Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 04-01-2014, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotyledon View Post
we do a little this and that for advertising.
one fun and uncommon thing we do is, I target exit ramps off the highway ones that lead to money areas. in the fall ill plant a few hundred daffodils right on the ramp where you would get stuck in traffic for the light. then when in flower I place some of those cheap plastic signs (like you would see for an open house), no logo or anything on them just fun and funny sayings, plus the phone number. this year they'll say " we don't play ... get blown away " & don't panic its organic. it gets me good calls every year
That sounds really cool!
Old 04-02-2014, 04:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperscrow View Post
I can't find any of these sort of companies around here. Wish I could, but I'm in a pretty small town.
Worst case, check craigslist. Give them an area to do and a date. Then go check behind them and pay them. Maybe draw up a contract too.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

When you guys hand out flyers are you going up to the door to try to hand it to the customer? Or are you just putting them in the newspaper box?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

What about Craigslist? Do any of you get any good hits off of that or any other classifieds type website?
Old 05-15-2014, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Craigslist is where I have gotten about 60% of my new customers this season.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicktw25 View Post
When you guys hand out flyers are you going up to the door to try to hand it to the customer? Or are you just putting them in the newspaper box?
I place them in the door. I find that putting them anywhere else shows laziness. If anyone puts them on car windshields/doors, newspaper boxes, etc, I don't pay them. Anyone can drive around and shove flyers in a newspaper box, but it shows more that you took the time to walk up to their door and place it in. I get VERY annoyed when people knock on my door, so I don't/won't do it to others.

Craigslist can be good, but you need to be different than the other idiots on there. Cheap ad's/cheap looking ad's attract cheap people. typing too many words will also get you nothing, as no one wants to read your ad for a few minutes. Be creative, and make a few different ad's.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Actually I have found a longer ad on Craigslist that is very professional with photos gets the best results for me.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted up a couple CL ads nothing yet.

What information are you guys placing in it? Is it straight text with a picture, full image ad, or? Care to link?
Old 06-01-2014, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://athensga.craigslist.org/fgs/4443683679.html I put up pictures of my work, mention I'm insured, and talk a little bit about what I offer along with listing my website. This shows people first that I do quality work, and second that my work probably isn't the cheapest in town. I've been very fortunate here in the Athens area that basically none of the other services post pictures or have a link to a website or mention being insured. So I have gotten a lot of calls from CL so far this season.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm trying to get into caring for properties that will be flipped. I'm texting the owners directly. I've just started this today so I'm not sure how it will work.