Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-01-2014, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Hey guys, Its been ages since Ive made a vid or gave an update on where Im at. Its been drought here and nothing interesting to show.
I know there are a few people that follow this thread so figured they might be interested and maybe even help those who are having the same problem I was having.
We received around 250mm of rain late last week and a few showers since which have kicked things on a bit. The property in the vid usually gets done weekly but was being pushed back to 2 and 3 weekly to give an idea how dry its been.

Anyway, this is pretty much normal weekly growth on this property and I was getting terrible clumping cutting less off than this, and it would need double and triple cutting. The end result in the vid is from one cut. Yes, there are a lot of clippings on top but thats just the way it is but the main point is the lack of clumps, the lines of them I used to get.

Sorry about the "Um's" and "Ah's", I hadnt really planned on doing the vid so not much pre thought went into it. Ha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjU7Z...&feature=share
It certainly looks much better, what was your change to help the clumping?
Old 04-01-2014, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Alright, alright. Way better than before.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ridin's requested some pics but I'll make a little vid soon but basically, remove the angled piece at the rear of the deck, grind back smooth. Need to do a spot weld just inside the deck before cutting it out. Have to use Hustler HL blades as well.

The blades are a bit of an issue though as they use much more fuel and slower going up a slope.

For a while I was using one HL blade on the centre spindle and got good results but matching a new one up with the standard VX4 blade became a real headache. The blades I received wont match up. The HL blades dip down towards the end of the blade, probably from bending the flute. That in turn drags the blade lower than the outside blades so I'd get a scalping look on thicker grass.
Even using all 3 HL blades that happens as well so have to remember to cut a fraction higher. I even had to smack them with a hammer to bend them up a little to make up for how much they dip. Thats a huge PITA and not something I want or should need to do.

Im not sure if I was given cr@p HL blades or not but will certainly check them more carefully next time I buy a set.

But at the end of the day, Im getting FAR less of "those" clumps which makes me happy!
Old 04-01-2014, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So, these new HL blades, are they like these from my Deere-
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2014, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ridin's requested some pics but I'll make a little vid soon but basically, remove the angled piece at the rear of the deck, grind back smooth. Need to do a spot weld just inside the deck before cutting it out. Have to use Hustler HL blades as well.

The blades are a bit of an issue though as they use much more fuel and slower going up a slope.

For a while I was using one HL blade on the centre spindle and got good results but matching a new one up with the standard VX4 blade became a real headache. The blades I received wont match up. The HL blades dip down towards the end of the blade, probably from bending the flute. That in turn drags the blade lower than the outside blades so I'd get a scalping look on thicker grass.
Even using all 3 HL blades that happens as well so have to remember to cut a fraction higher. I even had to smack them with a hammer to bend them up a little to make up for how much they dip. Thats a huge PITA and not something I want or should need to do.

Im not sure if I was given cr@p HL blades or not but will certainly check them more carefully next time I buy a set.

But at the end of the day, Im getting FAR less of "those" clumps which makes me happy!
Good deal, the real test will come when you start back cutting the moisture laden mushy type grass that was giving you the real problem before. This will give us a more true idea, even with the fact you had a little rain before cutting the grass in the video, it is still cutting by far more easily than the grass you cut in what I would call your rainy season.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:45 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ridin, kinda but not really. I'll take a few pics for ya! The flute or sail seems longer than the blade in your pic. But photos never really do justice. Leave it with me!

Puppy, we had OVER 250mm of rain over 48hrs or so/ Thats 250, not 25mm. Im talking flash flooding and people dying kind of rain! 250mm is around 9 inches in your scale so let me tell you, it wasnt dry grass in the vid. Dry to touch, yes, kind a for the most part but it wasnt dry. Humidity? Grass doesnt really dry after that much rain and super humidity! Big difference!

If you go back and watch some older vids or back over this thread for pics Ive shown, many times, that the deck was, simply, cr@p! Especially when compared (which is was) to the XR7. No comparison!

I should not have to cut sh!t off the deck! I should not have to use HL blades cutting normal dry grass! I should not of spent so much time, effort and stress over any of this but unfortunately I was locked in. I havent heard a word from Hustler, neither the importers nor Hustler themselves in almost 12 months regarding the deck problem!

Thing is Puppy, one of the changes I made was one that I asked to do very early on, when the problem started. I was told NO, cant do it. All the baffles etc was because of that decision! I had to leave a certain amount of metal there when cutting off that angled piece and that started the baffle saga. It caused its own problems as it was something for stuff to catch on. If I had of just got the OK, it would of solved HALF the problem!

You are correct in that some of the stuff I cut last season was insanely moist but I always stated the truth. If it was wet I expected wet grass results, if it was dry and short I expect perfect results. Ive shown pics of taking like 1 inch off and getting clumps. Theres a vid "Clumping with deflector" showing, proving that I wasnt making any of this up. The reason I took that vid was to show even as spec ie deflector, it would clump in short grass!

Puppy, I know you love your SZ, we get that but you have to understand, not all their machines work all the time, everywhere. The problem is, how they try and sort the issues and thats a huge let down! A huge let down!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Apologies Puppy if that came across harsh! I just re-read it and yep, sounded sh!tty. Not my intention!
Old 04-02-2014, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those blades you are talking about....... IIRC, they are the same ones TLS ended up using to make his old Sz work for him? I know there are pics on here some where of them, but don't have a clue as to where to look after so much time has passed, so pics would be appreciated.

It's certainly understandable for you to get frustrated bro. No one I know of has had more BS to deal with regarding figuring out a solution to get a commercial grade mower to work for them in their situation, than you have. I'm glad that things have finally turned the corner in your favor.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Ridin, kinda but not really. I'll take a few pics for ya! The flute or sail seems longer than the blade in your pic. But photos never really do justice. Leave it with me!

Puppy, we had OVER 250mm of rain over 48hrs or so/ Thats 250, not 25mm. Im talking flash flooding and people dying kind of rain! 250mm is around 9 inches in your scale so let me tell you, it wasnt dry grass in the vid. Dry to touch, yes, kind a for the most part but it wasnt dry. Humidity? Grass doesnt really dry after that much rain and super humidity! Big difference!

If you go back and watch some older vids or back over this thread for pics Ive shown, many times, that the deck was, simply, cr@p! Especially when compared (which is was) to the XR7. No comparison!

I should not have to cut sh!t off the deck! I should not have to use HL blades cutting normal dry grass! I should not of spent so much time, effort and stress over any of this but unfortunately I was locked in. I havent heard a word from Hustler, neither the importers nor Hustler themselves in almost 12 months regarding the deck problem!

Thing is Puppy, one of the changes I made was one that I asked to do very early on, when the problem started. I was told NO, cant do it. All the baffles etc was because of that decision! I had to leave a certain amount of metal there when cutting off that angled piece and that started the baffle saga. It caused its own problems as it was something for stuff to catch on. If I had of just got the OK, it would of solved HALF the problem!

You are correct in that some of the stuff I cut last season was insanely moist but I always stated the truth. If it was wet I expected wet grass results, if it was dry and short I expect perfect results. Ive shown pics of taking like 1 inch off and getting clumps. Theres a vid "Clumping with deflector" showing, proving that I wasnt making any of this up. The reason I took that vid was to show even as spec ie deflector, it would clump in short grass!

Puppy, I know you love your SZ, we get that but you have to understand, not all their machines work all the time, everywhere. The problem is, how they try and sort the issues and thats a huge let down! A huge let down!
Quote:
Apologies Puppy if that came across harsh! I just re-read it and yep, sounded sh!tty. Not my intention!
I have no problem with your response, no need to apologize...All the Super Z's I've ever owned suit my personal cutting needs, as far as being in love with a mower, no, that is not the case, any mower that I find that does a better job with less effort, more comfort and in a faster time frame will be the mower I own.

Having a flash flood (and it makes no difference if it's 500 mm due to the pounding and excessive runoff) does not bring about the cutting conditions you dealt with when having all your clumping problems. This test will come when you've had a long enough period of rain to bring your grass back into full growth "mush" mode, and it continues to rain several times each week keeping the grass in that condition. You may not deal with that this year for the fact your weather may be much dryer.

I can tell a huge difference in cutting conditions this year versus last. There are areas I never came close to cutting at this time last year I've already cut with no problem. You may not get into the same wet cutting scenario you dealt with last year, and if not, your cutting this year will be entirely different.

I am only asking that if you do get into the mushy wet cutting conditions you dealt with last year that you keep us informed of the decks performance. When wet grass begins building under the deck air flow changes and discharge velocity decreases, just let us see how it reacts, of which I feel assured you will.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Ridin, yep,the same as TLS used. I couldnt find his pics either! They certainly get the clippings out but also a big drag on the engine which in turn means more fuel. But, I dont have to clean up clumps so I guess theres a saving.

Puppy, this year is polar opposite to last as far as rainfall. Many guys have struggled to keep going but Ive been lucky enough to do ok. Better than last actually as Ive been able to get onto the lawns. Its Autumn now so I dont expect things to get crazy but am expecting more showers and storms from tomorrow. I hope not too much!

Thing is, we had showers before the recent big drop and showers since. We had around 20mm the day before I mowed that property. The total rainfall in the week leading up to the cut was closer to 350mm. That grass was moist for sure, you can see it in those little clumps at the end of the vid. Dry grass wont stick together like that. But yeah, not like last year! But, Id get clumps on dryer, shorter and thinner grass than whats in the vid. The prop in the vid is great for testing as the grass grows so fast. It was all swamp before being developed and that keeps it greener and growing much more vigorously than most other props. The owners joke that I sneak fert onto it! The grass and weeds cover most lawn types I deal with as well.

Anyway, now that weve had some rain I will get better growth and will see if the deck sorted or not. Like Ive always said, if the grass is long, damp and thick then I expect problems but if the XR7 deck could cut it, the VX4 should at least match it. Not too much to ask is it? Its not like Ive come from one brand machine to another, I am comparing the same brand different decks on exactly the same properties with the exact same growth.