Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2014, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Two Problems

This year I had a customer come to me and wanted her shrubs and bushes (roses) sprayed for june bugs and fertilize her shrubs. What is the best product to do this and what is the best time to apply it? I do plenty of lawn applications but am new to treating shrubs and bushes. Any information or insight will help!

My second problem is that this same lady has a full sized golf green in her back yard with about 3-4 feet of grass surrounding it and I am still supposed to treat (Spray and fertilize) and am not supposed to get any on the green. Any great ideas how not to get fertilizer on the green? Maybe a hand spreader or something?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

If your new to shrub care i wouldnt even consider treating roses.. they are usually a girls best friend and sometimes need to be treated on a weekly/bi weekly basis..they are very touchy and require a fair amount of trial and error or spraying of 1 branch as a test to see if your not going to kill the plant..they can get disease very easily and it will ruin your entire image to the customer someone might have more information but i try to stay away from roses because of there delicacy(besides the fertilizer)
Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Member

A lot of shrubs to not require fertilizer. If she insist just got get you a bag of 8-8-8 and sprinkle just a bit before a rain. Will not hurt. As far as roses , they can be tricky. Bayer makes a systemic 3 in 1 rose/flower care that I have had fantastic results with.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcl4slc View Post
A lot of shrubs to not require fertilizer. If she insist just got get you a bag of 8-8-8 and sprinkle just a bit before a rain. Will not hurt. As far as roses , they can be tricky. Bayer makes a systemic 3 in 1 rose/flower care that I have had fantastic results with.

Thanks. When do you apply that? Also curious about what to charge. I've heard people charging like $15 per small bush.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

When high and low temps =130. Before rain. Go light on 8-8-8
Old 03-31-2014, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

That may be a bit high. 8-8-8 should run you about 12 bag and the bayer should run about $25. I could do about 60 shrubs and 30 roses with the above in 30 min solo. If your licensed in landscape and pest control maybe you could but I'm assuming your not. I would probably charge her $85.00 to use the bag of 8-8-8 and canister of 3-1 systemic. I'm telling you her roses will be beautiful. Best stuff I have ever used for roses
Old 03-31-2014, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcl4slc View Post
That may be a bit high. 8-8-8 should run you about 12 bag and the bayer should run about $25. I could do about 60 shrubs and 30 roses with the above in 30 min solo. If your licensed in landscape and pest control maybe you could but I'm assuming your not. I would probably charge her $85.00 to use the bag of 8-8-8 and canister of 3-1 systemic. I'm telling you her roses will be beautiful. Best stuff I have ever used for roses
I am a licensed applicator. So yes, I'm licensed to apply on ornamentals as well. If I understand what you're saying.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-31-2014, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Gotcha, we'll charge extra for that and your knowledge. I am not big on spraying anything on roses. This is why I like that 3-1 so much. Roses are so delicate when chemical and heat are involved. I'm down here in the south and temps are crazy. Heat in the morning, air condition after lunch. Good luck

Last edited by Jcl4slc; 03-31-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Member

She doesn't have a ton of rose bushes, but she does have a lot of small bushes in general that need to be treated.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to avoid getting product on her golf green? Like I said there is about 4 feet of grass and then a retaining wall that drops down to the rest of the lawn.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Put it out with hands and gloves around the shrub drip line. A general fert like 8-8-8 would not hurt hergolf green anyways. If any does get on there just blow or water to make sure it's off grass blades.