Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewaTD View Post
I have been thinking of doing this as well. This will be my 2nd year in the business and I'm only 17. I was think about just using my business cards to pass out as I went door to door. Do you think that will be effective? How many houses would you hit?
Posted via Mobile Device
I printed off 10k flyers and will be going door-to-door and leaving them if no one answers. From what I have read online I expect to get ~100-200 calls and a .25-.5% (25-50 accounts) turn-over rate.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewaTD View Post
I have been thinking of doing this as well. This will be my 2nd year in the business and I'm only 17. I was think about just using my business cards to pass out as I went door to door. Do you think that will be effective? How many houses would you hit?
Posted via Mobile Device
Hand them out until you're sick and tired of handing them out...then go hand out some more
Old 03-19-2014, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperscrow View Post
Hand them out until you're sick and tired of handing them out...then go hand out some more
Is there a time that in the day that you feel is the most effective?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2014, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you're trying to talk to the homeowner then have to wait until the buses run or better yet go out on a Saturday when folks are home knowing there's yard work that needs to be done, but they aren't feeling like doing it!
Old 03-20-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

DIRECT MAIL!!! I can't believe no one is saying direct mail. You can spend more per prospect with the same overall cost, get a much higher conversion rate, and get way better customers. My dad used to sell radio for many years, and I've thankfully been able to learn a lot about marketing and sales from him.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExmarkBoy View Post
DIRECT MAIL!!! I can't believe no one is saying direct mail. You can spend more per prospect with the same overall cost, get a much higher conversion rate, and get way better customers. My dad used to sell radio for many years, and I've thankfully been able to learn a lot about marketing and sales from him.
Last year I sent out 7,600 direct mail adds to upper middle class type subs and new construction areas. My return rate was around .003% or about 30 calls. Cost was a little over $2500. I will not be doing direct mail again this year as I have had 30 phone calls from 3000 flyers that I put out and for 10% of the cost of direct mail.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloLawnCareL.L.C View Post
Last year I sent out 7,600 direct mail adds to upper middle class type subs and new construction areas. My return rate was around .003% or about 30 calls. Cost was a little over $2500. I will not be doing direct mail again this year as I have had 30 phone calls from 3000 flyers that I put out and for 10% of the cost of direct mail.
Part of the art of direct mail is the sales content. Not how slick it looks, but content. I'm lucky enough for my dad to be really good with direct mail (he used to sell radio), and I've had response rates of nearly 15%, though usually around 5%-8%.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExmarkBoy View Post
Part of the art of direct mail is the sales content. Not how slick it looks, but content. I'm lucky enough for my dad to be really good with direct mail (he used to sell radio), and I've had response rates of nearly 15%, though usually around 5%-8%.
15%? I consider 3% to be a very good return.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Be sure to have a great brochure to pass out or mail out. The main cost is the cost of delivery or passing them out. It costs just as much to pass out a poor quality brochure or flyer as it does to put out a good one. Don't walk 20 miles for 3 customers.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

I recommend paying company to design your adds. Remember... you are a landscaper not a professional graphic artist