX
50 Gallon Lesco sprayer
Old 04-01-2014, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

211 likes in a years time,and no potential clients.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-01-2014, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S Lawn ServiceLLC View Post
211 likes in a years time,and no potential clients.
Posted via Mobile Device
If you'd like some advice, continue on (I tend to not dance around ). If not, no sweat.

If you refer to my list (see above post), #3 and #4 apply to your Page. How does your profile pic convey professionalism or attention to detail? Your logo is the face of your company, which has been destroyed by being cropped in to a square. The cover photo is of your rig, and a brown-looking lawn. Put a cover pic in there that sells your company, or at least conveys what people view as an ideal lawn. And there are a couple of pics that probably have no business being on your business Page.

The editorialization, where I mention "very few do it well", applies as well. You really should reassess your posting style and audience engagement.

For example, "So what are your real thoughts about maintaining your own lawn? And GO!" is not engaging, or even interactive, enough. "Not gonna be long and we will be dropping the gate!" reads as straight filler, saying something to say something.

Keep in mind that, of your 211 Likes, it will only pass through the feeds of between 1 and 34 of those 211. And that doesn't guarantee those people will even see, or pay attention, to it.

With all that said, if your 211 Likes are legit, local service area people, you have something to work with. The big question is "What do you do to engage and interact with them?".

Last edited by tonygreek; 04-01-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The key for facebook IMO is shares and likes for your individual posts. When someone likes your posts it will show up in another persons feed and that person may not be someone you know or who likes your page.

Which is good...

I posted before and after's of a neighborhood entrance I maintain yesterday. I took pictures of everything before and then showed them what it looked like after the beds were cleaned out and grasses were cut back for the spring. I then said " beds are cleaned out, ready for new mulch, edging, and spring color!"

It took all of 5 minutes and its free.

Something else you may want to consider is "liking" other local companies and hopefully they do the same for you. I liked my local nurseries page and a guy who does irrigation and landscaping installs only. Im pretty much all mowing except for some landscape maintenance also. You can branch out with other companies and hopefully you can exchange business or referrals with them.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
If you'd like some advice, continue on (I tend to not dance around ). If not, no sweat.

If you refer to my list (see above post), #3 and #4 apply to your Page. How does your profile pic convey professionalism or attention to detail? Your logo is the face of your company, which has been destroyed by being cropped in to a square. The cover photo is of your rig, and a brown-looking lawn. Put a cover pic in there that sells your company, or at least conveys what people view as an ideal lawn. And there are a couple of pics that probably have no business being on your business Page.

The editorialization, where I mention "very few do it well", applies as well. You really should reassess your posting style and audience engagement.

For example, "So what are your real thoughts about maintaining your own lawn? And GO!" is not engaging, or even interactive, enough. "Not gonna be long and we will be dropping the gate!" reads as straight filler, saying something to say something.

Keep in mind that, of your 211 Likes, it will only pass through the feeds of between 1 and 34 of those 211. And that doesn't guarantee those people will even see, or pay attention, to it.

With all that said, if your 211 Likes are legit, local service area people, you have something to work with. The big question is "What do you do to engage and interact with them?".
I will apply your suggestions in upcoming weeks.
Thank you for the feedback.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2014, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I came across this the other day. Ironically on FB. Worth a watch…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ZqX...3WnsfA&index=1
and his follow up…
http://youtu.be/oVfHeWTKjag
Old 04-02-2014, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I came across this the other day. Ironically on FB. Worth a watch…
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9ZqX...3WnsfA&index=1
and his follow up…
http://youtu.be/oVfHeWTKjag
Geez. Talk about overanalyzing something...