Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2014, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

solo with full time job?

i am starting my lawn business this year i am solo and have a m-f job
i was wondering about when you mow? saturdays, evenings? i currently get home like 5:30 pm from my regular job
Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Fortunately for me, my full time job is Mon to Thurs 4 pm to 2:30 am, so I have time during the day and I'm off every Friday. I don't know if I'd be able to manage my current clients with a different schedule.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do it but I'm a school teacher so I'm off all summer. The Spring isn't bad because the heavy work load hasn't usually started yet. Fall SUCKS, especially doing leaves. The hours don't bother me so much in the Fall, but the stress of being back to school (yeah yeah I know) and getting things going again, and trying to mow and do leaves takes it's toll. The worst part is in the Fall, you get less daylight to work in after the normal workday. Otherwise, it's not a big deal. can make for some long days though. Trick is to not take on more than you can realistically do. Been there, done that. It's hard to turn down work, but sometimes you have to. Last year I took on WAY too much work. I was doing everything and anything, but I was in the process of being laid off from teaching so I thought I might be doing it full time. I was able to build a good customer base but I was stressed to the max.

Not sure where you're at, but snow is more profitable than grass. I love mowing, but the $ is with snow. Might want to look in to that for the future.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post
Fortunately for me, my full time job is Mon to Thurs 4 pm to 2:30 am, so I have time during the day and I'm off every Friday. I don't know if I'd be able to manage my current clients with a different schedule.
Good Lord, when do you sleep. Lol

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

Old 03-31-2014, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
Good Lord, when do you sleep. Lol
Good question. I'm in bed by 3:15 am, up at 11 am, leave for full time job at 3:15 pm. I try not to plan too much each day, but having Fridays off and also being able to get an early start on Mondays really helps. I don't think I could do this with a M to F 8 to 5 job.
Husqvarna 223L Trimmer
Husqvarna 326LS Trimmer
Husqvarna 580BTS Blower
Husqvarna BT150 Blower
Kawasaki KHDS600 Hedge Trimmer
Toro Multi-Tool
RedMax BM46i Backpack Sprayer
Carry On 5.5 x 10 Open Trailer
2004 Toyota Tacoma

The next time someone complains about your pricing, ask them how much their barber would charge to come over and cut their hair.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I work nights also so I can mow some before work when I need to. I'm off on Friday and Saturday so we schedule a lot on those days. My partner works shift work so he is able to do plenty on his days off too. Having two of us helps with scheduling, but most people will warm you not to be in a partnership.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate'sLawnCare View Post

Yeah, my schedule is similar to this, so the lawn care game lets me play during the day, and have my full time job in the evenings. For the guy asking about when to sleep, for me.....that would be from about 5 am till 10 or 11 am....and then back at it. Seriously! Typically, I do a long day of lawn care work on Friday, and then sometime after dinner, my body will just shut down and go into hibernate mode on the chair watching TV after dinner....LOL. Sleep is a crutch anyways.....entirely over rated.

I soon discovered that there isn't much "free time" any more. Even weekends are busy with catch up work, equipment maintenance, clean up, paperwork catch up, etc.
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator

Last edited by rbljack; 03-31-2014 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I started out I would take my equipment with me to work on a small enclosed trailer or in the back of my truck if it was just a push mower, trimmer and blower. I would knock out one or two lawns an evening M-F then and get as many done as I could Saturday leaving Sunday to either rest or catch up from any weather that may have happened.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

just finished updating my quickbooks online, checkbook, and putting together my reports for taxes this year.....UGGG. And what do ya know..its 5:01 AM......time to get a few hours sleep...LOL. There is your verification that Im serious. Get used to this type of effort if you want to maintain a full time job, AND do a lawn care business. I will soon be pulling 60 hours easy a week, and when we get some rain and warm weather combined, ill be up to around 80 hours or more a week.

If you think this is bad, you should see my "things to do" list for tomorrow...oh wait....that would be later today

good night....or good morning..whichever you prefer!
2012 21" Honda HRC-216 mower
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#1
2013 Exmark Commercial 30#2
2014 Exmark Lazer Z S Series EFI 52
Mclane 25" Reel Mower
2010 Husqvarna 21" mower
2008 Stihl FS250R Trimmer
2010 Stihl FS90R Trimmer
200? Stihl FC75 Edger
2013 Stihl BR 600 Blower
2013 Stihl HS81 t Hedge Trimmer
2014 Stihl SH 86 C E Blower Vac
2014 Stihl KM130R edger and trimmer shafts
200? Billy Goat AE550 Core Aerator
Old 04-01-2014, 06:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbljack View Post
just finished updating my quickbooks online, checkbook, and putting together my reports for taxes this year.....UGGG. And what do ya know..its 5:01 AM......time to get a few hours sleep...LOL. There is your verification that Im serious. Get used to this type of effort if you want to maintain a full time job, AND do a lawn care business. I will soon be pulling 60 hours easy a week, and when we get some rain and warm weather combined, ill be up to around 80 hours plus a week.

If you think this is bad, you should see my "things to do" list for tomorrow...oh wait....that would be later today

good night....or good morning..whichever you prefer!
Yes be verry busy right now my reg job pays the bills
Currently on a rate job which is a bit extra$ and kind of gives me money to help
Start my lawn business outside getting a mower which I got last year
Would be nice to one day work regular job part time
Posted via Mobile Device